Main Menu

Brisbane Discussion

Started by nrich102, April 05, 2013, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roo boys!

Quote from: Ringo on December 02, 2015, 05:52:37 PM
Basti was inside mid before Scott moved him outside and suspect we will use him inside as a direct replacement for Redden. Mathieson will be a jandy back up to all three though.
Yeah I assume Basti was targeted to play inside and willing to guess that's half the reason he decided to make the move. Was one of the most promising youngsters at the club whilst he was playing inside a few years back, he just doesn't have the pace or polish to play that outside mid role

nrich102

Anyone have any news on the scratch match yesterday? The article on the website is extremely vague. Some good signs coming from it though.

Ringo

Did not get to it yesterday. Know O'Donnell only put up a brief report but it did have some interesting things it.  It confirmed my previous observations that Hipwood is being used forward and Matthieson appears to be ahead of Keays.

nrich102

Couple of interesting things from Lepas q and a today

- Paine  :o, McStay and Mayes will all play defence this year
- Rich training with the mids
- Looks like West won't get too much game time and Walker/Freeman/Close playing as 2nd ruck

T Dog

Quote from: nrich102 on January 28, 2016, 08:26:24 PM

- Looks like West won't get too much game time and Walker/Freeman/Cloe playing 2nd ruck

Rich...that's handy   ;D

Ringo

Quote from: T Dog on January 28, 2016, 08:33:03 PM

- Looks like West won't get too much game time and Walker/Freeman/Cloe playing 2nd ruck

Rich...that's handy   ;D
Do not like it as he will get tagged in midfield and has yuet to convince he can break it.

Regarding Rucks Stef has the capacityto ruck for 80% of time and those mentioned will ruck in forward half with Merrett and Andrews rucking inback half if required.

GoLions

Yeah prefer Rich off half back tbh

nrich102

Leppa thinks Stef can do 90% game time. Is that a tad ambitious?

Ringo

90% ly 89/85maybe but definitely 80/85% as he did it this year in most games,

powersuperkents

- Looks like West won't get too much game time and Walker/Freeman/Close playing as 2nd ruck
That surprises me. I thought he was showing real potential as a high marking forward in 2015. I always thought he would be a swingman in the long-term (high half-forward flanker rotating with manning up players down back - could be a potential CHF, however I think Harris Andrews should continue his progress and lock that role down - Andrews was fantastic this year, esp. considering his age and lack of experience in which case he was phenomenal).

The only problems with McStay up forward in 2015 was his set shot accuracy and his frequent failure to execute difficult contested marks (all common ones for developing players so no big deal). Regarding the latter, esp. in the home game against the Crows, he would win the contest among the pack, leap above everyone, get his hands cleanly on the ball, but would always drop it. I saw this one 4 to 5 occasions in that final quarter against the Crows (and the failure to execute the marks ultimately cost them the game). On all occasions, the marks would have been incredibly (certain mark of the year nominees for that round), but he just could not hold it. Obviously this is a good sign because the more he does it, the better he will become at executing the marks and hopefully can frequently do it in the future (I see a strong future for him as a wing man).

He didn't really get much time as a defender in 2015 from what I recall (esp. when compared to 2014). So is this move to provide him with experience down the back (as the forward line is already stacked and now would be the right time to do it)?

I'm just hoping that Leppa sees him as more than a one position player because if the kid can execute these pack marks both up forward and down the back he could become a real talent in the AFL. 

nrich102

McStay will be used as a swingman I think, but will predominately play defense. He didn't play heaps down back last year, but when he did imo he looked better down there.

Ringo

Leppa has also said McStay showed a lot of promise down forward,  Suspect his u;timate position will be a swingman but think Leppas thinking is to let him develop as a backmen until ready to go as swingman.  as you point out still a lot of development to do and much easier in the one position to start with.

strikes91

No need for McStay to be up front. Walker, Freeman, Schache and Close all getting around. Mcstay can be very lazy up forward. At least down the back he has a responsibility

Ringo

Agree Strikes was only answering a previous query.  Hipwood has been training with the forward group as well so we appear to be grooming him forward as well.  Finally starting to see some depth across all lines which is great for the club going forward.

Zorks will more than likely sign a contract extension this week as well with Rocky also seeking to extendf his contract beyond 2017.

Ringo

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-02-12/match-report-intraclub

Report on this afternoons intra club trial.  Harwood was one of the best so hope he can make the Round 1 team.