Started by Barra13, January 08, 2015, 06:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on January 14, 2015, 10:52:28 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on January 14, 2015, 10:50:47 PM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on January 14, 2015, 10:40:39 PM
really a great read wish there was this much info on every clubs sessions

is Vandeberg training yet?

He is training, just not with the main group - Was doing intervals today apparently

oh ok that's good signs he should be playing round 1 even if for the reserves i hope he is a good downgrade target at some stage

IMO he is neck and neck with Harmes to be elevated from the rookie list

Barra13

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on January 14, 2015, 10:40:39 PM
really a great read wish there was this much info on every clubs sessions

Yeah Melbourne are pretty good with this. They basically have a full time reporter, I haven't been putting the videos in as they are easily accessible but I will start to now.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2015-01-12/camp-update-day-1-goodwin

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2015-01-13/camp-update-day-2-nathan-jones

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2015-01-14/camp-update-day-3-david-misson

Barra13

From a bystander at yesterdays training session;

QuoteA few notes from today's training:

* Training was pretty light so not a whole lot to report.

* Overcast humid conditions again.

* New guys on the deck.

* Trenners doing seated boxing ripping into it as best he can with a moon boot on.

* Looked like Vince, Harmes, Riley doing boxing separate from the main group.

* A lot of standing around talking tactics today with the occasional breaking into a ¾ pace drill.

* Focused on strategy for exiting the back half and kick ins today.

* You hardly notice Roosy. Hes just like one of the boys and doesnt put himself above everyone really impressive and the thing that stands out to me the most. If only all bosses were like that.

* Petraccas got a real presence about him and stands out without even kicking a ball - Got a confidence about him.

* Frost's movement and all round game impresses me. Hes stood out a lot over the last two sessions in my eyes. Kicks it well for a big bloke.

* Vandenberg doing intervals separate from the group. I think he's keen to make a go of it. I'm keen to see how he goes over the next few days

* Early finish, perhaps doing something off site?

* A few crappy photos maybe later tonight.

* Probably a bigger session tomorrow I'd say so hopefully a bit more to report then.

Barra13

From Burgo's Diary;

QuoteDay 3: Wednesday, January 14

7am

Breakfast is organised by each of the 18 apartments â€" as are the rest of the meals for the day.

Head of development Brett ‘Fruity’ Allison talks up his barbeque-cooked breakfast â€" and it did sound good. But he was spewing that the side of avocado was accidentally left out (which I can totally understand, I mean who doesn’t love a good avo?).

I’m on Fruity’s mini bus again as he takes a group of players out to the Maroochydore Multi Sports Complex for ‘craft’.

Fruity is the perfect type of coach/mentor to have in a footy club. He’s got a friendly, happy-go-lucky demeanour, but he’s also a determined and straight as an arrow fella. He’s excellent with the young players in development.

Some of the young lads on the bus include Oscar McDonald, Alex Neal-Bullen and Billy Stretch. They’re getting set for their first full day, after arriving late the previous day, having attended the AFLPA induction camp.

MORE: Camp already gaining results: Misson | Day 2: Dees complete big training session

8:15am

In the Maroochy Roos’ rooms, property steward Anthony Brown has the tunes pumping as the players prepare for craft. And they’re not bad either!

They’re certainly more my vintage â€" 1980s/90s â€" but there are also some tunes from the 2000s/10s. Christian Petracca is happy with the “older” tunes though and gives the thumbs up to what’s playing.

At one stage, there appears to be an Australian flavour going through the speakers. Icehouse’s Electric Blue and AC/DC’s Thunderstuck are given a run. And I’m pleasantly surprised that Moving Pictures’ What about me still evokes some passion among the crew. Strength and conditioning manager Rob Jackson and training services coordinator Peter W Roberts are both complimentary of the tune. But it’s still an Australian classic, even though it’s been flogged. Isn’t it?

9:15am

Craft is underway. Not the macramé, cross-stitch or woodwork variety.

This is all about the game plan. And it’s serious stuff.

Craft involves going through the structured component of the game plan â€" areas like zones, kick-ins and stoppages.

The coaches aren’t worried about the players’ running in these drills. It’s very much a session about explaining the game plan and in some cases walking them through it.

It’s an important period for the coaches to work closely with the players out on the track.

