NBA Season 2016/17

Started by Jay, October 03, 2016, 10:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Think it's about time we got a thread started with less than a month to go before the season opener!

What a season last year's was, here's a recap to get you excited. We saw the Bulls' "unbreakable" record of 72-10 broken by the Warriors. The Spurs also had a historic regular season, boasting one of the best defenses we have ever seen. However this wasn't enough to overcome the unbelievable duo in Oklahoma City. That duo took a 3-1 lead over the Warriors, however weren't able to close it out largely thanks to an incredible Klay Thompson performance in game 6. Who could forget the regular season game in Oklahoma City that those two teams played too! I certainly was looking forward to seeing an amazing rivalry between those teams for years to come... Then came the finals, with the title favourite Golden State Warriors taking a 3-1 lead with two games left on their home floor. Season over, right? Wrong. In game 4, Draymond Green just couldn't help himself and was finally given the suspension that so many thought he deserved in the Oklahoma City series. This gave Cleveland some hope, with LeBron and Kyrie both dropping 41 in game 5 and sending the season back to Cleveland. In game 6 LeBron again dropped 41, taking the series to a game 7 in Golden State. It was there that Draymond Green redeemed himself with one of the best finals performances ever, 32 points @ 73%, 15 rebounds, 9 assists (no one remembers this performance!). However this was not enough, from the Kyrie Three, to The Block it was the Cavs' night and LeBron got to deliver a championship to Cleveland.

And then the off-season... DWAYNE WADE PLAYS FOR THE BULLS WHAT THE F! So yeah, Dwayne Wade plays for the Bulls.. I don't get it either. But that was somewhat overshadowed by the Warriors getting Kevin Durant. Ugh. As I've said, I have no problems with Durant choosing the Warriors, who wouldn't have, but from a basketball fan perspective it really does disrupt the competitive balance of the league. I just can't see anyone beating them, but we shall see.

We also saw the retirements of 3 greats, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan. Duncan there's no words to describe, I have him as a top 5 player ever. Kobe obviously amazing and I still can't get over his final game, but anyone who has him over Duncan needs to stop talking basketball, I personally only have him ever so slightly above KG. All are modern day greats.

How about this season though! Golden State are obviously the favourites, but there are still some very good teams, Clippers, Spurs and Cleveland to name a few. Who do you think will be the biggest threat? The east is looking interesting this year, but will anyone be able to challenge Cleveland? Boston won 48 games and have replaced Sullinger with Al Horford, will they be a threat or perhaps just a very good regular season team? There's set to be some big movers out West too, will the young cores of Utah and Minnesota live up to the hype? The Knicks and Pacers were both busy in the off-season but will these short-term fixes be worthwhile? Russel Westbrook is set to go nuts, but will it be enough to keep OKC in the playoffs? Can disappointing teams of last season who boast superstars, think Kings, Houston, Wizards and Pelicans bounce back?

Anything in particular you're looking forward to? How are you feeling about your team? Season predictions? Discuss it all here!

Jay

Predictions

NBA Finals: Golden State 4-1 over Cleveland
Western Finals: Golden State 4-1 over Clippers
Eastern Finals: Cleveland 4-2 over Boston

MVP: Kevin Durant
DPOY: Draymond Green
ROY: Joel Embiid
COY: President Brad Stevens

My 8 Best Bets: *odds taken from Sportsbet* *no particular order*
8. Detroit Pistons to win Central Division @ $26
7. Portland to not make the playoffs @ $2.90
6. Charlotte Hornets to make the playoffs @ $1.74
5. Grizzlies over 44.5 wins @ $1.87
4. Houston Rockets to make the playoffs @ $1.77
3. Westbrook to lead the league in scoring @ $3.20
2. Milwaukee under 37.5 wins @ $1.77
1. Utah Jazz to win Northwest Division @ $3

Biggest increase in wins from last season: Minnesota Timberwolves
Biggest increase in losses from last season: Miami Heat

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: Jay on October 03, 2016, 11:40:56 PM
Predictions

MVP: PG13
DPOY: Kawhi
ROY: Brandon Ingram
COY: Pop

Biggest increase in wins from last season: NYK
Biggest increase in losses from last season: OKC

Reasonably certain your Boston angst is showing thru with the Heat to lose that many, we're gonna be young and exciting this year

Holz

Predictions

NBA Finals: Spurs 4 -2 over Cleveland
Western Finals: Spurs 4-3 over Warrirors
Eastern Finals: Cleveland 4-2 over Boston

MVP: Russel Westbrook
DPOY: Kawhii Leoanard
ROY: Joel Embiid
COY: Tom Thibodeau
MIP: Jabari Parker

Biggest increase in wins from last season: Minnesota Timberwolves
Biggest increase in losses from last season: Miami Heat - they lost Wade and Bosh I dont care how young and exciting there guys are

Bonus Tip: Milwukee Bucks will make the top 4 in the East.

