Main Menu

Brisbane Discussion

Started by nrich102, April 05, 2013, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

powersuperkents

Quote from: strikes91 on February 21, 2016, 11:46:21 PM
Wind aside we still have shocking skills. Fumbling and shanking kicks still  :(
To be fair, Brisbane & Gold Coast both fielded weak sides and the wind made almost any set shot impossible (worst winds I've seen at an AFL level game - it didn't stop either).

I liked Bell, Paparone, Mayes, Robinson, Robertson, and Mathieson in Brisbane (I was defiant that Keays would be in a more AFL-ready position at this point in time, I was wrong, Mathieson looks like a natural contested mid). Hipwood looks far too underdeveloped to be getting a game at AFL-level anytime soon (it doesn't help that Rory Thompson was pushing him around and recklessly tackling Brisbane's players). Schache didn't score a goal, but looked good and Josh Walker finally looks useful - only the one goal though, but he is creating a tall presence in the forward that is needed.

I really liked Touk Miller from the Gold Coast. DT-wise I don't think much will happen, however with Bennell gone I would go out on a limb and say that I would not be surprised if he went 85-95 ppg. in Supercoach. Good to see that Steven May is still working hard as well (I feel for Sam Day - Peter Wright won't take long to jump ahead of him in the pecking order).

Most disappointing Sun was Nick Malceski (I thought he was going to rebound from last year's shocker)

Most disappointing Lion was Jarrad Jansen imo. Very promising in the VFL, however watching him on Sunday I have grown doubts over whether he is AFL standard (literally all of Brisbane and Gold Coast's inexperienced players had more of an impact than him). Instantly ruled him out of any fantasy selections  :-\ (really thought the kid showed signs in the VFL). It may have just been the windy conditions though (but that's not really an excuse for an inside mid)

Ziplock

Quote from: powersuperkents on February 23, 2016, 12:04:37 AM
Quote from: strikes91 on February 21, 2016, 11:46:21 PM
Wind aside we still have shocking skills. Fumbling and shanking kicks still  :(
To be fair, Brisbane & Gold Coast both fielded weak sides and the wind made almost any set shot impossible (worst winds I've seen at an AFL level game - it didn't stop either).

I liked Bell, Paparone, Mayes, Robinson, Robertson, and Mathieson in Brisbane (I was defiant that Keays would be in a more AFL-ready position at this point in time, I was wrong, Mathieson looks like a natural contested mid). Hipwood looks far too underdeveloped to be getting a game at AFL-level anytime soon (it doesn't help that Rory Thompson was pushing him around and recklessly tackling Brisbane's players). Schache didn't score a goal, but looked good and Josh Walker finally looks useful - only the one goal though, but he is creating a tall presence in the forward that is needed.

I really liked Touk Miller from the Gold Coast. DT-wise I don't think much will happen, however with Bennell gone I would go out on a limb and say that I would not be surprised if he went 85-95 ppg. in Supercoach. Good to see that Steven May is still working hard as well (I feel for Sam Day - Peter Wright won't take long to jump ahead of him in the pecking order).

Most disappointing Sun was Nick Malceski (I thought he was going to rebound from last year's shocker)

Most disappointing Lion was Jarrad Jansen imo. Very promising in the VFL, however watching him on Sunday I have grown doubts over whether he is AFL standard (literally all of Brisbane and Gold Coast's inexperienced players had more of an impact than him). Instantly ruled him out of any fantasy selections  :-\ (really thought the kid showed signs in the VFL). It may have just been the windy conditions though (but that's not really an excuse for an inside mid)

Maybe he was just under the weather?

I remember ( a few years back now), when everyone (including myself) was cursing Foley for scoring so shower all game. Then it turned out he had gastro, and had spent like every time he went off the field showerting his guts out.

GoLions

Bundy will miss the rest of NAB after having finger surgery, still expected to start round 1 against the Iggles.

Claye been doing well off half back in match simulation drills is awesome, but hopefully he doesn't take Harwood's spot if/when he is fit :'(
Although if we have Hanley and Rich running through the middle of the ground most of the time, I wouldn't mind Harwood and Claye both playing off half back :)

Close and West also training well, coming off their injuries. Don't see Close being best 22 myself though, but if he trains well and performs in the reserves and other guys aren't going well, could get a spot.

Relevant article: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-02/finger-surgery-sidelines-lion-allen-christensen-for-nab-challenge

Ringo

Quote from: GoLions on March 02, 2016, 05:28:14 PM
Bundy will miss the rest of NAB after having finger surgery, still expected to start round 1 against the Iggles.