10:30am

The players are split into two groups.

One group stays at the ground and the other heads to the Suncoast Fitness Centre for a 45-minute upper body work out. The group at the ground has physio and a mobility/flexibility session. They then swap over after completing them.

Today is considered an off legs day for the players, as they’ll be getting ready for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, which will be harder days.

There are some serious weights being pushed by the boys.

Heritier Lumumba is looking is great nick. Daniel Cross is unsurprisingly still looking as fit as a fiddle. The young guys are in there, including rookie Aaron Vandenberg who tells me he is progressing strongly, after having a shoulder injury when drafted last November.

The big men are looking â€" well, big! But the likes of Mark Jamar, Chris Dawes and Cam Pedersen are also looking leaner, despite not dropping too much size.

12:30pm

With the morning’s training completed, the players have some time to grab their own lunch. Some head into neighbouring town Mooloolaba or stay back at the apartments to prepare their meal.

2.30pm

Back at Twin Waters, the players undertake a trademark session, which focuses on team expectations and what’s expected of each other.

The discussion also centres on finding out more about each other.

Players break into groups as part of the session. 

4.30pm

At the end of the trademark session, the boys gather at the beach area of the Twin Waters resort. There, Paul Roos informs his troops that they will be undertaking a paddle boarding/kayaking challenge.

The players are already in six groups, and on the back of Tuesday’s goalkicking relay challenge, Roos has his charges set for a ‘paddle off’.

Soon the cheering, egging on and general razzing of teammates begin.

Angus Brayshaw is early to impress on the paddle board, with another youngster Jayden Hunt also showing some talent. Jack Viney paddles like a man possessed. Think his style of football on water.

Development coach Brad Miller, who still looks fit enough to play, is another to show strong form on the paddle board.

It’s good fun to watch. Naturally, there are a few wags trying to knock each other off the paddle board. But unfortunately, Christian Salem doesn’t need any help.

The youngster falls in the water early on, but he gets back up on his feet and makes it out towards a jetty. Yet this is where he comes unstuck again.

A slight breeze and the flow of the water doesn’t help Salem and he falls off â€" narrowly missing the jetty â€" and drawing plenty of encouragement … err laughs from his mates. But to his credit, Salem gets back up on the board and makes it back to shore no worries. It’s all part of the character building!

Big man Max King also has a crack, but he too has the odd spill! He too, gets back on the board … and away he goes.   

Overall, it’s good fun and not surprisingly, super competitive.

The group that wins â€" after they paddle to the other side of the beach and back â€" consists of Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson, Cross, Viney, Viv Michie, Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw and James Harmes.

And it’s fair to say they’re pretty happy!

6pm

With the players having bought their food from Coles the previous day, there’s no shortage of Peter Russell-Clarke or Gabriel Gaté-like chefs ready to cook up a storm in the kitchen.

(Note: if you think I’m showing my age about the above-mentioned chefs, then I was going to suggest that the players might emulate Philip Paxton of ‘The Magic Wok’ fame â€" a show on Channel 10 in the early 1980s. Does anyone remember that on Saturday mornings? Maybe, just insert the trendiest chef of the moment from one of the umpteen cooking shows on television, as the type of chef the players were trying to follow.)

In the end, barbeques, always a favourite, were the flavour of the night.

Barra13

Training report from bystander at yesterdays session;

Quote* A bit sunnier today, but still a bit of humidity in the air so conditions would have to be testing for the crew.

* The main oval was still shifting under foot a bit this morning so a lot of the drills were taking place on the smaller oval which is drier & in better nick. The swapping between ovals must be so they can make use of the full size main oval to simulate game play better, and when they don't need it they are playing it safe with preventing injuries.

* Neal-Bullen, Stretch, Harms, & Vandenberg running separate from the group. Terlich & Kent join them soon after.

* ANB's moving freely and running well, so no issues with the knee. Apparently no ligament damage and no history of that injury so he's come out of that allright. Just unlucky.

* In earlier drills, looks like the 1-5 year old guys training separately. Good chance to see them in action.

* Like the look of Whitey. He tackles well and has a point to prove I reckon. Beautiful kick. Runs a little funny but so what. Seems to have become popular amongst the guys too. Always praising him.

* Overall young guys training with good energy and spirit - good sign.

