Is Hardwick really the coach who will lead Richmond to a premiership?

Started by TheAnt, May 26, 2013, 10:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronKirk

Richmond are not that far off.

North were a top 4 side last year and have been in really good form in recent weeks before today.

They kept a lot of your starts quiet.

The only thing I see Richmond lacking is another quality outside mid with decent legspeed that can hit a target.

Do Richmond have a crack at Harley Bennell?

powersuperkents

Nige

powersuperkents

Personally, I think it would be poor judgement to blame Dimma who has done so much for the club. On the day, North were just the better team - they have a dominant record over the Tiges and, honestly, the were unlucky to be playing the Roos over the Crows or the Bulldogs.

Obviously, more work has to be done to improve the mental game of the players, their contested footy, and the ability of their carrier to break tags (Houli did well, Ellis & Cotchin were overrun - Edward has no excuse, was easily the worst player out their for the Tiges). Besides that there was nothing wrong.

Being an impartial spectator, I have to say all 8 teams did their job this week. As Port aren't in the finals, I don't really care about the outcome, I just want to be entertained and all 8 teams did a spectacular job of doing that this year - not like last year with the one-sided Hawks v Cats & Swans v Dockers match ups and the elimination final between the Tiges & the Power that I enjoyed for all the wrong reason. The Tiges should be proud they had an intense contest, because I can assure you only their supporters will be disappointed after the game they put on show for everyone. These were some of the most even match-ups in a while and it says a lot when the Hawks had the biggest losing margin of all the match-ups (by quite a bit I might add). Richmond are a young team and don't need the success this year as much as the Roos do, in the end the Roos want it more and they were willing play to the better standard (the Tiges counter-attacked too much for finals football imo and that's what really put them behind in the 2nd half).

Two incredible elimination finals though, in terms of entertainment value, they beat the 2013 matchups by quite a bit. Sad to see the Bulldogs go, they were incredible (esp. Stringer & Dahlhaus, if they won it would have been quite the story of redemption for Minson as well)

Grazz

Unlucky in the sense thats what North wanted and got after last weeks result or another kind of unlucky mate.

Holz

Quote from: Grazz on September 14, 2015, 03:08:10 AM
Unlucky in the sense thats what North wanted and got after last weeks result or another kind of unlucky mate.

agree here.

I think Richmond would have taken out Dogs and Adelaide, probably even had the game to take out the Hawks. Just a bad matchup for them. If they had of lost last week i think they would have made the prelim. 

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: AaronKirk on September 13, 2015, 08:39:42 PM
The only thing I see Richmond lacking is another quality outside mid with decent legspeed that can hit a target.

Listening to Triple M yesterday? Pretty sure Schwass said that exact same thing :P

Nige

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on September 14, 2015, 11:06:34 AM

Listening to Triple M yesterday? Pretty sure Schwass said that exact same thing :P
Not wrong though. It's why a Treloar or Bennell type would be perfect.

powersuperkents

Quote from: Nige on September 14, 2015, 11:11:40 AM

I agree. Yarran or Bennell would not be poor recruitments. The latter is incredibly composed and reliable.

As good as Shane Edwards is, they might as well not play him in the finals... He is not a big game player, no matter how much supporters want him to be, he'll never deliver (or may once he has support).

2013 EF - 11 possessions
2014 EF - 11 possessions
2015 EF - 8 possessions

He's certainly one of the club's problems when it comes to finals football and I don't know whether it's nerves or an inability to have an impact when it matters but those numbers are shocking from a player like Edwards.

Bennell & Yarran should be the club's primary targets (Bennell would really be the best recruit they could land)

nas

With recruiting either would be good, You have the perfect guy (IMO) choco to help keep them in line & on track.

This being Bennell or Yarran

G Healy comments re Bennell

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/harley-bennell-mark-williams-would-be-a-match-made-in-heaven-at-richmond-says-gerard-healy/story-fnahrqwo-1227531464871

powersuperkents

Quote from: nas on September 14, 2015, 11:51:48 AM
With recruiting either would be good, You have the perfect guy (IMO) choco to help keep them in line & on track
But an average of 10 possessions per final? In September, they should change his first name from 'Shane' to 'Spud'.

If there was ever a scapegoat, it should be Shane over Hardwick. 10ppg is not good enough from a high impact POD (he's one of their best over the home and away season)

I bet you the Tigers won't get a finals win until Shane, or his potential teammates (i.e. outside mid recruits), deliver

elephants

9 possies from Cotch was pretty poor. Wonder if anything more will come of this back injury he missed with a couple of weeks ago

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: elephants on September 14, 2015, 02:00:54 PM
9 possies from Cotch was pretty poor. Wonder if anything more will come of this back injury he missed with a couple of weeks ago

Cant use that as an excuse. He just doesn't know how to handle the tag. 3 kicks in a final from your captain is just horrible.

Nige

Quote from: powersuperkents on September 14, 2015, 11:38:45 AM
Quote from: Nige on September 14, 2015, 11:11:40 AM

I agree. Yarran or Bennell would not be poor recruitments. The latter is incredibly composed and reliable.

As good as Shane Edwards is, they might as well not play him in the finals... He is not a big game player, no matter how much supporters want him to be, he'll never deliver (or may once he has support).

2013 EF - 11 possessions
2014 EF - 11 possessions
2015 EF - 8 possessions

He's certainly one of the club's problems when it comes to finals football and I don't know whether it's nerves or an inability to have an impact when it matters but those numbers are shocking from a player like Edwards.

Bennell & Yarran should be the club's primary targets (Bennell would really be the best recruit they could land)
Let's not pick out scapegoats.

Shedda's had a really good past two seasons and is part of the reason we got that streak of wins last year and won some pivotal games this year. He's been hampered by several injuries this year and it's hard to get consistency when you're in and out of the side through injury.

A number of boys played terribly yesterday, don't just pin it on Edwards.

elephants