Main Menu

Brisbane Discussion

Started by nrich102, April 05, 2013, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

the thing with the adelaide clubs is that they're getting kids coming back as well- taking out players like bock/ davis who left for ridiculous amounts of money, they're losing about as much as they're gaining- for instance kids like hombsch and polec.

compared to brisbane for instance, who this year lost 3 first round draft picks (longer (8), docherty(12), polec (5)) from the last 3 years. That's flowered.

Mailman the 2nd

Players are wanting to go to Port and Adelaide all the time, whereas Brisbane doesnt get any real interest

Toga

Quote from: Ringo on October 24, 2013, 09:26:18 PM
Thanks Toga and as i posted last year a lot of these kids that are drafted are only 18 and come from places where AFL is breathed everyday to Qld and NSW where we have to fight for AFL NEWS.  Even the Brisbane Lions Board Room resolution today was only on the 6th back page of the Courier mail to show what we are up against bet it was not that far back in Melbourne even though it is a Qld club.
Without this daily AFL saturation it is hard for these youngsters to adjust especially when not getting Senior games. It makes it more difficult when the club is in a bit of turmoil as well.

Yeah absolutely fair enough Ringo (and others), I completely understand that AFL takes a back seat in your state (I liken it to coverage of the Tiges here in SA :P), and I think that it wouldn't be a stupid idea to grant your mob concessions as it may help retain some of the guys you would otherwise lose as money certainly is a factor.

I agree Adelaide being an AFL state does not need/deserve concessions I was just merely stating something I've heard regularly down here that the Adelaide clubs need something to help retain players (i.e. more money). It seems Port doesn't really suffer from this problem (at present, at least), with guys like Monfries, Polec and co. returning, however the Crows have been losing more players than they have been getting from ex-South Australians returning home so I would not be surprised to hear them crying out for some extra salary cap space.

As I say I absolutely agree that Brisbane of all clubs at the moment are probably in most need of extra $$/ other concessions!

Ziplock

Quote from: Toga on October 25, 2013, 02:27:06 AM
Quote from: Ringo on October 24, 2013, 09:26:18 PM
Thanks Toga and as i posted last year a lot of these kids that are drafted are only 18 and come from places where AFL is breathed everyday to Qld and NSW where we have to fight for AFL NEWS.  Even the Brisbane Lions Board Room resolution today was only on the 6th back page of the Courier mail to show what we are up against bet it was not that far back in Melbourne even though it is a Qld club.
Without this daily AFL saturation it is hard for these youngsters to adjust especially when not getting Senior games. It makes it more difficult when the club is in a bit of turmoil as well.

Yeah absolutely fair enough Ringo (and others), I completely understand that AFL takes a back seat in your state (I liken it to coverage of the Tiges here in SA :P), and I think that it wouldn't be a stupid idea to grant your mob concessions as it may help retain some of the guys you would otherwise lose as money certainly is a factor.

I agree Adelaide being an AFL state does not need/deserve concessions I was just merely stating something I've heard regularly down here that the Adelaide clubs need something to help retain players (i.e. more money). It seems Port doesn't really suffer from this problem (at present, at least), with guys like Monfries, Polec and co. returning, however the Crows have been losing more players than they have been getting from ex-South Australians returning home so I would not be surprised to hear them crying out for some extra salary cap space.

As I say I absolutely agree that Brisbane of all clubs at the moment are probably in most need of extra $$/ other concessions!

sounds like a cultural issue with adelaide then, rather than the actual geographic region.

Toga

Zip - my thoughts exactly! 8)

Ricochet

Karnezis and Paine deal done. Straight swap

Ricochet

And another

Trade Radio ‏@traderadio 51s
BREAKING: Billy Longer and pick 48 to @stkildafc for pick 25 and 41.

Ricochet

Geelong Cats ‏@GeelongCats 48s
TRADE: The Cats have traded premiership ruckman Trent West to the @BrisbaneLions for pick 41.

SydneyRox

Those picks have just been flying round today!!

Nice pickup for the Lions

Nige

Jon Ralph ‏@RalphyHeraldSun 44s

Pies think Karnezis can be elite. Which is hype. But basically confirms Pies think the Lions development was rubbish. Big issue for Leppa

Capper

6 picks in the first 2 rounds

7, 22, 25, 28, 33, 34.

Nails

Quote from: tabs on October 25, 2013, 02:54:21 PM
6 picks in the first 2 rounds

7, 22, 25, 28, 33, 34.

Looks good

In 2 years time we can trade those players and get picks
18, 35, 38, 41, 46 and 47.

strikes91

Looked at the grades for trading. Wasn't surprised that we pumped out a f

BB67th

It was definitely a horror trade period for us, but we have what we have now and it is time to move forward.

Interesting that we got West, does Leppa plan to play him the ruck and Berger up forward maybe? Maybe Longer would have had more opportunities if he stayed but had already decided to go home.

Paine will probably just be another failed tall forward, but one of them has to be decent at some stage right?

Not happy with the picks, but will just have to hope that we draft well enough to make up for it I suppose.

Master Q

Quote from: strikes91 on October 25, 2013, 03:53:59 PM
Looked at the grades for trading. Wasn't surprised that we pumped out a f
Link?