* Hoges practising short range one grab reflex marking with Millsy rocketing them at him. Didn't see him drop one and all one grab. Millsy seems to be working a lot with him one on one.

* Brayshaw composed, good decision maker. Looks like he thinks through the pressure situations well, or perhaps he doesn't think and it's all instinctive.

* Hunt has got to work on his handballing. Lacking a bit of confidence I'd say.

* Slightly concerned about Petracca's endurance for second the way he lopes around and then all of sudden he proves me wrong and takes off at speed. Definately a burst player...BBall influence. Really good footy skills though.

* Newton working hard.

* Stretch runs through the middle and snags a sausage just like his old man.

* Sensing major competition for midfield spots. You can feel it out there. Casey's midfield should go allright this year.

* After 2 hours training they break into full ground match simulations

* Salem looking good. Good speed followed by a bullet pass. Class. Ready to blossom i'd say having had a full preseason.

* Get the feeling Garlett does his best work in games.

* Hogan playing the forward and out jostles Dawesy - impressive. They swap around and Dawes gets one back on him.

* Lamumba breaks away with speed out of a pack - He's still got it.

* Bit of driving tackle work by the big blokes is interesting to watch. Mids doing the same in background. Seeing who can hold there ground. Jamar makes them all look silly for a bit. Hogan looks a little tentative against the ruckmen. And then all of a sudden to my suprise big Maxy fires up a bit and rattles a few rib cages.

* Relay team event to finish off. Approx 400m. Frost is so quick he should be going to the Olympics. Made them look silly.

Dunny tries to psych out Petracca. Petracca not fazed and has a unique turn of speed that's hard to describe. He's got a down force/ g force/ after burners thing going on. Low to the ground like Ablett.

* Quieter day tomorrow I'd say, not sure if it's worth going down. Wait and see how I feel tomorrow. Will definitely be checking out Saturday's session.

Barra13

Taken from Burgo's diary;

QuoteDay 1: Thursday, January 15

6am

Another big session looms, so the boys don’t have to prepare their own meals today. It means the breakfast buffet is back on this morning.

But the word on the street is that Jack Viney cooked a cracking steak the previous night â€" not on the barbeque, but in the frying pan.

In fact, Dom Tyson confirms that later in the day! And he’s quite complimentary of Viney’s effort. But I’m not sure how much Tyson got to eat. You can just imagine young J.Viney cooking up a steak can’t you?   

MORE: Camp pushing boundaries: Tyson | vandenBerg making most of opportunity

8:15am

Training is again held at the Maroochydore Multi Sports Complex. And already it’s a hot one upon arrival. It ends up being a sizzler. Oh, which reminds me, I saw a television commercial for Sizzler last night â€" I didn’t realise they’re still around! Upon searching on Google, I discover there are 26 restaurants in Australia â€" including a whopping 18 in Queensland. New South Wales and Western Australia make up the rest. So there you go …

As the players prepare for their session, the sunscreen pumps get a work out. And some of the boys lather up in a big way, which doesn’t go unnoticed by Paul Roos.

“Marcel Marceau,” quips the coach, after noticing several players with faces covered almost entirely in white sunscreen.

It’s a great call from the coach, although I was thinking the Joker (minus the red -lippy) or Marlon Brando from the much-loved 1996 remake of The Island of Dr Moreau on some of the players.

Either way, I’m pretty sure that was Angus Brayshaw underneath an almost entirely painted white face. He’s certainly adhered to the Slip! Slop! Slap! mantra. No wonder he’s rated so highly. He does the little things right. Well done son!

Preparation for training is interesting to watch. 

Some are fairly laid back. Some sit with an intense look on their face. Others can’t sit still and wander around. Some are doing some exercises, before they start on the ground.

Christian Salem is stretching his legs in the corner; Jack Grimes prepares with a roller behind his head, as he flexes pre-training.   

8:30am

The ante is upped with training after a ‘lighter’ session the previous day.

Elite performance manager Dave Misson and his team, including Rob Jackson, Alex Sakadjian and James McGeoch, intend to ‘hit’ the players hard with their training program for the day. And they do.

In fact, later on, the squad’s GPS results indicate that.

The players undertake a ‘parlous relay’, which is somewhat like a baton relay.

