Main Menu

Brisbane Discussion

Started by nrich102, April 05, 2013, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Been out all day and my thoughts on the trade.

Pies may be right with Karny becoming an elite player - Hinting at his development issues do not agree as I believe Karnezis asked to be traded home at the end of the season and in one of Voss's decision I agreed with played him in reserves there after.  Why continue to develop a player who is not going to be there next year. Mayes probably slotted into this role and I agree.

Paine for Karnezis is reasonable.

We got really flowered in the Longer Trade but this is better than nothing as St Kilda could have picked him up for nothing.

Mailman the 2nd

Its a shame because the recruiting managers did a pretty good job.

The Lions football club got shafted by its board members

Nige

It's gonna be interesting to see what the Lions do with these 6 picks in the first two rounds on the back of all of this...

specky92

Nige

Quote from: specky92 on October 25, 2013, 06:53:23 PM
6 midfielders #yolo  ::)
I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that very few of the this year's draft pool are from QLD.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: NigeyS on October 25, 2013, 06:55:02 PM
Quote from: specky92 on October 25, 2013, 06:53:23 PM
6 midfielders #yolo  ::)
I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that very few of the this year's draft pool are from QLD.

Think that not being from Qld won't be a huge issue in the future, I feel as if Longer, polec etc. got disillusioned with the fiasco that happened off field

Ringo

Brisbane will probably also pick up McGuane as a delisted free agent as well. 

Think we need to target forwards and defenders in the draft as these are our weak area given the ages of defenders and forwards.  Mid field has good depth with only Moloney and Raines over 25. There are a couple of midfielders coming through as well.

enzedder

Quote from: Ringo on October 25, 2013, 06:38:42 PM

Pies may be right with Karny becoming an elite player - Hinting at his development issues do not agree as I believe Karnezis asked to be traded home at the end of the season and in one of Voss's decision I agreed with played him in reserves there after.  Why continue to develop a player who is not going to be there next year. Mayes probably slotted into this role and I agree.

We got really flowered in the Longer Trade but this is better than nothing as St Kilda could have picked him up for nothing.
Different sorts of players I know Ringo but how would you rank those you lost...I'd be interested to hear.
From an outsider's perspective I would've thought Docherty would be the biggest loss. Also on that pick 33 for him... compared to 25 and 41 for Longer I was of the opinion Saints gave significantly more...agree that you were screwed over...hopefully all your picks flourish and stay.

BB67th

What do you think of us getting Trent West Ringo? Likely to get game time?

Ringo

Quote from: enzedder on October 25, 2013, 07:42:36 PM
Quote from: Ringo on October 25, 2013, 06:38:42 PM

Different sorts of players I know Ringo but how would you rank those you lost...I'd be interested to hear.
From an outsider's perspective I would've thought Docherty would be the biggest loss. Also on that pick 33 for him... compared to 25 and 41 for Longer I was of the opinion Saints gave significantly more...agree that you were screwed over...hopefully all your picks flourish and stay.
Personally I Think and this may surprise is Karnezis is probably the biggest loss imo.  Was starting to show plenty and then announced he wanted to go home and was left in Reserves.
Docherty and Yeo were on a par imo both fighting for that last position - Docherty foot skills are lacking a little which at times allowed Yeo to push in front.
Longer in only his 1st year of Senior Football so little hard to gauge although taken at 7 in National draft this really is a concern

West is a reasonable pick up considering the loss of Longer - Just wondering where Stefan Martin fits now as I see West a better player. West is also a year younger than Martin.  Hope that Leppa plays West in Ruck with Berger as a forward and both interchanging throughout the game.

Mailman the 2nd

In the end, Brisbane still have Rich, Rockcliff, Hanley, Moloney and Zorko as several immediate impact players.

Think that 2013 might mean a delay for them in terms of getting from to top 10 ---> top 8 ---> top 6 but I can see a strong side still.

Master Q

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 25, 2013, 08:43:01 PM
In the end, Brisbane still have Rich, Rockcliff, Hanley, Moloney and Zorko as several immediate impact players.

Think that 2013 might mean a delay for them in terms of getting from to top 10 ---> top 8 ---> top 6 but I can see a strong side still.

Ringo

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 25, 2013, 08:43:01 PM

Agree mailman that our short term prospects are good but with 5 players leaving development will be set back as we will have to start afresh with new players based on our draft picks.  So we may peak next year 2014 and then slip for 2 years before rising again.  Hope not but looking at realities.

This is what I consider our best 22 atm after trade period.

B Patfull Merrett Clarke
HB Golby Maguire Adcock
C Hanley Rockliff Rich
HF Green Mayes Zorko
FF Lisle Brown Staker
F Berger Reddan Moloney

Bench West Beams Harwood Raines

Players considered unlucky would be Lester, Bewick, McGuanne, Paine with Close. Paporone and Wearden possibly putting pressure on,.

Mailman the 2nd

That best 22 is in no way shameful the main issue I can see is the FF line, with Brown i'm assuming will retire next year. Trent West vs Billy Longer is a short-term upgrade IMO (obviously long term loss).

Very strong midfield and decent backline

Ringo

That is why I specified short term MM and my concern that these 5 leaving will put us behind in development,  That is why I put out best 22 now. Brown, Patfull Merrett, Maguire and McGrath are all 29 plus so would anticipate retirements.