2012 Dreamteam First Year Player Of The Year

Started by EZA100, September 04, 2012, 08:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Is The 2012 Dreamteam First Year Player Of The Year?

Dayne Zorko
33 (47.8%)
Toby Greene
24 (34.8%)
Sam Gibson
3 (4.3%)
Adam Treloar
1 (1.4%)
Jonathan Giles
8 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

MLS

Tough call, but I am going to go Gibson for these reasons.

1) He was bargain price at $85k
2) He came along when we were all screaming out for a down-grade option around the byes.
3) He played every game from when he was selected, meaning that he was dependable. Those who started him when Swan was out would have been rapt.
4) 5 scores over 110, including a DT finals average of 105

They all had a great years, and no doubt most will be on the DT radar in the coming seasons

Kellogscrunchynut

Overall Zorko, but Gibsons cover when Swan and others were out was outstanding and would be my second choice ahead of Toby Greene.

CFC 1979

Sirbuzzkillington

Zombie2.5

It's very close, and people will look at it different ways. But clearly the top 4 are Greene, Giles, Zorko & Gibson.

Greene has the highest average, and racks it up, but not many kept him after he reached $350k and got suspended.

Giles has been a great second ruck all year for most and would be the biggest bargain of all, because he played most games, and compared to other rucks, a massive bargain.

Zorko & Gibson were the other big scorers, but they started mid-season for downgrading, and almost everyone had them. Zorko seemed more valuable as F7, whereas Gibson was only bench cover at best(even though his scores were premium-worthy).

So it depends on how you look at it, to determine who wins. Best bargain? Most points? Most games/points/average? Usefulness to your team? Position(DPP? cheap ruck?) and also comparing others in position.
I'd say Zorko for his dpp, and gun scores for a forward. Gibson could've also won it ahead of him, but most people had 6 gun mids anyways, so he might've not been too much use(except for use as cover). As zippy said, Giles was incomparable to other rucks, as he was cheap as chips for around 70+ most weeks, with a ceiling of 110-120 even. Although the others scored more, you could say Giles was the best bargain. Sure Greene was great, but you could still get premo's who averaged more, whereas with Giles, a premo would score similar(or get injured :P)

strikes91

Was a good year for the young players, zorko was so good to watch, entertainer and toby greenes disposal tally was unreal. im giving them a tie with Giles in third

Justin Bieber

Has to be Toby.

No one is suggesting Toby because no one had him. But he is better than Zorko.

Joshwah

Toby was awesome, as was Zorko, but Gibson delivered like a premium when I had blown all my trades and gave me a point of difference against a lot of teams in my league. His 130 in the GF was very handy

Grazz

1) Greene -  Averaged 28 possies for the year, in the top 10 for possesions for 2012 i think. Would of won the Rising Star easily.

2) Giles    -  Had a pretty solid year with a few hiccups along the way but the amount of people that were able to run with him all
                  year proved his value to DT'ers.

3) Zorko   -  With his dpp status  and ability to score and score well makes him number 3 for me unlucky not to be 2nd.

4) Gibson -  Pretty unlucky to be 4th but its an impresive group, Great cover just when it was required.

DT Gun

Quote from: Ziplock on September 04, 2012, 05:54:47 PM
it has to be green, as stated above, or giles.
Giles- 8th overall points for rucks, 7th highest average for rucks that played over 20 games
Greene- just inside top 50 overall points mids, 34th highest midfield average (19 games played)
Zorko- 36th for overall points forwards, 9th highest forward average.

Green averaged about 15 points more than the second highest rookie competitor gibson (yes, I'm just estimating)
Zorko averaged about 12 higher than second highest forward competitor Treloar

Giles- average 82, 20 games
rookie rucks this year (from memory)-
Campbell- 46, 7
Jenkins- 61, 11
Redden- 59, 9
Stephensen- 52, 8
Longer- 57, 5

I think that's about it?
so giles played 9 more games than his nearest positional rookie competitor, and averaged over 20 points more.

clear winner.

if you dispute this, you're wrong.

imagine having to go into this season with 2 pricey rucks- mcevoy, mumford, leuen, sandiland, mcintosh, Ryder, all went down with LTIS, while players like goldstein just sucked. Unless you went like cox/ maric, you would have been forking out like 300k+ extra cash by not starting giles.

Giles was handy but all your telling us is that the only good ruck rookie was giles..
I do agree he had a good year but..

Zorko and Greene were about par and i would probably give it to greene just for the fact he is a lot younger

But zorkos dpp opened so many windows for people in terms of bench cover and let you put your cloke/zaharakis/goodes on the pine which in my opinion is more valuable than a straight mid

Also a premium forward averages 90 where as a premium mid averages 100+ so on that i'd give it to zorko

henry

Even though I didn't have him  :-[ I would still have to go Greene simply because of the amount of matches he played and how he finished off the season. On a personal level I loved Gibson and even had him on the field in 2 finals.

Quote from: Zombie2.5 on September 05, 2012, 01:09:33 AM
Quote from: Sirbuzzkillington on September 04, 2012, 07:10:26 PM
where is Folau?

at GWS ::)
For how much longer I wonder... :P

Adamant

KoopKicka

Gibbo, purely becuase he saved me from more headaches :P

Fireballz

Quote from: whatlez on September 04, 2012, 07:44:28 PM
Has to be Toby.

No one is suggesting Toby because no one had him. But he is better than Zorko.
This. It hurts because I never even looked at Greene, but he was a better scorer and played throughout the season.