2016 Watchlist

Started by Mat0369, December 28, 2015, 03:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

There is always a couple teams that get mass injuries or end up sucking worse then what we think so they blood a bunch of kids. GC and GWS should have established themselves as finals sides last year but got a run of injuries which saw guys like Miller and Saad play all year and establish themselves in the 22.

No sub can be good and bad, it means no green for the rookies that do get games but it also means they might be rotated more often for management. But right now teams like Carlton and Essendon are going to have cheaper options that should get games and establish themselves in the side.

Mat0369

So I have been playing with my lineup a bit to try and get Fyfe in. I think having Fyfe, Pendles, Gaz and Rocky in the midfield looks infinitely better but it is a matter of who do I upgrade and how. This was my placeholder team before and after the changes.

I had a bit of extra cash so I put it into Hartung as a place holder, he was alright the other night but butchered the pill so I will probably stay away from him. Grimley was one I had been playing around with but I hadn't brought him in yet. Kerridge/Simpkin are my M8/F6. I figure they are interchangeable with the DPP and keep the link alive. I turned Aish into EMac for the time being. Depending on how many rookies get named in defense I might consider either sticking with the 2 mid price options or turning one into a rookie and another into a premo option.

So to get Fyfe in I figured I either have to go with one less forward or upgrade Parker. I am pretty sure Parker is going to have a decent year and bounce back so in terms of price I'm better off going with one less forward.

I found I had three premium forwards on the same bye (Barlow, Gunston and Robbo). Considering I am picking all as keepers it might be a good idea to drop one. It came down to Robbo vs Gunston and I think Robbo has a higher ceiling even though I would like to keep both so for the sake of this exercise I'll drop Gunston. Now I need to free that cash back up from the Hartung pick so I dropped him down to a rookie which I was going to do anyway. So obviously my rookies are interchangeable in both teams but I'm thinking maybe I am going way too top heavy in the midfield.

Ringo

Depending on your views and gut feel Matt - I would also from team 2 be tempted to drop Crouch to a rookie and Lids to Dusty.  (Think Lids is too expensive for the risky hammies).  And hopefully you should have enough to turn a forward rook to Gunston.

Mat0369

Even if I go Crouch to a rookie and Lids to Martin it leaves me with 413k which is about 100 short of Gunston.

I'm a big fan of Crouch so if he is fit I see him as a good stepping stone. Lids is also under priced based on his performance last year considering he got vested in round 1. I don't think I am paying top dollar for him where as I am for Martin. Even with the achilles, if he plays one NAB game and gets through fine I have to start him.

Ringo

Fair enough Matt go with gut. as you know just suggestions for you to look at and accept or reject based on gut.

Mat0369

I was thinking about the Crouch move so thanks for the suggestion, however when I checked the numbers turning someone into him it had to be Wells and that was with the Lids>Martin move and I would probably have to dump Currie as well to turn Simpkin into him.

Another thing I tried earlier was to get Simmo/Docherty into the backline. To do that I had to go Currie>Grimley or Lids>Martin, Petracca>Marcon, move Petracca into the forward line and then turn one of EMac into Tippa and Harwood into Simmo.

Mat0369

I haven't really got a chance to update this. A couple of the guys I listed have looked good so far and there are a couple others I am adding to the list. Mullett is one on there that really impressed today. The only downside is he isn't locked into the 22 so next week is a big one. The couple of guys that I want to keep an eye on are

Mummy - Injured but was sitting as my ruck 2

Griffen - more for draft team purposes but he looked reallllllyyyy good out there.

Cannon - At 300k and the ability to go 80+ he is tempting as well.

Mat0369

So my team currently looks like this

Bartel, Smith, Harwood, Mullett, Brown, Hartley, K. Collins, Ruggles

Fyfe, Gaz, Pendles, Rockliff, Parker, Libba, Crouch, Mills, Menadue, Gresham, Marcon

Goldy, Mummy, Currie

Lids, Barlow, Robbo, Wells, Kennedy, Kerridge, Kommer Grimley

I have about 30k in the bank. Basically I can turn Lids into Martin if it looks like I need cash when teams are named, I can also downgrade/upgrade Mullett if he looks to be on the outer.

My Chumps

Mat's watchlist always worth a read!

Don't know if Mullet's done enough to earn a spot come round 1. Not too many other options down there at the moment though. Also Personally felling Aish over Harwood at this stage.

And I am steering so far clear of Crouch, but understand that you're sticking with him.

I'm going with a pretty similar setup at the moment with a few differences outside of the top 4 mids and Bartel/Smith.

GoLions

Quote from: My Chumps on March 11, 2016, 11:20:25 AM
Don't know if Mullet's done enough to earn a spot come round 1. Not too many other options down there at the moment though. Also Personally felling Aish over Harwood at this stage.
I don't even know if Aish would be best 22 for the Pies though, he wasn't in our best 22 so I don't see him just walking straight into the Pies squad. Couple of my cousins support the Pies as well and all agree he has to earn that spot first.

