Main Menu

Brisbane Discussion

Started by nrich102, April 05, 2013, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Quote from: TeeJay on November 27, 2013, 05:00:10 PM
Quote from: Noz on November 22, 2013, 01:23:02 PM
Lions were deffinetly one of the big winners of this years draft

Brisbane is slowly building one of the best young midfield crop throughout the entire AFL

Jack Redden
Tom Rockliff
Daniel Rich
Andrew Raines
Brent Moloney
Sam Mayes
James Aish
Lewis Taylor

Then to have guys like Dayne Zorko, Pearce Hanley and Clay Beams all looking for more midfield time its looking like a very strong lineup.

That's a bit of a premature call when 2 of those guys haven't played a game yet, 1 has only played 18 games and one is at the end of his career.
Just highlighting the depth we have in the midfield Teejay as well but you must admit it is very strong looking when you now add O'Brien and Robertson to the mix as well.

Mailman the 2nd

I think there was never any doubt that the Lions had a strong young midfield before and after the draft.

The main issue is when the players do hit their prime, are they going to be able to compete as a genuine contender vs Gold Coast and GWS?

I'm not sure, but there are a couple of other younger teams also coming through like Collingwood, Sydney and Western Bulldogs that might make it harder down the road

Speculation of course :)

Ringo

Now that drafts are completed I think we are one of the winners of the draft along with St Kilda.

Probably one of the biggest turnover of players that I have seen in recent years.

Out:
Todd Banfield - To Richmond
Callum Bartlett (del)
Simon Black (ret)
Aaron Cornelius (del)
Sam Docherty  - Carlton
Patrick Karnezis Collingwood
Billy Longer  St Kilda
Niall McKeever (del)
Richard Newell (del)
Jesse O'Brien (del)
Jared Polec - Port Adelaide
Stephen Wrigley (del)
Elliot Yeo  West Coast

Ins:
We traded reasonably well for the go home lads and secured 6 picks in the first 2 rounds of the National Draft and these were well used.
Trent West - Geelong Handy addition and will play with Leppas 2 ruck policy
Jackson Paine - Collingwood Tall forward who will add to our forward depth
James Aish - Midfielder reday to play and a Steal at Pick 7
Darcy Gardiner - Tall defender and will boost defensive stocks
Daniel McStay - Rebounding defender and handy replacement for Docherty
Lewis Taylor - A Small crumbing forward who was surprisingly available at pick 28
Tom Cutler - Versatile player who can play across half back, wing and can go through mid field
Nick Roberton - Another versatile player with a big body who will add to midfield depth
Johnno Freeman - Academy Player who will be developed as a forward
Justin Clarke elevated from Rookie list - showed what he could do last year when called up and deserves promotion and will be a regular in defence
Rookies
Isaac Conway - Thought he would have been picked up late in National Draft but pleased to Rookie list him. Was Captain of the Qld Under 18 side so has leadership qualities as well. Strong Bodied midfielder who has been in the Academy for the last 12 months
Zac O'Brien - Strong Bodied Inside Midfielder
Archie Smith - Project Player as a Ruckman following conversion from basketball 12 months ago. Made the Qld Under 18 team after a few games of AFL.

Overall we have added depth and covered departing players. With both the coaching and off field dramas now settled the future looks bright for the club and while we amy not make the 8 this year (a probability though) 2015 will start to see us really rise.

Nige

Lewis Taylor is more of midfielder than a small forward.

Justin Bieber

Ringo

Think he played for Aspley Hornets or some other mediocre team!!!

And in case you have forgotten here is some highlights from the under 18 championships featuring Conway.

http://www.lions.com.au/video/2013-11-28/isaac-conway-highlights

may have to take him with my rookie pick  ;D ;D

Justin Bieber

It's Issac Conway. That's why I said it lol. Even in your link it says Issac :P

Bill Manspeaker

what's an Isaac Conway? ooh around about 83kg

Ringo

Quote from: whatlez on November 28, 2013, 12:13:38 PM
It's Issac Conway. That's why I said it lol. Even in your link it says Issac :P
Sorry Lez did not pick up on that. My bad

elephants

Quote from: NigeyS on November 28, 2013, 10:18:52 AM

From what I can see he can play both roles pretty admirably. Thing is, at 173cm, unless he has amazing skills/pace he will unlikely ever be able to play as an out and out midfielder. He's just too small. A small forward that can rotate through the midfield is a pretty fair adjudication imo.

Nige

Quote from: elephants on November 29, 2013, 09:50:29 PM
Quote from: NigeyS on November 28, 2013, 10:18:52 AM

From what I can see he can play both roles pretty admirably. Thing is, at 173cm, unless he has amazing skills/pace he will unlikely ever be able to play as an out and out midfielder. He's just too small. A small forward that can rotate through the midfield is a pretty fair adjudication imo.
Wouldn't complain if he became a small forward for my BXVs team.  ;D

nrich102

Bump!

What order will the rookies be upgraded? I would think: Michael, Conway, Smith, with Bourke, Hayes and O'Brien after that, or will O'Brien be upgraded earlier as he's an older recruit?

Ringo

Will depend on injuries as to order,

O'Brien and Conway are both inside mid fielders. O'Brien is a hard nut at the ball and a mature aged player with clean hands  whereas Izzy Conway is a very strong below the knees and has leadership qualities but needs a bit more body development. So if a mid was required think O'Brien would get the nod before Izzy.

Hayes and Bourke are both strong marking forwards - So if forward was required would be a toss of the coin between the two. Little between them so either would warrant selection.

Michael and Smith are both ruckman. The added dimension to Michael is that he can play as a tall defender. In training drills this year he has been used as a defender rather than in ruck so should injury occur to a defender or ruck Michael would get the nod.

Archie Smith has only played a handful of games so this will be another development year for him and can not see him getting promoted this year. 

Football Factory

Hey Ringo, what you think about McGuane getting games for Brissy next year, i hear he will play centre half forward ?

Ringo

Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on January 06, 2014, 12:41:45 PM
Hey Ringo, what you think about McGuane getting games for Brissy next year, i hear he will play centre half forward ?
McGuanne, Paine and Lisle imo will be vying for the centre half forward position at Brisbane this year. It has been intimated Brownie will be playing closer to goal this year so opening up the CHF. Will definitely depend on pre season performance as to who gets the initial shot at it.  All 3 are training with the forward group.  Was the first time I have seen McGuane and he looks a little awkward to me with his body shape (really skinny legs) that seems to effect him from time to time.