Main Menu

Melbourne preseason training

Started by Barra13, January 08, 2015, 06:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

Yeah, not on full training just yet, doing most of the drills. Will probably start full contact in next couple of weeks I believe.

Barra13

T Dog

Barra13

QuoteJust a few notes on the 3k time trial

We had 10 players sub 10 minutes, with Tommy Mac first and Max King last, that being said King took 25secs of his time, said he had to

Jimmy Toumpas was bitterly disappointed with his time, has had a bit of a cold and couldn't get the engine running smoothly

Salem was around the 10 05 to 10 30 mark (trying to get the correct time was a battle, (bloody Arsenal supporter) Viney took 2 secs off and got a PB

HL surprised me, he said he did ok for his first 3k, seems Collingwood only ever did 2k, he was around the Salem time

McKenzie and Cross were both sub 10, so was Bail

Jetta didn't front for training, so assume he is crook with his poor 3k

They had another good hard session when they got back to Goschs, lots of ball work, Stafford did a lot of work with the ruck brigade which was all present, so that's a bonus there, Jamar, Gawn, Spencer, Fitzpatrick, King

Hogan did the full session, has now got a mean looking haircut to go with the new beard, looks bloody fearsome

Only Terlich and Watts really in rehab, they did a bit of kicking and marking with Spencer at the beginning, Watts forgot it was wet and took a beautiful tumble trying to mark, bounced straight up so would say the groin problems are over

Purple 77

Only 25 seconds separated Tyson and Petracca... probably the stat I found most surprising.

Apparently Garlett was never the best trainer at Carlton, but hey, if he kicks 40-odd goals then we have no problem  8)

Thanks for relaying everything barra.

Barra13

Well the dees are at an 11 day camp at Maroochydore. Here is the first log;

Day 1: Monday, January 12

8am

A CRUTCHES-hopping Jack Trengove is the first person in red and blue I notice from a distance, when I arrive at Melbourne Airport with digital video producer Courtney Hart.

A fit, tanned-looking Dave Misson soon greets us

Big Mac

Quote from: Barra13 on January 13, 2015, 10:27:11 AM
Well the dees are at an 11 day camp at Maroochydore. Here is the first log;

Day 1: Monday, January 12

8am

A CRUTCHES-hopping Jack Trengove is the first person in red and blue I notice from a distance, when I arrive at Melbourne Airport with digital video producer Courtney Hart.

A fit, tanned-looking Dave Misson soon greets us

The copy and paste bug claims another victim

Barra13

Yep. I can't figure out how to get it to work without re-typing it all and well I'm just lazy haha. Here is the link though.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-01-13/day-1-melbourne-heads-north-for-camp

Big Mac

Quote from: Barra13 on January 13, 2015, 11:49:31 AM
Yep. I can't figure out how to get it to work without re-typing it all and well I'm just lazy haha. Here is the link though.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-01-13/day-1-melbourne-heads-north-for-camp

Yeh all good - Article is well written. Good to see Trenners getting involved

Barra13

From a bystander at the camp;

QuoteWent down to training at Maroochy this morning and jotted down a few observations. I'll be able to get down to all the footy sessions if anyone has something particular they want to know.
* Kent, Terlich & Spencer doing intervals separate to main group. Later Riley running laps by himself.
* Overcast & a bit wet under foot (fair bit of rain lately) but doesn't take long to dry up.
* Fair bit of match simulation focusing on forward entries from the back half. Viney & Frost getting praised for their decision making & disposal.
* Jimmy Plunkett from Leading Teams working exclusively with the Dees I think. Nice guy
* Hogan like a caged lion wanting to rip apart his prey. Got a nice confidence streak/ swagger about him.
* Toumpas getting a bit of kicking responsibility from the back half. Can't fault his kicking. I think he is becoming a Roosy favorite.
* Dunn positioning himself for more leadership responsibility this year perhaps - very vocal. Just a hunch.
* Guys looking a bit tired. Maybe the heat? I think they had been at it for an hour or two before I turned up based on the comments from Jones on website.
* Noticeable compared to previous training/ coaches that there seem to be less standouts and more of an even spread across the Board. Similar to what others have observed - Sydney-esk?
* Hate to say it but Crossy is looking a tad old. One last push?
* Didn't notice Roosy much at first compared to other coaches. Not as egotistical. That seems to rub off on the players. There not as on edge about everything. Not quite as much fig-jam going around.
* Watts is looking fit, lean and toned. Not lacking any confidence the young fella.
* Weren't getting a drill right at one stage (I think) and Roosy made the point of moving to another oval to get it right.
* Finished off with some games play. Seeing which team can kick from one end to the next finishing with a goal.
* Progressed from Torps to Torps on the non preferred to drop kicks on the non preferred and wound up with a netball ring shoot out. Lumumba and Garlett surprisingly can stroke it alright.

Barra13

From the diary;

QuoteDay 2: Tuesday, January 13

6am

It’s an early start, given a big training session is planned for the morning.

The walk from the apartments to breakfast includes a stroll over a small bridge.

But something creates a commotion in the water, catching the eye of big men Tom McDonald and Sam Frost.

Surely, it can’t be a croc in the lagoon?

