Winning The League, Not the Car..

Started by fieval, April 03, 2010, 04:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fieval

First time DT player and its not a bad experience so far.
Not scoring to well, but enjoying the new found interest in footy minutae ;D

Anyway, I've read several times about different strategies used for either winning your league or trying to win the lot.
Winning the lot isn't an option (trust me), but I would like to go well in my league (Its an office league).
I'm in amongst a gang of veteran players (some with 2 teams, most unfare I think >:()

When I picked my squad I got a bit dazzled by all the talk of Cash Cows, saving trades, upgrading later, playing rookies  etc. But is this really the way to go if you just want to do well in your league ???

Any tips for a newbie?

Is points now more important than upgrades later? Or picking better scoring uniques when playing against another squad ???

I would appreciate any input from you DT veterans ;D

ossie85

Pick stars in every position, and make sure that all your 8 reserves are cheapies, and you'll be solid.

Still think picking cheapiers in the midfield is the way to go.

Bluke

You want to make sure all your players are playing, including the reservers as much as possible.

fieval

Appreciate the replies :)

I did select up to 3 so called guns in each line (just not the right ones apparently ;D).

The main thing is the rookies stockmarket :), 
Is it worth playing this market to drive upgrades in your team later or just stick 6-8 real cheapies on the bench and go for every point you can as early as you can ???
Trade like a mad man early or hold your cards till mid season and crush your opposition in the run home?

Basically those in my league are milking every point early and not really focusing on upgrading lower priced players. As one guy put it "as long as my ruckmen turn up and get 40-50 points each I dont care, It means I can have Swan and Ablett on the field and their scoring more than covers a lousy ruck"

He has Hille and Warnock on the pitch.

Opinions?
I think my problem is I approached DT like footy and tried to pick a good footy side, not a points generator ::)

Live and learn ;D

ossie85

Yeah, I'm always try to pick a real football side also!

I wish fantasy football scored key backs right.

I started with a Sandi/Warnock starting combo, and it isn't really working (especially in SC). But each to their own.

MissPiesFF

M0nty has put up a great link on the main part of the site on the menu 'Players' This gives you a run down on how well these players did in previous years, if they are consistent or on the way down or up. It is really well put together and helps when you want to research your trades etc.

fieval

I hear you ossie85! It doesn't matter how good the defender does with spoils or limiting the forwards , they get nothing. And you can shank a kick or kick it straight to your opponent and get a score (still, thats the game..).

Still find it funny when I'm cheering for an opposition player to get a stat ::)

As a mad keen Hawks fan Monday should be interesting... I've got Buddy,Hodge,Selwood and Bartell on the park that day ::)

And thank you MissPiesFF :) I'm off to study that link now.
Next year I will be back Bigger, Better and more Badass ;D

MissPiesFF

Your welcome.

Next year? You may just do yourself proud this year now you have the tools to understand what DT is all about.
Good luck :)

Justin Bieber

if you are going for league win, make sure you are going to make the final 8 before doing this. save about 3 or 4 trades if you are certain to make the final 8. it can help you tilt it into your favour incase a person goes down or is rested or you want to get a guy in form.

its hard to pick the best players fantasy wise if you haven't done your research. it did happen to me first year. well it can only get better from here.

fieval

Thanks for the input Hellopplz, I appreciate it.

I have more or less decided to use up to 4 trades in the next 2 weeks then sit on my hands for a bit and see what happens.

I have cash on hand ($114500) so have some room to move I guess.

Depending on results over round 2 I will be seriously looking at Gia to J. Brown and Ball to Stanton this week.
Gia and Ball are both very capable but I feel Brownie and Stanton may give me an extra 25 - 35 points per game (Total).
However if Gia and Ball both go nuts this weekend I will lose more hair ::)

After those trades I have to somehow fix my backline.... Josh Hunt is a great defender but an awful DTer it seems, and with Maguire, Silvagni and Mitch Farmer rounding out positions 7,8 and 9 I need to get Hunt replaced ;D

(Then of course I need Ablett and Swan, oh and ROK and Goodes.... GOOD GRIEF!! ;))

I'm having fun anyway  :D

Justin Bieber

fun isn't it ;D

hunt isn't really suited to dt. i would keep him in as a cash cow. trade him out once he gets you an extra 100k or so in about 4 or 5 rounds. if you don't like him on field, put goose there.

gia and ball should come good. it was only game 1. good trades you suggested though.

3/4 guys you suggested i'm looking at as upgrade targets ;D

fieval

Yes Gia and Ball are just victims of a market economy ;D

The Brown (or ROK) and Stanton dollar gap will widen next week so I think in now would be a good move as these guys are geniune keepers for the season, while Gia and Ball are speculative keepers or upgrade path to keepers. So do it now because I can rather than later I suppose :)

As you can tell I've had to long to think and now ROK is in the frame ;D

When will it end??  ::)

Justin Bieber

panic trade on tuesday? ;D

you don't pay over 350k for a guy not likely to become a keeper. in dt i prefer anybody i fork out over 300k for, better turn into a keeper. keeps my trades to a minimum.

ossie85

Quote from: fieval on April 04, 2010, 01:34:45 AM

When will it end??  ::)

It never will.... Hundreds of potential trades to come, and I'm still pondering Karmichael Hunt for 2011 lol

fieval

Panic Trade?? Not me :)

I shall calmly log in, calmly highlight my seleceted dead wood....
calmly trade them out  8)     ..... THEN PANIC!! :o

(Then second guess, then regret, then breakdown ;D)

Oh, and then begin stressing about my next trade ::)

This DT is just Fun! Fun! Fun!! :)