Jay

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on October 05, 2016, 02:46:58 AM
Predictions

Reasonably certain your Boston angst is showing thru with the Heat to lose that many, we're gonna be young and exciting this year
If they had Bosh I'd agree with you, also think the Richardson injury hurts them plenty.

jvalles69

Just to get you warmed up.  There seems to be a new dunk sherrif in town, check out DJ Stephens at #1 and #2.  Also, Oldaipo got some hops!

http://dunkademics.com/2016/10/dj-stephens-soars-in-the-nbas-top-10-plays-from-monday-night/

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: Jay on October 05, 2016, 10:29:25 AM
Predictions

If they had Bosh I'd agree with you, also think the Richardson injury hurts them plenty.
be around 40 wins, we have depth at 2 and he will be ready for the start of the season, no surgery ;)
Dragic will average 18/6, Winslow will play PF and average 15/6, Whiteside average 18/12/3
Consistency of the rest of the roster will be the issue...

Holz

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on October 05, 2016, 12:11:31 PM
Quote from: Jay on October 05, 2016, 10:29:25 AM
Predictions

be around 40 wins, we have depth at 2 and he will be ready for the start of the season, no surgery ;)
Dragic will average 18/6, Winslow will play PF and average 15/6, Whiteside average 18/12/3
Consistency of the rest of the roster will be the issue...

should drop more then OKC will, the only reason they wont is if its a weak east.

you lose bosh who played 53/88 games putting up 19 points 7 rebounds
you lose wade who played 74/88 games putting up 19 points 4 rebounds 5 assists
you lose deng who played 74/88 games putting up 12 points 6 rebounds

Putting up 48 wins was a big effrot, so quite abit of room to fall.

The Thunder put up 55 so yeah there is a bigger room to fall.

yes they lost Durrant

72 games 28 points 8 ebounds 5 assists that huge

yes they lost Ibaka but he was having not the best year and I dont think that Adams and Ilyasova is too big a downgrade, especially with Kanter and the newly found Sabonis.

then to replace durrant they got Oladipo who with Westbrook is probably the most athletic 1-2 punch in the NBA. They should put up some crazy defense when they both switch on.

I like the thunder alot even without durrant.

RiOtChEsS

Those holes leave opportunities for others, production will come from elsewhere, its how consistent we can be determining our record

RiOtChEsS

when the final leg of your 9/1 multi is up 15 at the half and pull all their starters and lose by 20...

jvalles69

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on October 05, 2016, 03:54:02 PM
Those holes leave opportunities for others, production will come from elsewhere, its how consistent we can be determining our record

James Ennis would've filled that hole nicely.  :'( :'(

jvalles69

Placed my first bet, James Harden for MVP @ $16.

Can't find ROY markets, Buddy Hield would be my smoky bet.

Jay

Quote from: jvalles69 on October 05, 2016, 05:06:30 PM

I quite like this. MVP is a tough one this year with two of the top 5 players on the one team, and LeBron to presumably care even less about the regular season than ever before. Harden is going to have the ball in his hands a lot, and in the D'Antoni system that offense is set to be elite. Could also see Houston winning enough games to push up into say the #4 seed.

My roughy is that this will finally be the year for CP3.

jvalles69

Quote from: Jay on October 05, 2016, 05:11:01 PM

I quite like this. MVP is a tough one this year with two of the top 5 players on the one team, and LeBron to presumably care even less about the regular season than ever before. Harden is going to have the ball in his hands a lot, and in the D'Antoni system that offense is set to be elite. Could also see Houston winning enough games to push up into say the #4 seed.

Harden also will be playing more PG this year, already averaging double figures in assists through pre season.

Holz

Quote from: Jay on October 05, 2016, 05:11:01 PM

to be fair there has always been two of the top 5 players in one team.

Im taking Curry and Durrant out of the equation as first up I cant see them giving Curry 3 straight MVPs, especially considering they will probably regress from the 73 win season and now they can say he has Durrant on the squad.

Same reason for Durrant.

I think the Spurs will be very very good and the best player on that team is easily leonard. The question for him is despite being a superstar he doesnt really act like one so he has to get noticed. He wont talk trash or go out and drop 50 to show you he is the best.

Lebron doesnt care about the MVP and I think Irving will be the argubaly the best Cav in the home and awa as lebron drops his minutes. Plus this isnt the best player or award or lebron would have 10 straight.

Harden meh, dont rate the rockets and people all question his defense.

Westbrook has something to prove, explodes statisitcally, talks trash can drop 50 and he just lost durrant. If OKC can put up a decent number of wins and finish top 4 in the west then he kind of has to win it.

So in summary Leonard v Westbrook for me with their main competition Anthony Davis and Paul Georgre.