Upgrade timeline for (ultra) premiums

Started by almax, February 09, 2011, 03:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch74

bomberboy0618

Prospector_1

Quote from: Patrician on February 09, 2011, 05:22:55 PM
This early, I think the byes (when matched with fantasy football finals) are the only thing we can go on right now.

And I am guessing the main idea of this is to guide how people can best avoid bringing in premiums which still have byes. Which will be important for an overall win.

I don't agree. There is more to go on than byes. To upgrade, you need cash, coming from cows. It takes time for the fruit to ripen . .. and for the price drops to happen. Rounds 6-8 and rounds 10-12 were often upgrade times in the past.

This thread copuld have much more info in it than how byes affect trades. Perhaps some focus on that broader picture can help to stop the petty sniping?

8-6 Suited

Blah blah balh I was wrong. I forgot about byes. :P

almax

Quote from: Prospector_1 on February 09, 2011, 05:40:33 PM

I don't agree. There is more to go on than byes. To upgrade, you need cash, coming from cows. It takes time for the fruit to ripen . .. and for the price drops to happen. Rounds 6-8 and rounds 10-12 were often upgrade times in the past.

This thread copuld have much more info in it than how byes affect trades. Perhaps some focus on that broader picture can help to stop the petty sniping?
Yes!

I never meant to say that the upgrades would be based purely on byes.
When you put down a suggestion of an upgrade, an explanation of the reasons why you chose that time as a possible upgrade time should be standard

bomberboy0618

Quote from: 8-6 Suited on February 09, 2011, 05:42:55 PM
Blah blah balh I was wrong. I forgot about byes. :P
sorry shaggy but u go off at people when they are wrong if i was an a*s id go off at u.
But im not so ur lucky :P
i reckon:
DANE SWAN
if u dont have him at the start ur dumb, but if u dont after rd 14 is the best time.

AndyJ

Upgrading to saints ultra premiums may appear quite straight forward at the moment (before we know 2011 team form etc). They have a relatively easy first 7 weeks of the season then tougher matches through to round 13.

round 10 Freo (in WA)
round 11 Collingwood (mcg)
round 12 Western Bulldogs (etihad)
round 13 Geelong (MCG)
round 14 2nd BYE

Chances are, they'll struggle in afew of those games and some of their premiums may be at their cheapest towards the 2nd bye in R14.
Thats then followed by another string of easier games through till the end of the season, bar the collingwood game in R21.

Then again, this is the saints .. most people will already have Goddard/st.nick locked into their team, and a shortlist for other positions with lenny/monty/dal etc on it aswell. Best of luck! :)

Prospector_1

Great post AndyJ, showing its not just the byes that matter - so does the rest of the fixture!

bomberboy0618

Quote from: AndyJ on February 09, 2011, 07:02:58 PM
Upgrading to saints ultra premiums may appear quite straight forward at the moment (before we know 2011 team form etc). They have a relatively easy first 7 weeks of the season then tougher matches through to round 13.

round 10 Freo (in WA)
round 13 Geelong (MCG)
round 14 2nd BYE

Chances are, they'll struggle in afew of those games and some of their premiums may be at their cheapest towards the 2nd bye in R14.
Thats then followed by another string of easier games through till the end of the season, bar the collingwood game in R21.

Then again, this is the saints .. most people will already have Goddard/st.nick locked into their team, and a shortlist for other positions with lenny/monty/dal etc on it aswell. Best of luck! :)
you legend andy, thanks :D
that could also help if say any rookies for the saints get debuts in the middle of the season may make u some quick cash.

Patrician

Quote from: Prospector_1 on February 09, 2011, 05:40:33 PM

Well at least I'm not going to resort to name calling  ;D

I'll admit I hadn't considered the draw, but for me those tasty Premiums could still perform well in the big matches. And those rookies I plan to use for cash might not get picked, or injured...or even do a Relton!

but yeah, I'm not saying its all about the byes, but that they're pretty much the only thing we can count on. What's that old saying, there are only two sure things, death and byes?  ;)

pyronerd

Quote from: AndyJ on February 09, 2011, 07:02:58 PM

round 10 Freo (in WA)
round 13 Geelong (MCG)
round 14 2nd BYE

i actually think they may score better in these tough rounds, we always play so much better against good sides, so much so that last year i was more confident that we would beat geelong in the qualifying final then i was of us beating adelaide in round 22, and we lost to adelaide but beat geelong  :P

Patrician

Ok, so I'll have a burl at some other variables (just to prove myself wrong):

Slow starters (e.g. Goodes) - when have they started firing in the past? When should you look to see an improvement so you can buy them?

Home ground advantage (e.g. NicNat) - are there any Premiums that don't like playing away? So could you look to bring them in following a game away where they'll score poorly? (long stretch this one).

Resting (e.g. Chapman) - are there Premiums getting on in life that you know will get rested later in the season? And what impact might this having on your timing of picking them up?

The SC/DT finals (e.g. Carlton, Essendon, Geelong and North Melb) - does this mean you avoid these teams? Save a trade in boot them before their bye? Or wait and bring them in immediately after their bye?

almax

Quote from: Patrician on February 11, 2011, 02:32:23 PM
The SC/DT finals (e.g. Carlton, Essendon, Geelong and North Melb) - does this mean you avoid these teams? Save a trade in boot them before their bye? Or wait and bring them in immediately after their bye?

In regards to this, the approach im taking is not selecting premiums from these sides, in fact i have very few player from these sides for this reason. The ones i have (heppell, hibbered, gibbs, petrie and richardson) are all with the exception of probably Gibbs likely to be traded out at some point.

Oh and i have Chappy too, but this train of thought now has me thinking i might trade him for J Brown.

I'd love to have Judd, had him last year and he was great, but having such a superstar on the bench for the finals is a real turnoff.