The boys are put into teams of six. Each team runs six laps. But it’s up to each group to determine how far a particular team member can run. For example, one player can run a lap and a half â€" and that’s it.

In the end, most team members run anywhere from 60 to 80 metres each, as they’re scattered around the oval.

Naturally, it is a fairly hot, contested event â€" without taking the weather conditions into consideration. 

In the meantime, back inside the air conditioned rooms, the work is cut out for the backroom staff.

The likes of property steward Anthony Brown, training services coordinator Peter W Roberts and head trainer John Stanaway are all hard at it. They are right on their game in keeping drinks supplied and water bottles filled for the players on such a trying day. Roberts, plus head physiotherapist Sam Pietsch, and his team Joel Ames and Jake Treacy also treat the squad pre, during and post training.

(Note: for the record there are two Pete Roberts’ in the football department. Pete Roberts is the football technology manager. He is right on the pulse with all things footy ‘tech’. And Peter W Roberts or Peter W/Pete Dub is a wizard with his iron-like fingers at destroying knots and kinks for players post training and matches).

The operation that goes into the players being out on the track is really impressive. The amount of equipment and organisation that comes with the job is quite significant.

Brown is busily ripping bags of ice apart. Remarkably, there are 50 bags of ice used today, which equals 250kg.

These are all the little things that the average supporter wouldn’t realise goes into the operation â€" and that’s fair enough, as they’re not expected to know. But the backroom support staff that goes into any footy club, from country footy to the big time, is imperative. And in the AFL it’s taken to another level.

The football component of the session is another opportunity for the players to work on the game plan.

Players practice their skills under pressure and in stifling heat, it’s not easy.

After three and a half hours, the skills and running session is over. It’s been another draining session.

A handful of players in rehab have also endured a tough session, including new rookie Aaron vandenBerg (note the spelling â€" he spells his surname with a lower case ‘v’ and a capital ‘B’ â€" all one word).

It’s intriguing to think that not quite two months ago he was living his life in the nation’s capital as an apprentice with the Royal Australian Mint.

He’s still got his challenges, including overcoming a shoulder injury and he needs to be promoted from the rookie list, but the almost 23-year-old is a really impressive young man and I’m sure he’ll make the most of his opportunity.

The lunches arrive and the players tuck into them before the afternoon’s activities.

1pm

Another big weights session â€" on the back of Wednesday’s effort â€" is held at the Suncoast Fitness Centre again. Only this time, the focus is on legs, instead of the upper body.

Recovery sessions and treatment are also held back at the apartments.

This takes up most of the afternoon for the players, before they undertake another trademark session just before dinner.

6:30pm

Dinner is brought forward with yet another early start planned the following day.

The group heads out to the Alexandra Headland Surf Club â€" about 15 minutes from the apartments.

Steak, chicken and barramundi are on the menu, but Roos manages to persuade the chef to drop off some hot chips near the coaches and non-playing staff. And they go down nicely too!

Rusty00

Quote from: Barra13 on January 16, 2015, 10:30:06 AM
* Get the feeling Garlett does his best work in games.
Haha, nice one.

Purple 77

Cheers again for relaying all this Barra, saves me from sifting through Demonland.

Interesting read about White.

Barra13

No probs. That's the aim, to avoid sifting through the crap to find the decent stuff.

Glad I can help.  ;)

Barra13

From a bystander at the Saturday session;

Quote* Sunny day and already hot at 9am. Probably the hottest day of the camp so far.

* Putting on a bit of a show for the fans. Players very vocal from the outset.

* Petracca casually lets rip with a 75 meter torp from the boundary. Skill and power combo.

* Roosy not taking training today? Didn't see a lot of him. At a guess Goodwin was at the helm.

* A few run throughs and kick to kick for the crowd.

* Channel 7 and Win TV cameras in attendance.

* Noticeable the lift in intensity for today's training from the past few. Pumped up and game speed seems to be on the agenda.

* Full ground drill transitioning from the loose ball in the back half to kick a goal at other end.

* I noticed the players that where either on or off "AFL intensity" a lot today. Seem to be a theme for the day. Brayshaw a little off the intensity at first but nice composure and disposal. Not far off.

* Oscar Mac's disposal is where his brother's was at the same age.

* Salem picks the option well.

