Main Menu

Real Life Cricket

Started by Barlow 21, October 10, 2011, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cicjose

i play indoor and cannot bowl at the death  :-[

picked up 3 stumpings tho on friday night :P

roo boys!

The one time I played indoor cricket that was the 1 thing I was good at - bowling at the death haha. So different to normal batting in cricket, hard to adjust.

Yeah KK my pre-season is going pretty well too, training about 4 times a week at this stage (POTENTIALLY could train about 6 or 7 but I don't want to break down before the season even starts :P)

Cookie311993

Took 10 wickets in my first weekend of cricket for the season in t20

Tominator

what are people's advice for overcoming pre-game batting nerves?

I'm not sure why but I just get really nervous in the lead-up to a game; didn't fare too great in the last summer with the bat and was wondering what people's tips are on beating these pre-game nerves? Thanks guys

Jay

Quote from: Tominator on October 17, 2012, 01:13:21 PM

I'm not sure why but I just get really nervous in the lead-up to a game; didn't fare too great in the last summer with the bat and was wondering what people's tips are on beating these pre-game nerves? Thanks guys
i have no tips :P same as you on this one mate...

T Dog

Hey Big Tom

Best advice I was given back in the dark ages was...

Relax and just be confident with what you can do.(whatever level that is..opening bat or in at 7th drop)
You are already as good at the sport as you are going to be by the time the game comes around, so stop worrying now.
(If you need/want to be better then thats a training issue)
You should just think about having some fun competing with your team mates in the sport you are playing..
Think of it as fun and much of the nerves should settle once the game starts.

There you go..some old peoples advice...lol  8)

Tominator

Quote from: T Dog on October 17, 2012, 05:59:53 PM

Hey Big Tom

Best advice I was given back in the dark ages was...

Relax and just be confident with what you can do.(whatever level that is..opening bat or in at 7th drop)
You are already as good at the sport as you are going to be by the time the game comes around, so stop worrying now.
(If you need/want to be better then thats a training issue)
You should just think about having some fun competing with your team mates in the sport you are playing..
Think of it as fun and much of the nerves should settle once the game starts.

There you go..some old peoples advice...lol  8)

cheers T-Dog... anybody else's input is also valued too

roo boys!

Different people get nerves more so than others, everyone is different. One thing to remember is, it isn't bad to be nervous. A little bit of nervous energy can make you switch on a little more, but if it gets to the point where you can't concentrate on your game then it is a bit of a problem. You just have to back yourself, you're there for a reason and a lot of the game, like most other sports, in between the ears. You have to ask yourself, every time you go out to bat are you in fear of failure? If you are then you're in trouble...I know it sounds easy but just relax and hit the ball! If you don't make runs, so what? There'll always be another innings and you have to have a positive mindsight every time you play.

Windigo

I always get nervous before I go out to bat. Best thing is to pretend to be 'super confident' before hand.  :P

Be arrogant about going out there. I said to one of my mates before I went out to bat that I'd smack a 6 near thy yonder shed.....

I did hit that 6 right where I said I would, and made 53 not out.  :P

Cicjose

go out to bat thinking you need to be a hero to chase a big total

have no fear and be confident in your ability

Tominator

thanks for all your help guys, cheers for all of you   :)

if you got any more ideas keep em coming!

Cicjose

start your innings by playing your favourite shot regardless of the delivery that comes

Spinking

My tip is to not be too stationary before going in to bat. Get in the nets, play practice shots, do whatever you can to keep moving.

Works for me anyway!

BB67th

Quote from: Spinking on October 17, 2012, 09:55:40 PM
My tip is to not be too stationary before going in to bat. Get in the nets, play practice shots, do whatever you can to keep moving.

Works for me anyway!
I would agree with this. Not that I do play cricket for a team, but in any sport I play, I've found that moving around, playing a few practice strokes or having a kick can really settle the nerves before a match.

roo boys!

Quote from: Cicjose on October 17, 2012, 09:34:46 PM
start your innings by playing your favourite shot regardless of the delivery that comes
Hmm no  :-\ I wouldn't try that, play every ball on it's merits.