Mike Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Simon Katich
Usman Khawaja
Marcus North
Peter Siddle
Steve Smith
Shane Watson

well, it doesn't really tell us that much! The only other player that is somewhat likely to play in the Ashes is probably Tim Paine, but can't select two wicketkeepers for a home tour :)

The most interesting thing is that clearly the selectors don't have absolute faith in Nathan Hauritz with Xavier Doherty's selection. Also two extra batsmen is a rarity so watch out North, Hussey and Clarke

Boomz

Would've liked to have seen Paine get a go over Haddin as he has been in good form & is a superior keeper imo but Haddin has the experience I suppose... I get the feeling the side is going to look exactly like the last ashes. Not a bad thing if they perform but if they don't, half of them will be on their last legs.

Alex7089

Looks pretty standard to me. No risks as expected :(
Hopefully Smith gets a go :D

valkorum

Picking 3 spinners for the squad?  Smith, Doherty and Hauritz.  SCG is about the only ground where you want more than 1.

Boomz

Makes u think they don't trust Hauritz though... Smith should be in before Doherty though.

valkorum

Quote from: BOOMZ on November 15, 2010, 06:57:52 PM
Makes u think they don't trust Hauritz though... Smith should be in before Doherty though.

If they dont trust him then dont pick him in the squad. 

Boomz

Agreed. He seems to get a lot of chances for someone that has never really performed.

Hawka

they  will cut the squad to 12/13 wen the shefield shield matches are done
1 fast bowler will be cut
1spinner will be cut
1batter will be cut
and 1 of any 1 else

reesbr

Where is Phillip Hughes?

Boomz

In the wilderness still coz of his technique I'd assume...

reesbr

Yeah and the Poms have him worked out

Alex7089

Quote from: BOOMZ on November 15, 2010, 07:10:48 PM
Agreed. He seems to get a lot of chances for someone that has never really performed.
Well that is completely untrue. He performed in the match-fixed game V Pakistan did he not?

ossie85

Quote from: reesbr on November 15, 2010, 07:23:53 PM
Where is Phillip Hughes?

Poor form. But surprised he didn't get in just because he plays for NSW

ossie85

Hauritz dropped for Doherty!

13 man squad: Ponting (c), Clarke (vc), Katich, Watson, Hussey, North, Haddin, Smith, Johnson, Doherty, Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Bollinger

Boomz

Yep... would prefer smith to play but he's not as good a bowler yet. Looks very similar to the last ashes.