Derby talk: Time for Woosh to swing the AXE

Started by Andrew, April 30, 2010, 06:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Eagles 1-4 and looking sick, against a Dockers team full of enthusiasm and youth who look at this game as their Grand Final (because, you know, they've never played in one before) and also needing to makeup for a flat performance v Richmond. The history of Derbies has been the Eagles always putting out a more experienced lineup than the Dockers and heading into this Derby it's just about the only advantage I see the Eagles could gain on Fremantle. So it would please to see Woosha do the following at the selection table today/tomorrow:

OUT: (93 games, no finals)

Scott Selwood
(no awareness with ball in hand, had no impact in games this season)
Will Schofield
(decision making not up to scratch, don't see a matchup for him and his kicking is not good enough for him to play in the forward line)
Brad Ebert
(worst decision-maker in the team for this season. Had a listless game against Sydney where he didn't even seem motivated enough to chase and man up. I really don't rate him)
Lewis Stevenson
(didn't do too much wrong in his debut but we need experience. Could keep him, see below regarding Hansen)

IN: (361 games, plenty of them finals)

Mark Nikoski
(serviceable in the games he's played this season. Has the pace, skills, and decision making under pressure we need)
Ben McKinely
(14 goals in 5 games in the WAFL is average but deserves a chance & if Lecras plays a bit of midfield I think he's a good fit for the forward line)
Quinten Lynch
(just play him anywhere! What better way to "prove himself" than on the Derby stage?)
Ashley Hansen
(only because he kicked 5 in the WAFL last week, but if it happens to be wet day you'd probably give Stevenson another game)

I add the disclaimer to my desired team, that I would be giving Le Cras 20-40% of gametime in the midfield, which the team clearly needs now with Kerr out. When Lecras is in midfield, you could play a forward line of Hansen, Lynch, Hams, McKinely, Kennedy (push-up forward) and pinch-hitting Nikoski & Waters too. Woosha seems too stubborn to even try something like this, but there was talk in the papers today of McKinely, Hansen, and Lynch coming into consideration.

Your thoughts?

ossie85

I think the Eagles with some luck could have been 3-2, so I don't think a need to panic.

I like S4, and Brett Ebert plays for Port Adelaide :) Reckon Brad's not too bad either, but could be under pressure.

Nikoski and Hansen are finished IMO, and McKinley hasn't lived up to potential. Love the Big Q though! Would have him in Collingwood anyday, what's up with that? Rumours that he signed with Gold Coast I heard and Worsfold pissed, but can't back that up!

Andrew

Yeah I just edited it to Brad Ebert. Wish we had Brett instead...

I've also heard Lynch has been talking to NFL clubs about a kicking career, but he's contracted until next season so I don't think we'll know the answer for a while. In the meantime we could use him in our team, let alone Collingwood's Rocca mach II (or III?), and the fact the Eagles should be 3-2 makes the situation even worse for mine. The Port Adelaide game was just thrown away and we didn't deserve to beat North Melbourne (other game I assume you're alluding too), it was the worst disposal and decision-making I've seen from an Eagles side.

Also, the lack the positional sense is astounding - anyone see the kick-in by Sydney that went just the 15m, straight down the center of the defensive 50? 4 Eagles players within talking distance of that Sydney player but none actually close enough to even pressure the mark taken. Our defensive setups from kick-ins are a good example of the lack of understanding current Eagles players have in playing the modern game for mine. I might be being too critical but try watching guys like Masten, Ebert, Schofield, Scott Selwood, Mitch Brown and Swift and where they stand when we don't have the ball.

Woosha, if you don't get "zoning" or your players don't, play man-on-man where you have had success. The teams' fitness is pretty good so may as well utilise it.

By the way, I strongly disagree with your assessment on Nikoski but I guess if he keeps getting injured you'll be proved right. Hansen probably has the best footy brain behind Lecras in the forward line but I only suggest him seeing as Woosha has already selected him this season... if it was wet though I would NEVER play Hansen. I'd also keep Lynch as a utility - if that's all he knows how to play - because he's surely a better defensive option than Schofield or McKenzie, but he can also play in the midfield and has to be a better kick than Masten/Ebert/Swift/Scott Selwood. Mitch Brown as well needs to be shifted back in defence or be dropped because he doesn't understand how to play as a deep forward.

valkorum

Quote from: Andrew on April 30, 2010, 06:28:43 AM
The history of Derbies has been the Eagles always putting out a more experienced lineup than the Dockers and heading into this Derby it's just about the only advantage I see the Eagles could gain on Fremantle.

