Main Menu

2014 Expectations

Started by bowyanger, February 19, 2014, 09:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowyanger

Keen to get some fellow Hawk fans perspective on everything Hawthorn for 2014.

Dont be shy, throw some left fields out there, coaching staff, 2014 trade period...etc

Ill start with some.

I hope to dear god Hawthorn has a red hot go at Frawley at trade period - no one else - pay the kids that obviously have talent (Box Hill won the premiership) more to stay and bide their time if theres Franklin surplus $$$ laying around

Rioli to a HBF is a masterstroke IMO.
Hawks need pace , with Rioli on a HBF, bring in Garlett to HFF, sub him out with Hartung
As a bare minimum Hawthorn needs to play Hill, Hartung, Rioli, Smith, Garlett & Poppy every game - we can cover the loss of Franklin taking the best defender each week by having damaging, attacking,  fast players bombing it in the fwd 50.

Just let Garlett and Hartung run free like they did with Cyril in 2008 - dont try and push them into the 1%er - team orientated stuff this year. Opposition cannot tag them all

I expect Roughy, Hale and Big Ben to monster most backlines with the constant ball they are going to be fed in the fwd line. Just think how good franklin would be if he could take a mark over his head, McEvoy & Hale can do this. McEvoys addition will allow Hale to push forward more.

Hale is very underated by many but I think he is an absolute gun who gets better every year - he is a big unit - big units dont get smaller when the game wears and people are tired

Probably the most rediculous thing Ive ever witnessed is StKilda giving up big ben...thank you very much.

I expect the Cyril knockers to be even worse as they dont see, or hear the commentators calling all the pressure acts he does, running to holes, shepheards etc. I watched Cyril very close last year and his work behind the play that causes turnovers is actually amazing - its diffucult to try and tell this to ball watchers and people that only listen to what the commentators are saying.
If Cyril plays down back - his flashy ball in hand stuff will become even less of an occurance - he will do the disciplined, team first things as a priority.

Unfortunately I think players like Sewell, Burgoyne and even Mitchell & Hodge need to start making way for the likes of Hallahan, Cheney, Wanganeen, Anderson, Woodward..there are so many that we need to start blooding...even if it means subbing out, resting players somehow...we dont want to lose another JPK

Sure Ill get flamed but I dont care

Just sayin

:P

JBs-Hawks

Dont think we need to chase Frawley, we got shoey he will get there.

What we need to chase is a gun inside midfielder to take over from Sammy. Hallahan/Ando/etc might turn out to be good players but dont think they will make it to the elite bracket which we will need to maintain our window.

bowyanger

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on February 19, 2014, 09:12:30 PM
Dont think we need to chase Frawley, we got shoey he will get there.

What we need to chase is a gun inside midfielder to take over from Sammy. Hallahan/Ando/etc might turn out to be good players but dont think they will make it to the elite bracket which we will need to maintain our window.

Havnt seen much of Hallahan but he must go alright - he won the liston trophy?

Did anyone ever expect JPK to become the player he is? Opportunity gave him confidence to become elite

Remember Mitch was bypassed and taken as a rookie in his 2nd go at the draft

Anyone can do what Mitch did with the determination and opportunity - at the moment the opportunity is not there.... get 50 - 70 games into Ando & Hallahan then make a fair judgement.

I rate Lewis to be capable of taking Mitchells inside position - there arent really that many elite inside players that are going to leave their club that would be a better option than Lewis?

Who would be an example? Who are the elite inside players better than Lewis that we could chase?

I wouldnt be surprised if Schoey isnt given a chance up front / played as a utility.

I guess we do have Litherland and Kelly as reserve tall backs - but we saw the importance of Lake last year and he is in the twighlight of his career.

Frawley is just hitting his peak now. I have faith in Schoey but I think Schoey would be tying Frawleys shoelaces if he were at the Hawks as a backman

henry

Yeah I like the rioli move to a hbf too, Clarko really is a genius in the way he makes us more versatile. Not sure how often Cyril will play there in the season proper.

I agree with you too about the need for pace in the midfield, the like of hill hartung Anderson should play most weeks. Smith is a genuine gun runs all day but these guys give us an extra quick option if he is being tagged out of it.

Frawley would be great, but not that fussed if we don't get him, I actually think he'll stay anyway. Am I right in saying cotchin comes out of contract this year? If so he should be our number one target, unlikely as it is he'll leave.

bowyanger

We would have more chance getting Fyfe which would be bloody awesome, than getting Cotch

Everyone is available for a price but I dont think the Hawks have that much coin laying around to get Cotch.

Remember all the signings they did halfway through last season, and the signings they have done since Franks left?

I have no doubt Hawthorn has already spent some of the Franklin war chest on those signings - and were even anticipating his departure mid last year when those signings occured.

I dont think we need a player like Gibbs TBH

Smurph is in the same boat as Cotch

I hope they dont chase Mundy either..a bit too old next year IMO to bring in

Its out of Fyfe and Frawley....surely...or its no one

God I hope its Fyfe...he is a freak...sign him on a back ended contract for 5 years...an offer he couldnt resist...by then Hodge, Sewell, Mitchell will be gone and Fyfe comes to one of the wealthiest clubs in the league

Hed probably spew about going from purple to wees n pooh colours though

FF should start the rumours now...FYFE CONSIDERS 5 YEAR , 700K/YEAR CONTRACT WITH POWERHOUSE HAWTHORN

DONT THINK.......DO!

Mr.Craig

I'd like Fyfe too, despite being an almighty butcher.

Scrads

I think players like Fyfe or Cotchin are a bit of a pipe dream. Although I guess a Sydney fan would have said the same about Franklin until that all happened last year. I don't think we need Frawley tbh.

Vinny

Frawley is coming to Carlton fellas, back off ;)

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Vinny on February 20, 2014, 10:22:41 PM
Frawley is coming to Carlton fellas, back off ;)

You can have Danny.

Nige