Main Menu

Brisbane Discussion

Started by nrich102, April 05, 2013, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

GL Rich was heavily tagged by Armfield and it shows as they only had 16 possessions between them. Again proving Dan's lack of coping with tight tag.

Andrews will be a beast when he is fully developed.  Bear in mind he does not turn 19 till December.

I also think "Squizzy" had his best game for the year as well.  he seemed to be across the HB a lot as well and using his speed to move forward.

As you say only change may be Harwood for Golby - Harwood now has had 2 solid hit outs in reserves so should be right for recall.

Berger also showed what can be done with playing him at FF by bringing ball to ground on a few occossions and for once the mossie squad was there.

We still need to work on our centre clearance work from hit outs.  martin quite often won the HO but Carlton brought the way.  At one stage centre clearances favoured Carlton 9-0.

elephants

Lads just on Zorko, was obviously heavily tagged but only 11 touches is a pretty revolting effort. Reckon this tight attention on Zorko could continue?

GoLions

Quote from: elephants on May 11, 2015, 12:43:32 PM
Lads just on Zorko, was obviously heavily tagged but only 11 touches is a pretty revolting effort. Reckon this tight attention on Zorko could continue?
Not every team tags 3+ guys every week :P
I'd have him 3rd in line for the tag though until Hanley comes back

Quote from: Ringo on May 11, 2015, 12:39:27 PM
GL Rich was heavily tagged by Armfield and it shows as they only had 16 possessions between them. Again proving Dan's lack of coping with tight tag.
Yeah I know he was tagged, just didn't seem right though. As I said, could've been his ankle.

elephants

Quote from: GoLions on May 11, 2015, 01:11:03 PM
Quote from: elephants on May 11, 2015, 12:43:32 PM
Not every team tags 3+ guys every week :P
I'd have him 3rd in line for the tag though until Hanley comes back

Haha fair call, Mick is clueless. Tagging three or four oppo players won't win you shower Mick

Ringo

As we know Ele Curnow is the Blues No 1 tagger and was a surprise he went to Zorko rather than Beams.  Zorko needs to work through the tags and try and take tagger out as well. As you say 11 possies whilst giving your opponent 23 not good.

Agree with GL though Zorko may be the third tag till Hanley returns. maybe Rocky will get it as he returns to form.

GL do not think it was solely due to his ankle as he had only 2 possessions in first quarter which was my concern.  Tackle pressure was good though.

elephants

Anyone have stats for Harwood's two games in the NEAFL?

GoLions

Quote from: elephants on May 11, 2015, 04:38:42 PM
Had a bye this weekend, but here are his stats in the two games he played

Obviously wasn't as good in his first game back, but was one of our best last week

strikes91

Rich was bad yesterday, Lazy bad. Squibbed about 4 contests as well.

Ringo

Quote from: GoLions on May 11, 2015, 05:21:21 PM
Quote from: elephants on May 11, 2015, 04:38:42 PM
Had a bye this weekend, but here are his stats in the two games he played

Obviously wasn't as good in his first game back, but was one of our best last week
Harwood only played just over 2 qtrs in first game as well so those stats should be disregarded.  Was to get some game time into legs initially.

here is Shane Woewodins comments on Harwood on his 2nd match

Ryan Harwood    "Harzy’s second game back, he played more game time and was really good in the contest. Didn’t get beaten in his one on ones, certainly tried to overlap and give us a bit of run off half back, just needs to keep doing the simple things well."

elephants

Nice! After I posted that I went hunting and saw he was named in the best two weeks ago. Good signs indeed. Cheers for that GL and 11 possies in just over a half isn't terrible in your return game, thanks Ringo.

Ringo

This also not helping our season Injury list

Cian Hanley (Knee) - Season
Jonathan Freeman (Ankle) - TBC
Pearce Hanley (Hip) - 3-4 weeks
Trent West (Knee) - Test
Jackson Paine (Ankle) - Indefinite
Archie Smith (Knee) - Test
Michael Close (Knee) - Season
Dan Merrett (Hamstring) - 2-3 weeks
Jaden McGrath (Foot) - 8-10 weeks
Sam Mayes (Foot) - 2-3 weeks
Matt Maguire (Concussion) - Test
Brent Staker (Hamstring) - 2-3 weeks
Darcy Gardiner (Ankle) - TBC
Allen Christensen (Wrist) - TBC

Johno freeman may be season ending as well so we have Close, Freeman and Paine all gone for the season and these were touted as coming through to replace Brown. McStay making his presence there now though.

roo boys!

Has Merrett suffered a setback with that hammy, gone from 1-2 weeks out to 2-3 hasn't he?

Ringo

Only info on Merrett I have been given is injury taking longer to respond to treatment than expected. he has been out 5 weeks already.

roo boys!

Yeah that's what I thought, initially it seemed all the word was he was only a week or two away but I see that figure's now been pushed out again.

I guess they are pretty big hamstrings!

Ringo

Observations from Port Game.

What a difference a win makes or was it the introduction of "Brion" as entrance tunnel. The team seemed to be switched on from the start.  The first quarter there was a lot of skill errors from both sides but there was a bit of drizzle throughout the first quarter which probably contributed.

Was great to see that our attacking style finally geling with the team and paying off.

Our tackling was the best I have seen for a while making them stick on most occasions. Still the odd drop off but a vast improvement on previous weeks.  Our second quarter where we kicked 5.2 to 1.6 gave us the momentum to go on with it. May have been different if Port had kicked straight but who knows.

Why Port elected to tag Rocky with Cornes and allow both Rich and Dayne Beams to go free is beyond me.

From Brisbanes perspective:

Paporone is really growing as a defender and looks to have found his position.  Took quite a few intercept marks.
Aish probably had his best game of the year playing of the half back line and may make it difficult for Claye Beams to return.  Maybe Golby may make way though.
Dayne Beams continues to settle in and was undoubtedly our best player.
Mitch Robinson (and I was one querying why we picked him up when we did) continues to provide muscle at the contests.
Daniel Rich played his best game of the year maybe due to the fact he was not tagged.
Harris Andrews continue to improve with every game and will be a beast when he fills out.  Hard to believe he is still only 18.
Rocky continues to build and is still a little below his best.
Mosquito squad came into their own yesterday with "squizzy" Taylor all over the field moping up and using his peed.  Josh Green also used his speed to advantage to boot one of his three goals. Zorko and Christensen were a little quieter but still played their part.
Cutler had the difficult job on Gray and was well beaten resulting in his subbing.

Umpiring was atrocious  but it went both ways so no complaints. Quite a few holding the ball and in the back were let go or missed. The big one though and it went both ways was calling deliberate out of bounds when ball was kicked some 40 - 50 metres to open space downfield and eventually cross the line.

Can not see too many changes for next weeks game Aish as i said did enough to retain his place, Claye Beams may come in for Golby and if Sauce is fit he would come in for Clarke/Gardiner.