* Newton kicks a bullet. Hodge like.

* First thought is Stretch will need time in the AFL, then he proves me wrong with good speed. Players correcting themselves well.

* Petracca still learning the system, gets corrected.

* Goodwin good tone in his voice & calf muscles. Clear & Concise. Not "putting down" with his instructions.

* Can't wait for Stretch to put it all together, something about him excites me.

* Viney leading from the front in the 50m sprints.

* What makes Petracca more AFL ready is he looks to be adjusted to AFL intensity already.

* Terlich's ready to go, great intensity - underrated.

* Tyson has a glint of a "star in the making" about him.

* Salem up to the intensity.

* A Pelican & an Osprey fly over head, the birds thread might be making a comeback.

* ANB had a bit of Leigh Mathews about him. Surely it's not just the hairy legs.

* Conditioning of these guys is superb given the conditions. Don't know how they do it.

* Vandenberg has a nice boot on him. Threads one from the boundary 50m out like it is standard practice.

* Petracca has star presence again.

* Whitey a good leader

* Watts bounces 3 times from the middle and bags a sausage - mmmm.... paleo (not)

* Some rehab guys joining in the final match sims. Noticed Kent out there, great tackler.

* How Viney can sprint like that after 2.25 hrs in this heat is mind boggling - Mentally strong

* Terlich impresses me again. Good trainer anyway.

* How 15 players crammed into a 4 man sheltered interchange bench to get shade has me staggered. Jonesy talking about taking your time to get composed to get the kick right when your fatigued. Good spirit amongst them. Lamumba says a bit also.

* Kent doing an interview with local WIN/9 camera-women before I leave. Talks about how the heat is good for the lungs and some boys are going to Noosa over weekend and some guys catching a flick.

Great session - really impressed with the players spirit today.

Barra13

Some pics from the session;

http://imgur.com/a/H5uYb

and a few more comments;

QuoteThought I would post some comments seeing as today's training may be the only one I am ever able to attend.

Obviously I have nothing to compare to, so please take all comments in that context.

My crowd estimate was 150. Apparently I am rubbish at basic estimation as the club is reporting over 400.

Paul Roos spent almost the whole session watching from "on high" in a cherry picker.

I set myself up just in front of him - was interesting to hear him coaching players from there, and giving instructions to assistant coaches via walkie talkies.

Highlight comment was from Roos to Brayshaw: "Do we pay more for a kick or handball? They're paid the same".

Presumably a smartass way of telling him to kick the bloody thing.

As others have said it was hot and sunny. Maybe 31 degrees. They went for nearly 3 hours. Massive session.

Extremely funny seeing 40-odd grown men huddling in the tiny amounts of shade between "quarters".

Max Gawn was the most vocal player there. Always encouraging. Always talking. He would be a great guy to have around any club. Probably the one player I really want to see have a breakout year.

Sam Frost had a good session. He's very quick for his size. Showed serious closing speed on a few occasions to make spoils.

Oscar McDonald also looked good. Was getting a lot of praise from the coaching staff, saying "that's AFL standard stuff Osc, great work".

My one negative comment is on Max King - looks miles off having an AFL body. He also seems to be a "confidence guy" and from today it looked like he was really down on confidence. Dropped a few uncontested marks. Still looks 3 years off AFL standard.

Billy Stretch was another player who stood out to me. Showed some dash and got a bit of the ball in the match simulation drills. Thought he'd be a fair way off, so i was surprised and impressed.

Finally Jack Watts seems to be back in full training for those who were wondering.

Barra13

And some more, obviously a few people went down to this session;

QuoteWent down today and it was bloody hot.

Spoke with Jamar and wished him all the best for the season and commented that he looked in good nick. He said he felt great and that this has been his best pre-season and the first full one he has done in about 3 or 4 yrs. I mentioned that I hoped that the good training translates into games to which he replied that the standard of ball movement now is far better than it has been in the past seasons. He was a great fella to have a conversation with.

Spoke to Watts who is now back training with the main group. Asked him if he will be right for round 1 and he said definitely which is good considering he has been mainly in the rehab group. Also mentioned to him that I'm sick of him copping it in the media and can't wait for him to stick it up em which he agreed. Great bloke and looking forward to seeing what he can do this season.