And that has worked well for you the last 5 derbies

Justin Bieber

LYNCHY IS BACK IN!!!!!!! and that spud spangher is out ;D

valkorum

WEST COAST
B: Shannon Hurn, Darren Glass, Brett Jones
HB: Scott Selwood, Will Schofield, Andrew Embley
C: Matt Rosa, Matt Priddis, Brad Ebert
HF: Ashton Hams, Josh Kennedy, Beau Waters
F: Nic Naitanui, Quinten Lynch, Mark LeCras
Foll: Dean Cox, Adam Selwood, Tom Swift
Int (from): Mitchell Brown, Chris Masten, Eric Mackenzie, Patrick McGinnity, Ben McKinley, Brad Sheppard, Lewis Stevenson

In: Lynch, McKinley, Mackenzie, Swift, Sheppard
Out: Matthew Spangher, Bradd Dalziell

New: Brad Sheppard (East Fremantle)

FREMANTLE
B: Alex Silvagni, Chris Tarrant, Ryan Crowley
HB: Greg Broughton, Luke McPharlin, Roger Hayden
C: Adam McPhee, David Mundy, Paul Hasleby
HF: Michael Johnson, Matthew Pavlich, Stephen Hill
F: Matt de Boer, Chris Mayne, Hayden Ballantyne
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Michael Barlow, Paul Duffield
Int (from): Nathan Fyfe, Rhys Palmer, Anthony Morabito, Byron Schammer, Dylan Roberton, Kepler Bradley, Zac Clarke

In: Schammer, Palmer, Roberton, Bradley, Clarke
Out: Clancee Pearce, Jay van Berlo

Andrew

I'm pretty disappointed, I thought Dalziell has been better than Scott Selwood the past few weeks and is the more accomplished player. Both Stevenson & Sheppard is too much youth in the same side. Hopefully Mackenzie gets culled from that bench too because we don't need him, send Mitch Brown down back instead if need-be. Where the hell is Nicoski?! I'm worried about who's going to matchup on Ballantyne now, but maybe it's why Stevenson & Sheppard are picked...

Oh well great to see Lynch back at full forward, can't wait to see the crowds' reaction at the game. Bring on the Derby..!

Big_Cox14

'Bout time they got the Big Q back in & dropped 'Spuddy' Spangher.

I would've liked to have seen Scott Selwood dropped as well. Maybe for Nicoski. I hope McKinley makes the 22 this week as well. Both McKinley & Lynch give goal scoring potency.

Looking forward to seeing Lynchy throwing the glove off & kicking a big bag. Bring on the Derby ...!

Justin Bieber

Kennedy will get some help up forward now :D. No more number 1 defender for him ;).

I actually kinda like selwood. Needs to mature a bit with his Footy knowledge but looks to be a decent half back flanker if he keeps improving.

Pav29

Fremantle's young and energetic team should beat West Coast easily. I know West Coast has a lot of experience but they havent had the same free flowing game since the loss of Cousins and Judd. Some aree saying that Nic Naitanui is going to be better than Cousins and Judd. How could anyone say that? Chris Judd is one of the best players in that AFL and Ben Cousins was just as great to recent times. Nic is only a rookie but does have admirable talent. Comparing him to the likes os Cousins and Judd though is foolish.

Bluke

West Coasts list is younger and less experienced than Freo's in actual fact. It showed on the weekend.

Still an absence of a forward structure. They seem to play on coming out of defence (and turn it over). Then slow it down moving forward and kick to contests (where we are usually out numbered)

Hams impressed me again. He deserves a spot.

McKinley should be dropped. Good call on keeping Schofield and Skeeter in the team. Both did their jobs and worked hard. Skeeter did a good job on Hill and McGinnitey did well on Balla.

I'd like to see Sheppard get a run this week against Hawthorn.