Main Menu

Brisbane Discussion

Started by nrich102, April 05, 2013, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Money Shot

Quote from: nrich102 on October 09, 2015, 10:12:30 AM
If Aish walks to the PSD, do you think we will take him with pick 2, assmuming Carlton don't take him?
Carlton will take him.

Ricochet

SJ's coaching mind must be >>>>> than Adcocks

powersuperkents

Quote from: Ricochet on October 09, 2015, 11:24:43 AM
How can you be sure about that?

Yes he did play under Bomber Thompson, but legendary players rarely make good coaches (Paul Roos, the Scott Brothers, & Simpson are the only legendary players that are talented coaches off the top of my head).

Strangely, in a lot of sporting comps, spud players (not referring Adcock here - he was a solid defender over the course of his career, referring to 40 gamers etc.) become the most talented coaches.

But then again Leigh Matthews is arguably one of the greatest players and coaches in history. At the end of the day, it's down to the individual and what they have to work with 

Ricochet

Quote from: powersuperkents on October 09, 2015, 01:10:59 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on October 09, 2015, 11:24:43 AM
How can you be sure about that?

Yes he did play under Bomber Thompson, but legendary players rarely make good coaches (Paul Roos, the Scott Brothers, & Simpson are the only legendary players that are talented coaches off the top of my head).

Strangely, in a lot of sporting comps, spud players (not referring Adcock here - he was a solid defender over the course of his career, referring to 40 gamers etc.) become the most talented coaches.

But then again Leigh Matthews is arguably one of the greatest players and coaches in history. At the end of the day, it's down to the individual and what they have to work with
I did say "must be" because Brissie are considering him for that player/coach role but didn't consider Adcock....

Also over the past few years its been noted quite often how smart SJ is in terms of coaching and that he was destined to be a coach

powersuperkents

In trade winds today;

"Of course, a direct Bastinac-for-Aish swap is the Lions' preference but Aish insists he wants to don the black and white next year."

Who gives a shower what Aish's preference is... if he wants to leave (and he's already flowered over the club enough), the Lions should be able to trade him to the team offering the best deal possible...

I'm tired of these players thinking they dictate the terms. He isn't a free agent, his desired club therefore should not mean shower...

Ricochet

Quote from: powersuperkents on October 18, 2015, 12:50:21 PM
In trade winds today;

"Of course, a direct Bastinac-for-Aish swap is the Lions' preference but Aish insists he wants to don the black and white next year."

Who gives a shower what Aish's preference is... if he wants to leave (and he's already flowered over the club enough), the Lions should be able to trade him to the team offering the best deal possible...

I'm tired of these players thinking they dictate the terms. He isn't a free agent, his desired club therefore should not mean shower...
lol no. You can't just trade a person to any team you want

powersuperkents

Quote from: Ricochet on October 18, 2015, 01:07:29 PM
In trade winds today;

AFL players have too many rights, the only difference between free agency & an out of contract player therefore means that with a trade you may get more, or less, than a restricted free agency compo pick (usually less).

It's getting ridiculous, the AFL needs to realise it's a business and if Aish is not willing to add value to Brisbane by playing there, the club made an investment and should be entitled to get the best return on it when he leaves - Aish should have no say in the matter. The AFLPA should only concern itself with injury compensation imo

quinny88

Just met Simon Black at the Brisbane airport, top bloke. Still looks in good enough nick to be playing!

Grazz

Quote from: powersuperkents on October 18, 2015, 01:10:31 PM
In trade winds today;

AFL players have too many rights, the only difference between free agency & an out of contract player therefore means that with a trade you may get more, or less, than a restricted free agency compo pick (usually less).

It's getting ridiculous, the AFL needs to realise it's a business and if Aish is not willing to add value to Brisbane by playing there, the club made an investment and should be entitled to get the best return on it when he leaves - Aish should have no say in the matter. The AFLPA should only concern itself with injury compensation imo

I tend to agree mate, it is getting ridiculous. At most name the state they want to play in then the club chases the best result for the club but even that has it's issues as the clubs in that state (outside Victoria) may have no need for that particular kind of player. Something needs to change though players two years into the system can not be telling the club that gave them a shot and a wage who their only going to play for as it leaves the club with very little leverage to get the best deal for the time and effort and cost they've put into a player.
The AFL by their inaction over the last few years has let the problem fester and now these players basically fresh into the system think they have the all the rights and the power to do as they please, the tail is wagging the dog.

Ringo

Quote from: quinny88 on October 18, 2015, 01:19:09 PM
Just met Simon Black at the Brisbane airport, top bloke. Still looks in good enough nick to be playing!
Yep he actually does a fair bit of the running with the boys at training. Blackie would be in my top 3 Lions players on and off the field.

Ringo

Quote from: Grazz on October 18, 2015, 02:00:29 PM
In trade winds today;

I tend to agree mate, it is getting ridiculous. At most name the state they want to play in then the club chases the best result for the club but even that has it's issues as the clubs in that state (outside Victoria) may have no need for that particular kind of player. Something needs to change though players two years into the system can not be telling the club that gave them a shot and a wage who their only going to play for as it leaves the club with very little leverage to get the best deal for the time and effort and cost they've put into a player.
The AFL by their inaction over the last few years has let the problem fester and now these players basically fresh into the system think they have the all the rights and the power to do as they please, the tail is wagging the dog.
100% agree time for the AFL to show some gonads and address the issue.  The simple solution is that players are drafted with the 2 year contract as is now with a further 2 year option to be exercised at the Clubs discretion. Solves a myriad of problems and gives the players some security as well. Wonder what the reaction would be to some of the Melbourne clubs if a player after 2 years nominated he wants to come to Brisbane or Sydney after they had invested 2 years in the player.

powersuperkents

Quote from: Ringo on October 18, 2015, 02:37:03 PM
Quote from: Grazz on October 18, 2015, 02:00:29 PM
In trade winds today;

100% agree time for the AFL to show some gonads and address the issue.  The simple solution is that players are drafted with the 2 year contract as is now with a further 2 year option to be exercised at the Clubs discretion. Solves a myriad of problems and gives the players some security as well. Wonder what the reaction would be to some of the Melbourne clubs if a player after 2 years nominated he wants to come to Brisbane or Sydney after they had invested 2 years in the player.
It's ridiculous, free agents earn the right to choose a preferred destination after 8-years of service. Aish has given two shower years (despite the opportunities provided by the Lions) and yet he feels entitled to select a club at the expense of the Lions (Nth are willing to give more)

Grazz

To true what gives a player 2 years into an AFL career the right to say to his club no you can't have the best deal possible for yourselves because "I want to go to Collingwood so you'll have to take whatever the Pie's are willing to give for me" thats just absolute rubbish that is. Clubs are investing 100's of thousands of dollars into these blokes, educating them in football putting them in for surgery with the best surgeons and medical attention if needed, flying mum and dad to games. Paying them more than they've ever seen in their lives yet they are able to throw all that back in the clubs face with a I don't care attitude I want to go here and thats the end of it so get it done. It really can't continue like this.

Nige

Bell, Jansen and Walker received this morning, not a bad effort.

Ringo

Think Lions have done well with all three - Future Round 3 pick is a virtual packet of chips for Walker and Jansen.