Max Gawn what can you say. He is the class clown I think. He is hilarious and very approachable. Looked in good condition and hasn't got any shorter.

In regards to Dunny, I asked who his hair dresser was (his team mate next to him was pissing himself laughing) and he asked me if I was jealous. First it was that mow now its his hair. Hes got it short on the sides and back with longish on top in a ponytail. Very individuall!! Hes a funny fella and looks set to continue (hopefully) his good form from 2014.

At the end of training Jones and Brayshaw were having a goal kicking comp on the boundary about 35-40m out. Both missed their first then Jones nailed the second with ease. A bit of master and the apprentice. To Brayshaws credit he kept going until he got it.

Saw the all-famous Burgo and asked him if anyone had asked him for his signature which he said no with a smile and I replied you're not surprised are you. His assistant (I think) had a good laugh about it.

All in all it was a good half day the only improvement idea I would give the club is to allow the players/fans more time to sign autographs and have pics as it wasn't long enough IMO.

I am more confident with 2015 season approaching but still am calming my expectations until I see the boys play on the park.

Barra13

and more;

QuoteGreat turnout on a very hot and humid day.

Didn't take notes on paper, all from the neck top computer so if you have any specific questions I am happy to answer.

Some general observations first -

Roos may try and be behind the scenes but he definitely calls the shots and if he is not happy about anything he makes it very clear.

Morale and camaraderie are both higher than I have ever seen before, it appears all the new boys are fitting in well.

Dunn, Gawn and Watts the most vocal. Dunn more the dictator in style, Watts more the encouraging type and Gawn encouraging as well as pushing anyone seen to be dropping off.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gawn in the leadership group some time in the future.

Rawlings is well respected by the defensive group. Very straight shooter.

Players noticeably fitter and providing a lot more options upfield than in recent history. A lot more switching play as well as a more attacking style of play. More players taking the first option from what I could see too.

Player observations -

Grimes - Definitely gone to the next level. Starting 22 for sure. Has bulked up a little and a lot stronger one on one. Killed everything in the defensive drills before having his nose (accidentally) spread across the park by a Tom Mcdonald spoil. Foot skills improved. Will play on HBF with Lumumba on the other from what I could gather.

Lumumba- Very happy to have him on board. Will be the clearing defender we have needed. Very reliable and has obviously been working on his clearance kicking. No long high kicks running out of defence. Lower, accurate kicks to a player running through the centre or wings. Very happy with a swap for Clark.

Dunn - Very vocal and always picked the best option when kicking out of defence. Seems to be the defensive general.

Frost - This kid will be a monster in a few years. Very athletic for his size too. Good kick of the ball. May spend some time resting in the forward line this year.

Jetta - Very focussed and dedicated to get the best out of himself and he has. Look for him to make AA back pocket this year. Very impressive young man.

Mcdonald Bros. - Stuck together by the hip. Younger Mcdonald tracking along very well. Will be a player. Older Mcdonald has put on a bit of size and looks better in one on ones.

Newton - Was in a lot but fatigued numerous times. To his credit he always came back with 100% effort after any drop off.

JKH - Fit and strong for his age. Very team oriented and was not as flashy. I think this will come out with the adrenaline on game day though.

Garlett - Numerous vey good intercepts. Will keep the ball in our forward line on more than one occasion this year. A beautiful kick of the ball. Should kick 30-40+ this year if we can get it down there enough.

Riley - Not sure about him. 10 for effort though. Seems a bit slow reactively. But did have his ankle in an ice pack near the end of the session.

Hogan- Just reeks of natural footballer. Strong, fit and his kicks are very accurate from any range. Don't be surprised to see him roam further upfield this year.

Gawn - Was probably the biggest surprise. Looking big and strong. Kicking is also good for his size. Will be the year he makes a statement to the broader AFL community if he can stay on the park.

Jamar - Looking the fittest (and happiest) I have ever seen him. Looks like he will spend time forward to let the younger rucks develop. May have a year or two left in him yet.

Petracca - Positive kid who doesn't stop trying. Picking up the pace of the game surprisingly quickly. Isn't afraid to put his head down ala Nate Jones.

Brayshaw - Very professional. Not flashy but more the skilled trooper. The mainstay every team needs. Think Lenny Hayes.

