Saints 2015 Draft, Trade and Delisting Thread

Started by Pkbaldy, August 27, 2015, 07:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pkbaldy

Which movements would you like to see the Saints make? Realistic or not, be fun to see everyone's ideas on it!

Pkbaldy

From AFL's "Who is you club targeting at the trade table?
By Nathan Schmook
ST KILDA
The Saints have strategically bolstered their draft presence in recent seasons, but a successful 2015 should see them become more active in player trade and free agency discussions.
Coach Alan Richardson has been strong on not targeting experienced free agents, so any potential recruits would have to fit their youthful list profile.
Brisbane Lions midfielder James Aish, 19, is one such player, and expect the Saints to explore ways to get involved there. Outside speed would be their priority, however, making Gold Coast midfielder Aaron Hall, 24, a more likely option. Hall is out of contract and the Suns are struggling to re-sign him with salary cap issues.
Harley Bennell, 22, is a less likely but still feasible target. There is also no reason the Saints shouldn't get in the queue to sign Geelong speedster Steven Motlop, 24, who has mostly been linked to Richmond and North Melbourne.
Their best option of landing a quality player under 25 who can add to their midfield is by parting with their first-round pick, likely to be No.6. They could seek to turn their first and second round picks into two picks in the mid teens. Future picks would also need to come into play, unless they part with valued players, such as ruckman Tom Hickey.
Dream trade: Greater Western Sydney midfielder Josh Kelly, 20, who grew up in St Kilda's heartland in Melbourne's south-east, would be the perfect fit. To snare the No.2 pick from 2013, the Saints would need to give up their No.6 pick this year and a future second-round selection as a starting point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From reading this, clearly Bennell or Motlop would be the best choices, but both of them would cost us a fortune to get!!

Josh Kelly would also be a handy pick up...But I also don't see that happening, and I wouldn't want to give up pick 6 and a future 2nd rounder for him...

Aaron Hall would be a very handy pick up for us, maybe that pace on the outside we are looking for?? He's stocks are pretty high at the moment, but he knows himself that he'll slowly get pushed out once JOM, Swallow, Prestia and Ablett crash back into the side. He's only 24 as well, and we are looking at being highly competitive 2017+ So he will only be 26 years old once we start cracking into finals.

Bill Manspeaker

starting with the delistings, I think Siposs is gone which is a shame because we had high expectations of him (even though he was taken at 75 or whatever it was) and he obviously has the talent but for whatever reason can't cement a spot in the team.

I think Simpkin is probably gone as well. loves a contest but he too can't cement a spot in the team

Spencer White... :(
no idea what will happen to Spence but I don't want us to delist him. hopefully we sign him on for 2016 and give him a chance. the hard part is I think our forward line is pretty well set. maybe he can learn to play ruck?... don't see that happening

Markworth
unknown what will happen to Marky. hopefully isn't delisted and can get his body right cos the kid deserves some flowerin luck

Schneids obviously retired so that opens a spot on the rookie list

BoredSaint

Siposs, Simpkin and White are definitely gone

Markworth I reckon is gone as well but I can see Richo giving him a game next round just for like a fairytale sake

Other players out of contract:
Ray- Not sure on this one. He's been in and out of the team a bit
Fisher-  Probably retire or maybe he gets a rookie list reprieve similar to Schneider
Gilbert- Good form of late means he'll probably get another year at least.
Minchington- I reckon gets 1 more year. Shows he can kick a good goal just needs to maintain form throughout a game
Pierce: Gone. 3 Ruckman ahead of him including an American bloke whos only played for like 3 years
Shenton: Probably gets 1 more year

With Schnieds going as well that could be like 7-8 spots freed up on the list.

1 spot is going to Sinclair as a rookie elevation and not sure if Holmes also gets a spot or not.

Other players on the borderline of being out: Saunders, Murdoch but they are still youngish and have shown a bit previously (and I think are contracted till end of next year)

AND SINCE WHEN DID TOM LEE GET A CONTRACT TILL 2018 >:(

Exciting times ahead!

If we can get in a couple of runners on the outside through trade/draft. Team is looking pretty damn solid for the next 4-5 years at least

Pkbaldy

Delist Predictions;

Spencer White -  Struggles to perform well in the Development squad... Couldn't of been any more different to what everyone was expecting...

Arryn Siposs - Played mainly for Sandringham, with lackluster stats and performances... Pointless keeping him with the direction we want to go...

Lewis Pierce - Behind 3 other ruckman, although has been handy for Sandringham. So probably be delisted, but still try and keep him as a Sandringham player

Tom Simpkin - The chances of him staying would be super slim, handy for a 2s player... But yet again, not good for the direction we are going...