Mat0369

Mat's watchlist always worth a read!

And I am steering so far clear of Crouch, but understand that you're sticking with him.

I'm going with a pretty similar setup at the moment with a few differences outside of the top 4 mids and Bartel/Smith.

I'm keeping a couple guys under wraps until after the draft on Sunday but I'll post about them Monday night maybe.

The third NAB game is going to be huge for Mullett, if he can have a similar outing to his last he will be pushing into the best 22. He has struggled with injury the last couple of years and the only other downside I see is he seemed to be playing the Higgins role, Higgins might miss the next NAB but is expected to be ready for round 1 which could see Mullett out.

I was on Aish early but the more I look at it I still think he has a ceiling of 70, if that's the case I would rather Emac. I think Harwood has the higher ceiling and seems to have staked a claim at HB. If I was looking in the 300k bracket I would look at Cannon, Walker and Seed. I'm also considering Weitering at D4

I know a lot are going off Crouch but I think the fact he hasn't played could benefit his owners. First up, it's a bit of out of sight out of mind. He will play SANFL so he still gets a hit out and we can monitor if he is fit. Scoring isn't an issue and he could be a similar player to what Leuenberger was in 2013. I started with Berger that year, he was priced mid 300's but a lot of people went off due to him missing the NAB and R1. I had Cox in the forward line so I used the DPP to cover the loss round 1 and then he came in and averaged quite well. If Crouch doesn't start round 1 I probably won't be going down the same path, but I think it's worth the risk if he is named. It's going to be harder to bring him in if he kills it then to trade him out if he gets injured.

Quote from: GoLions on March 11, 2016, 01:11:34 PM
I don't even know if Aish would be best 22 for the Pies though, he wasn't in our best 22 so I don't see him just walking straight into the Pies squad. Couple of my cousins support the Pies as well and all agree he has to earn that spot first.

I think he is best 22, I just don't think he wins enough contested pill to push past a 70 average.

My Chumps

Don't know if Mullet's done enough to earn a spot come round 1. Not too many other options down there at the moment though. Also Personally feeling Aish over Harwood at this stage.
Can't say I've got inside knowledge or anything, but I see it as a pretty similar situation to Polec when he went from not playing for Brissie to Ports best 21 the next season. Brisbane would've known that both blokes are almost certainly leaving and just didn't give them consistent/any games. Otherwise it's pretty hard to see why one of the leagues best rising stars who played 21 games in his first season proceeded to play 11 the next year.

Super talented kid, only has to average 80 for it to be worth it, something he nearly did in his first year. Bucks loves him so should get a start Round 1 and then just has to play good football from there. Pretty easy start to the year too as Collingwood always seem to get.

Ringo

Quote from: My Chumps on March 12, 2016, 02:49:11 PM
Don't know if Mullet's done enough to earn a spot come round 1. Not too many other options down there at the moment though. Also Personally feeling Aish over Harwood at this stage.
Can't say I've got inside knowledge or anything, but I see it as a pretty similar situation to Polec when he went from not playing for Brissie to Ports best 21 the next season. Brisbane would've known that both blokes are almost certainly leaving and just didn't give them consistent/any games. Otherwise it's pretty hard to see why one of the leagues best rising stars who played 21 games in his first season proceeded to play 11 the next year.

Super talented kid, only has to average 80 for it to be worth it, something he nearly did in his first year. Bucks loves him so should get a start Round 1 and then just has to play good football from there. Pretty easy start to the year too as Collingwood always seem to get.
is it an indication that he is not in the best 22 given it has taken till 3rd quarter to get him onto the field in this NAB game.

sammy123

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 10, 2016, 07:25:55 PM
So my team currently looks like this

Bartel, Smith, Harwood, Mullett, Brown, Hartley, K. Collins, Ruggles

Fyfe, Gaz, Pendles, Rockliff, Parker, Libba, Crouch, Mills, Menadue, Gresham, Marcon

Goldy, Mummy, Currie

Lids, Barlow, Robbo, Wells, Kennedy, Kerridge, Kommer Grimley

I have about 30k in the bank. Basically I can turn Lids into Martin if it looks like I need cash when teams are named, I can also downgrade/upgrade Mullett if he looks to be on the outer.

solid team.

Hope that backline works out for you.

mids are very strong

rucks solid choices. fwds good too. not sold on robbo and not sure if lids will play 22

Nige

Love your work Mat, always fantastic insight.

Team looks really good, I'd drop Mullett personally, I don't really rate him and reckon there are better options available to you.

I'd also go Lids > Dusty, saves the cash and they'll have a similar output.

Quote from: sammy123 on March 12, 2016, 05:43:48 PM
not sure if lids will play 22
Have you seen how Richmond plays without Brett Deledio? The only reason he won't play every game is if he's suspended or injured. He'll be fine otherwise. That said, fantasy wise, I'd still pick Dusty, but I love Lids too.  :P