McKenzie - Probably the biggest surprise alongside Gawn. His kicking seems to have improved and might even get the crack at a chance of playing without the dog lead. Needs to prove his worth and seems to be grabbing it with both hands. Will be interesting to watch his season unfold.

Cross - Seems to be holding up well in the heat. Biggest surprise is the improvement in his kicking. Very good role model.

Howe - Definitely stronger across the shoulders and arms. May find himself forward this year with Lumumba in and if Grimes can stay injury free.

Watts - See Howe.

Bail, M. Jones, Terlich - All have put on size and strength. Small improvements in skills will keep the pressure on the fight for a position in the 22. If I had to pick one I would say Bail was the standout of the three.

Barra13

and more;

QuoteI also attended training yesterday.  Was a fantastic day, bloody hot, but considering we didn't have a Qld game last year or this year, it was worth the red skin that I'm now plastering with aloe vera.

Thought I'd add a few of my observations.  Please keep in mind that the last time I attended a training session I was wearing the number 43 on my back because my favourite player at the time, Andrew Ford, was still running around.  Needless to say, that was at Junction Oval.

I was extremely disappointed that I didn't get a chance to meet Saty.  Thought he would've made the trip - given he wasn't lurking around the main group I'm presuming he was granted an extended Christmas break by the club.

Individual players who impressed or otherwise (apologies for the doubling up as some other posters have said similar);

Colin Garland - looks super fit.  Having a full preseason could see him return to the form we expect.  He provided good run off half back in some drills, and his disposal was pretty good.  I think he will be in for a good year.

Jack Grimes - looks a totally different player.  I'm often quite critical of Jack, but I think this year we will see him go to a different level.  Fit, competitive, stronger, looking forward to his season.

Ruck division - Jamar is still our number 1 ruck, simple as that.  Maxy is coming on, and I was really impressed with the improvement in Spencer.  But Jamar, providing he can stay fit, is our most dominant ruck option, many times he would win the tap in a contest against his opponent.

Max King - I don't hold much hope here.  I know he is a project player, but he is a long, LONG way away from making any impact.

Jack Fitzpatrick - could this be his break out year?  I think it might.  He was leading most if not all of the running drills.  Now, that's not to say he was always beating Tom Mc or Jimmy Toumpas, but whatever group he was running in, he was always pushing himself to the front.  I'd like to think he gets a handful of consecutive games where he can feel he belongs.  Other players get that luxury, so hopefully Jack can.  Perfect forward who can ruck option.

Oscar McDonald - will be a beauty.  I think he'll be better than his brother.

Ben Newton - was used as a go-to man in one drill, and I thought he looked bloody good.  Given that Watts was another "go to" man, and I couldn't recoginse the third of three, I'd be expecting Ben to be lining up in Round 1.  Think he will be a good addition to the midfield.

Matt Jones - he cops a fair bit on here, but from what I could hear from Roosy and co, Jones is doing everything they want.  He's probably our 5th/6th rated midfielder, but I can tell you one thing, it'll take some pretty strong form for someone to dislodge him.  While some won't like what I'm about to write, I think if we see Jones playing at Casey this year, we will play finals in the seniors.  I expect him to play a lot of senior footy again.

ANB - hard to make a call given I didn't see him pick up a footy.  That said, he's a beautiful mover - is really light on his feet.  Not sure why, but I think he'll be a very good player.  Am I basing this just on his running?  Not sure.  I'll just call it "the vibe".

Some other key points;

* I loved how they trained in quarters, just like a game.  They'd do drills for 20-25 minutes, then running drills for the last 5 minutes.  Often talked about as red-time drills, making sure they run the entire session out.  No doubt this is a big focus, given the amount of goals we let through in the 20-30 minute mark of each quarter in 2014, especially if the last quarter.

* In game simulation drills (ie more pressure) we still managed to make basic mistakes.  We are getting better, no doubt about it, but it is frustrating.

* Further to my previous point, I still think there is one decent list cull left.  I think 2015 will be the final year of "who's not up to it", then we will focus on finals.

* As someone mentioned, they did an extra running session after training finished, player/leadership group-driven due to a drop off in the final "quarter".  I loved how Petracca and Brayshaw were leading this (they were the old fashioned suicide sprints from point post to goal posts, etc).  Later yesterday evening, I was thinking to myself how the first year players could be leading this at the end of training.  I would've thought first year players would be busting their gut during "normal" drills.  I'm not saying they aren't/weren't, but I would imagine the coaches would know how they are tracking...

