Main Menu

Brisbane Discussion

Started by nrich102, April 05, 2013, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrich102

My uncle has taken a step into footy journalism,

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/the-lions-and-the-case-for-a-priority-pick/

Quite an interesting read, arguing why the Lions should get a priority pick. What do other Brisbane supporters think of this? I like the idea.

Ringo

Not really a fan of priority picks as there is still the possibility of them going home.

I really would like to see this idea introduced but do not see it getrting passed.

If after 2 years a drafted player wanting out of a club - The club receiving must give up its corresponding draft pick to that of the draft pick used.
eg Port, Carlton and Saint Kilda would have to have give their first round draft picks to secure these players.  Highly unlikely they would have done that and we would still have these players.
Similarly West Coast and Collingwood would have had to give their second round picks for Karnezis and Yeo.

It is far too easy imo for players to use the go home factor after being developed for far less then what we can obtain.

Mailman the 2nd

If they weren't going to give Melbourne a Priority pick in 2013 they certainly won't give it to Brisbane now.

I mean with a stack of injuries, you've still beaten St.Kilda and Carlton and sent Essendon to the edge with 2 very winnable games of football to come.

You can't really argue that players leaving for less than they're worth is why you should get a priority pick. As Ringo said that indicates a problem with the system the AFL uses instead

elephants

Quote from: Ringo on June 04, 2014, 09:13:16 AM
Not really a fan of priority picks as there is still the possibility of them going home.

I really would like to see this idea introduced but do not see it getrting passed.

If after 2 years a drafted player wanting out of a club - The club receiving must give up its corresponding draft pick to that of the draft pick used.
eg Port, Carlton and Saint Kilda would have to have give their first round draft picks to secure these players.  Highly unlikely they would have done that and we would still have these players.
Similarly West Coast and Collingwood would have had to give their second round picks for Karnezis and Yeo.

It is far too easy imo for players to use the go home factor after being developed for far less then what we can obtain.

From memory Yeo was pick 30 and we have ya pick 27 ;)

CrowsFan

Quote from: elephants on June 04, 2014, 11:23:39 PM
Quote from: Ringo on June 04, 2014, 09:13:16 AM

From memory Yeo was pick 30 and we have ya pick 27 ;)
Also Polec was at the club for 3 years, so would escape your rule too ;)

Ringo

Thanks guys for comments and yes there are a few possible variations but thinking out loud as a possible resolution as I am dead against priority picks.

Maybe some contract renewal periods could be factored in,  This just goes to say how difficult this resolution is going to be.

kilbluff1985

O'Brien should get a full game?

nrich102

Yeah, probably. I think Bewick will be sub.

Ringo

Bewick would be my favourite for the sub this week as well.  martin has only 2 games back in the NEAFL and  with going up against Minson he may be subbed out with Rog rucking for rest of game.  If this is the case Bewick is the logical sub.

strikes91

Even Taylor is a possibility

Ringo

Would depend on structure required as one is the replacement for Paine and Bewick at 11cm taller than Taylor he may get the job with Taylor sub.

BB67th

Wow. Great win tonight, we showed a lot of guts and we're really hard in at the football. That second quarter was by far the best we have played all year!

I'll post a few thoughts on the game tomorrow.

strikes91

Bewick and Martin were fantastic

Ringo

Sorry Rohan for even suggesting you should have been sub brought your a game tonight and well done.

Stefan you matched big Will all night and won some contested ball - Keep it going because you have Mumford and Sandi in the next 2 weeks.

Would be great if we could play 4 quarters like our second quarter.  Was great to watch.

Game was a great open game but both teams lacked composure in the inside the forward 50 and need to be improved if we are to match top teams.  The tackling by both sides was fierce as evidenced by the tackle count of 167 for the match.

Need to keep this intensity up next Saturday Night against the improving GWS - A win against GWS can not be taken for granted in their present form.

ossie85

The Saints will ve going for the Lions for sure