Claye been doing well off half back in match simulation drills is awesome, but hopefully he doesn't take Harwood's spot if/when he is fit :'(
Although if we have Hanley and Rich running through the middle of the ground most of the time, I wouldn't mind Harwood and Claye both playing off half back :)

Close and West also training well, coming off their injuries. Don't see Close being best 22 myself though, but if he trains well and performs in the reserves and other guys aren't going well, could get a spot.

Relevant article: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-02/finger-surgery-sidelines-lion-allen-christensen-for-nab-challenge
Do not forget Lester as well - Seems to be in favour with some on the coaching panel.  Mayes has also been runninf off half back at times. Paine also been training in defence and he may be the surprise call up for Clarke but hope not as Gardiner deserves his chance.

GoLions

Quote from: Ringo on March 02, 2016, 05:35:33 PM
Quote from: GoLions on March 02, 2016, 05:28:14 PM

Do not forget Lester as well - Seems to be in favour with some on the coaching panel.  Mayes has also been runninf off half back at times. Paine also been training in defence and he may be the surprise call up for Clarke but hope not as Gardiner deserves his chance.
I'd prefer Mayes around half forward tbh, not sure where to put Lester. Then there's Cutler as well...

At least we are having competition for spots now!

strikes91

Cutlers in for a big year in my opinion. Strong dashing half back runner.

GoLions

Quote from: strikes91 on March 03, 2016, 12:18:10 PM
Cutlers in for a big year in my opinion. Strong dashing half back runner.
Will be interesting to see if we ever go with both of Harwood and Cutler...I really like both of them haha

Ringo

This is our NAB 2 Team

1. Ben Keays, 2. Ryan Harwood, 4. Ryan Bastinac, 5. Mitch Robinson, 7. Tom Bell, 8. Rohan Bewick, 10. Daniel Rich, 11. Pearce Hanley, 12. Stefan Martin, 14. Josh Walker, 15. Dayne Zorko, 18. Nick Robertson, 21. Daniel Merrett, 22. Marco Paparone, 23. Josh Schache, 24. Liam Dawson, 25. Daniel McStay, 26. Tom Cutler, 28. Lewis Taylor, 29. Jaden McGrath, 30. Eric Hipwood, 31. Harris Andrews, 32. Sam Mayes, 34. Jonathan Freeman, 35. Ryan Lester, 36. Rhys Mathieson, 38. Tom Rockliff, 44. Archie Smith, 46. Billy Evans

3 to be cut on Sunday Will be interesting which3 although suspect one would be Archie Smith. Christensen, Beams and Clarke the big guns missing with Clarke the only one doubtful for Rd 1.  Lester, Harwood, Cutler, Mayes and maybe Dawson/McGrath fighting for 2 HB positions and 1 bench spot.  Claye Beams will also put pressure on when fit.
Interesting that Gardiner not named so it would appear that McStay has the inside running for Clarkes position.

Close is returning via NEAFL this weekend as well so mire forward option pressure as well.  Really like our depth this year something we have lacked in the past.

RaisyDaisy

Zorko signed on til 2020. 4 year extension worth 500k a year

GoLions

Leppa answered some questions on Twitter this morning. In summary:
- Harwood will be playing off half back
- Claye Beams will play off half back and the wing
- Bell will play as a big bodied half forward
- Zorko to get some more midfield time
- Archie Smith and Trent West a chance to get games to help out Martin
- Schache will play games, and Williams has also been good
- ROCKY WILL BE FINE

T Dog

Quote from: GoLions on March 10, 2016, 12:59:39 PM
Leppa answered some questions on Twitter this morning. In summary:
- Harwood will be playing off half back
- Claye Beams will play off half back and the wing
- Bell will play as a big bodied half forward
- Zorko to get some more midfield time
- Archie Smith and Trent West a chance to get games to help out Martin
- Schache will play games, and Williams has also been good
- ROCKY WILL BE FINE

Rocky??? Rocky??..who is this Rocky being talked about??

Ringo

This is a very telling stat from the game

"Lions had 50 defensive half chains for 12 inside-50s for a score of 0.4.(4). We also had 50 chains for 12 inside-50s & a score of 4.1.(25)."

Trust this being worked on.  We still lost the clearances as well but much better in this area than last year though.

strikes91

I like Lester and Bell up forward. Good awkward size behind the 2/3 talls we will play

nas

strikes91

Zorko offered a week for hitting Davis in the throat