Retirements Prediction/Confirmation:

Adam Schnieder - Obvious he is retiring this year

Sam Fisher - Could be placed on the rookie list, but don't see Chips going into next year in the senior squad.

Rookie Elevations:

Jack Sinclair - Does this need an explanation? I rate this kid much much much much much higher than Eli  Templeton, and if he can get an elevation after 1 year this kid can too.

I reckon Markworth will stay for 1 more year. Starting to play good 2s footy, and hasn't had much luck with injuries... So we should give the guy a chance.

BoredSaint

Sinclair has already been elevated PKbaldy. They gave him a 2 year contract midseason meaning he will be elevated :D

Pkbaldy

Quote from: BoredSaint on August 29, 2015, 01:23:31 PM
Sinclair has already been elevated PKbaldy. They gave him a 2 year contract midseason meaning he will be elevated :D

Yeah I know, was just chucking in the guys who I think will get elevated. No idea if Holmes will yet! Should be :P

Holz

Quote from: Pkbaldy on August 29, 2015, 01:03:47 PM

I reckon Markworth will stay for 1 more year. Starting to play good 2s footy, and hasn't had much luck with injuries... So we should give the guy a chance.

seems silly to get rid of him just as he is getting his body right.

one more injury and you have to get rid of him though.

should give him a game this week and see how he goes.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Holz on September 03, 2015, 11:12:19 AM
Quote from: Pkbaldy on August 29, 2015, 01:03:47 PM

seems silly to get rid of him just as he is getting his body right.

one more injury and you have to get rid of him though.

should give him a game this week and see how he goes.

I'm hoping they give him,  lewy pierce and Az Sipposs.

BoredSaint

powersuperkents

St Kilda may poach Nathan Freeman from the Magpie

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-12/young-pie-on-the-move-saints-circling-freeman

If he gets a clear run from injury, he could be an incredible pick-up (has a lot of potential - definitely the best 'bursting' clearance prospect in the comp.)

Pkbaldy

Quote from: powersuperkents on September 12, 2015, 06:25:17 PM

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-12/young-pie-on-the-move-saints-circling-freeman

If he gets a clear run from injury, he could be an incredible pick-up (has a lot of potential - definitely the best 'bursting' clearance prospect in the comp.)
But we'd most definitely give up our top pick... I don't know if he is worth it...

powersuperkents

Quote from: Pkbaldy on September 12, 2015, 10:28:20 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on September 12, 2015, 06:25:17 PM

But we'd most definitely give up our top pick... I don't know if he is worth it...
Good point, I think the Pies should just settle for the 2nd round pick because of the injury concerns. The Saints could give that a try (the pies aren't as stubborn as the Bombers who think their players are god's gifts to the earth when it comes to trading...)

I don't see Richardson giving up the first rounder for Freeman though, he'll be looking for a player with at least 50-100 games under his belt.

Bill Manspeaker

yeah I wouldn't wanna give up our first for Freeman. if we could somehow work pick 5 into getting both Carlisle and Freeman and maybe something else, that'd probably be a win. both come with risks though

powersuperkents

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on September 13, 2015, 01:45:15 AM
yeah I wouldn't wanna give up our first for Freeman. if we could somehow work pick 5 into getting both Carlisle and Freeman and maybe something else, that'd probably be a win. both come with risks though
That is going to be difficult. Trading with the Bombers is the worst experience list managers & recruiters can encounter. Doing a 3-way trade with them will be near impossible.

You remember the whole Paddy Ryder fiasco, where if they didn't trade him he would sue them for a breach of contract. Nonetheless, they demanded pick #17, #37, and one of... Wingard, Wines, or Hartlett. Essendon also took 18 days to accept pick #26 for Crameri from the Bulldogs and it was when they finally realised that they were going to lose him anyway...

Even better, they lost Caddy due to this stubborn trading attitude (I feel for the fans, the club never gains more than expected and they miss out of players altogether when the ask to pay less) in which they tried offering a late first round pick and "a player [we] didn't want". 

They are a pain when it comes to trading and I think that's why North Melbourne are avoiding them altogether (although they claim it's because Carlisle's preference to play defence - where he plays best) and why the Saints will delay talking to them for now (no point making an offer yet, when Carlton are in talks with them and crazy enough to actually consider whatever their initial demand will be).

They should go for Carlisle, it's a good idea, but I'm not going to say it won't be frustrating.

Hopefully the Saints land Carlisle (would be a solid defender for your club), but I think negotiations will start with the Bomber's requesting Jack Billings... (which would be completely unreasonable but a typical Essendon request)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/trades-st-kilda-will-deal-for-jake-carlisle-but-will-not-offer-jack-billings-to-essendon-in-return/story-e6frf3e3-1227523496969 - at least this provides assurance that it will never come to that  :P