2015 will see more frustration.  I think we will starting beating sides, not just winning.  We will still lament the games that we could've won but didn't due to silly mistakes.  I think 2015 will set us up for a reasonable crack at finals in 2016.

Barra13

and more;

QuoteJust a few observations to add to the numerous reports above.

I was really impressed with the coaching staff. We're in good hands. They seem to be providing the playing group with a consistent message. All the assistants I saw in action communicated in a really effective manner. They didn't waste words, were clear but positive.

We have some leaders on our list. Jones, Dunn, Dawes, Cross, Vince, Jamar, Grimes, Garland and now Lumumba form a good solid senior group. Trengove's positive team first approach to his rehab is incredible. Our young leaders are also emerging. Watts is confident and positive. Gawn is vocal and surprisingly serious. Tyson just oozes class and is clearly admired by his team mates. Kent appears to have a solid work ethic and is developing nicely. Viney should be in the leadership group. He epitomizes everything I want this Melbourne team to be about. I don't care how old he is. I'd also like to make special mention of Neville Jetta. He is my smokey for the leadership group. He obviously feels like he belongs now. He understands our game plan and articulates it confidently. He communicates positively with his team mates but demands high standards from those around him.

In terms of leadership and communication it was an interesting session to observe. The players are obviously working hard to understand the different elements of the gameplan and I really love the way the whole group seem confident to tell each other exactly what is required if someone is unsure or straight out makes a mistake. There appears to be no ego involved. Players understand the need for concise communication and don't seem to be slighted when a coach or a team mate sets them straight. They all move on quickly. Listening to the different lines during the breaks was also interesting. The forwards really do carry themselves like rock stars. There's a real confidence amongst this group. Hogan's swagger will be infectious. I love our defensive group. They're our bar room brawlers. The communicate really well with each other. Dunn, Garland, McDonald and Grimes have now played a lot of footy will each other. Howe also confident in these situations and shows quite a lot of leadership as well.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the midfield group but just wanted to make one key point. As much as we all expect natural improvement from our young players and we're hopeful that the injection of Lumumba, Garlett and Frost and the emergence of Hogan will help us move up the ladder, most of us understand that we're not going to improve greatly until we start winning more midfield battles. Many on Demonland have suggested that little has changed in this department. Having seen Saturday's session I beg to differ. Firstly, with Newton on board and Michie and Riley more settled we have far greater depth. If one of these players becomes a serious B grade genuine midfielder then we're in good shape. Our ruck stocks are looking really really good. Jamar as has been noted, is in awesome shape and appears set for his best year since he was All Australian. I'm a big fan of Jake. If he's our third choice first ruck then I think we're travelling ok. He's now huge. Check out one of the snaps I took! I also come from the school of thought that injury is the only thing that can prevent Max Gawn from being a serious player. Hopefully he shows more signs this year, gets through injury free and may be ready for the number 1 mantle in twelve months time. I think the health of this group and the pre-season training they've already managed will be significant in our midfield improvement. But the biggest improvement will be provided by Jack Viney. Roos rarely played him in the middle last year. This year he seems set to have serious minutes in the middle and he is in incredible condition. His work in game sim was awesome. He reads it so well of the rucks and seems to have found another yard of breakaway pace. Improved fitness will also see less skill errors this year. Salem looks set to take a step but will still need time as will Toumpas. If both make it, we'll make it.

Finally, I'd like to make a point about our battlers. Battlers is probably a harsh word. I think we're very lucky to have players such as Jordie McKenzie, Ro Bail and Matt Jones. All three are great clubmen. All three are working their respective backsides off to make our best 22. All three are ripping blokes. I really hope supporters get behind these guys. I'm more than happy in the knowledge that Brayshaw, Petracca, Stretch and Neal-Bullen are exposed to the training habits and team-oriented approach of these guys. I hope each of them has the opportunity to have a real crack at senior footy in 2015 despite the emergence of so much exciting young talent.

It was awesome to see so many Dees supporters up and about. This is a well run club, with a hell of a lot of talent that is being guided in the right direction. We're going to be alright.