Soon coach Paul Roos, Brett Allison and football technology manager Pete Roberts walk over the bridge to take a peek in the water.

In the end, the exact type of fish isn’t identified, but nevertheless, it seems to be a very big one â€" or bigger than your average goldfish at home!

MORE: Tough session: Jones | Day 2: Pre-season camp

8am

The Demons arrive at the Maroochydore Multi Sports Complex for their skills and running session.

I quickly learn that forward line coach Dan McPherson also had a brush with the local fauna.

As one of the designated mini bus drivers, McPherson has the role of taking several players out to the ground.

But he is fortunate that it doesn’t end in a mishap, as a hopping kangaroo bounces from nowhere, narrowly missing the mini bus.

Fortunately, no player, coach â€" or animal â€" is hurt in the process.

Carry on …

8:15am

The players prepare for training and have a quick meeting before starting their session. Again, it’s humid conditions. And it’s taxing for the players.

Skipper Nathan Jones later says it “tests the group”. But he’s adamant that part of the camp’s focus is to see how far the players can back up their training from one day to the next.

Much of the focus for this training session is on the game plan.

It starts and finishes with handball games. Other drills are also introduced, giving variety to the game plan.

Drills such as working the ball out of defence, kicking for goal and one-on-one contests are held. Full ground activities are also part of the session.

Specific parts of the game plan are being worked on, involving offence, defence and ball movement.

Despite the intensity of the session, there is a ‘fun’ element towards the end of training.

The boys are put into six teams â€" and this will continue at times throughout the camp â€" for various competitions.

Roos comes up with a challenge for the players â€" a goalkicking relay.

The coach asks the players to kick drop punts with their right foot, then once that’s completed â€" and won by a certain group â€" the next challenge is for the players to kick with their left.

But where it gets interesting is when Roos gets the players to produce drop kicks. Again, the boys start with their right foot, before completing the drill. Then it’s with the left foot for another crack at the drop kicks.

Torpedo kicks then follow, which draws a voice from the pack yelling ‘Dunny’, in reference to Lynden Dunn’s thumping ‘torp’ ability.

Overall, McDonald appears to capitalise best for his team, booting several goals and raising the arms in victory. New Demon Ben Newton also lays claim to a couple of wins, when he slots through goals.

It’s particularly interesting to watch the players produce drop kicks.

Some are naturals at it and you ponder for a second what it would be like if they were to ever come back into the game. But when a few kicks skew off the boot, I can’t imagine many coaches would be too keen to see it introduced into their game plan!

But, if for any reason, the Demons are producing drop kicks in 2015, you can be sure that it was practiced!

Just as the session appears to end, the players have one more competition â€" a goal shootout on the adjacent netball court.

Then after roughly four hours, the players jump in ice baths, or to be more precise, the green wheelie bins, which are clean of course (there’s no bin juice, for those curious).

12:30pm

With the session over, the squad has a quick packed lunch, before it splits into three groups: backs, midfield and forwards.

The players head to Suncoast Fitness, which is a high intensity/high performance training centre. It’s similar to a cross-fit set-up.

Melbourne has full access to the centre and the emphasis of the session is on leg strength and various plyometrics.

It’s a short, sharp session, which lasts about 40 minutes per group. That’s due to the amount of running that the players are doing up on the camp.

After weights, the boys recover in the hotel pool, completing some laps to ‘flush’ the body.

Late in the afternoon, player development manager Andrew Nichol arrives from Melbourne, along with the club’s recent draftees: Billy Stretch, Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw, Alex Neal-Bullen, Oscar McDonald, Aaron Vandenberg and Mitch White.

The group had been at the AFLPA induction camp at Etihad Stadium. 

In the meantime, players head to Coles to stock up on supplies for Wednesday, where they will prepare their own meals for the day. No doubt some will have been inspired by Masterchef et al. 

6pm

The team departs Twin Waters to Nambour Civic Centre â€" about a 20-minute drive from the apartment for a welcome dinner hosted by the Sunshine Coast Council.

Deputy Mayor Chris Thompson and Sunshine Coast Council Director Community Services â€" and mad Melbourne supporter â€" Coralie Nichols welcome the team to the Civic Centre. Paul Roos speaks on behalf of the club and hands them a signed Melbourne football, which Coralie gladly claims.

After an enjoyable evening, the team heads back to base.

It concludes another busy, yet productive day for the team. Plenty has been achieved on the first two days. In many respects, it feels as though we’ve been here much longer. It’s amazing to reflect on how much the boys pack into a day.

Purple 77

Interesting views particularly from the Demonlander, especially his/her suspicion that Toumpas might be becoming Roos' favourite  :o

kilbluff1985

really a great read wish there was this much info on every clubs sessions

is Vandeberg training yet?

Big Mac

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on January 14, 2015, 10:40:39 PM

He is training, just not with the main group - Was doing intervals today apparently

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Big  Mac on January 14, 2015, 10:50:47 PM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on January 14, 2015, 10:40:39 PM

He is training, just not with the main group - Was doing intervals today apparently

oh ok that's good signs he should be playing round 1 even if for the reserves i hope he is a good downgrade target at some stage