Main Menu

8 gun midfield

Started by Ziplock, February 17, 2013, 03:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

So, people have thrown it around as a plausible suggestion, so I thought I would give it a spin to see what you could come up with. No really decent rookies outside of the mids have raised their heads yet, so I've been forced to go with a midpriced strategy in pretty much all lines- cool thing is I dont field any rookies :P

Jack Watts, Shaun Atley, Ben Jacobs, Cameron Pedersen, Tony Armstrong, Jasper Pittard
Jayden Pitt, Brett Goodes

Dane Swan, Gary Ablett jnr, Matthew Boyd, Jobe Watson, Trent Cotchin, Scott Pendlebury, Joel Selwood, Marc Murphy
Jaeger O'Meara, Jack Viney

Matthew Leuenberger, Setanta O'hAilpin
Majak Daw, Jarrod Witts

Curtly Hampton, Josh J. Kennedy, Chris Knights, Travis Varcoe, Shannon Byrnes, Brent Macaffer
Brad Dick, Tom Lee

92k left over.

watts   90
atley   75
jacobs   80
pedersen   78
armstrong   78
pittard   65
Swan   260
Ablett   125
Boyd   115
Watson   113
Cotchin   108
Pendlebury   118
Selwood   110
Murphy   108
Leuenbergery   90
O'hailpin   65
Hampton   78
JJ Kennedy   85
Knights   78
Varcoe   78
Byrnes   80
Macaffer   69
sum:   2146

that's my call on it.

I don't think anyone would have the balls to go it though unless they were running like 3+ teams :P

betch ya

yeah i did this with a second team last year - very inconsistent - got some great scores but also some lower ones. works ok at the start, but at finals time there was just no money left to upgrade the other lines. although this year with the extra midfielder it may work a bit better. and with  the 2 trades per round it may also work becuase you wont have to hold a gun mid who may be injured/ having a shower few rounds.

Football Factory

I dont have big enough balls plus i dont have 3 teams  ;) .. doesnt look too bad apart from the rucks .. i think you could squeeze Siposs in there with the extra cash or upgrade Setanta to Vardy... ? 

Agree with your projections apart from Varcoe(70) and Watts(85) i think they are a little too high. Players wont always score their average so you could decrease and increase the projected score from week to week 2080-2200 ?

Scrads

Surely you could have spread the remainder of the money around for better midpricers ? I may make a similar style team on fanplanner and see what it looks like.

gossiboy

Tried it with SC last year when it was 6 mids. Started off with pretty poor scores but really gained a head of steam when i upgraded all the other positions. Finished the season with 9 straight 2300+ scores and won all 3 head to head leagues.

Ziplock

I think the 2 trades does make it more viable... if I was going to run with a loaded mids I reckon a 6 premium would be more viable than an 8...

like, you need to start at least gibbs + rocky this season....

Memphistopheles

Quote from: Ziplock on February 17, 2013, 03:24:07 PM
No really decent rookies outside of the mids have raised their heads yet, so I've been forced to go with a midpriced strategy in pretty much all lines- cool thing is I dont field any rookies :P

This is exactly why you shouldn't do this.

All the good rookies are in the mids. So load up on mid rookies and use the cash elsewhere to upgrade your forward line and defence.

The strategy that makes the least sense is to pick 8 mid guns imo.

Memphistopheles

Actually Ziplock I've gone ahead and taken a look at what a team might look like with all midfield rookies (except Ablett and Swan).

It's very tempting to start with let me tell you that. It only starts on def mid-pricer and if you count Brown as a premium no forward mid-pricers or rookies.

Backs: Goddard, Gibbs, Grimes, Scotland, Stanley, Pedersen.    Stevenson, Docherty.

Mids: Swan, Ablett, Mitchell, Viney, Crouch, Lonergan, Goodes, O'Meara.    Hrovat, Jones.

Rucks: Goldstein, Leuenberger. McBean, Moller.

Forwards: Cox, Rockliff, Franklin, Robinson, Bartel, J Brown.    Macaffer, Lee

You've got two great captain options still (four if you count Buddy and Cox), all the best defenders and forwards and all the highest scoring rookies.

Only thing I'd like here is a Mid/Fwd link to go with the mid/def link.

Ziplock

yeah I see that as a far more viable strategy.

tbh though, Im trying to minimise my rookies fielded in general- I feel this season will be determined greatly by whoever can avoid the most vests :P

elephants