The Watchlist - 2024 Edition

Started by Mat0369, January 07, 2024, 03:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

We all make mistakes but that is part of the game as well, Agree with the Laird observation and their rotations and changing positions was one of the reasons to get rid of Dawson. I started him over Laird mistake 1 and possibly mistake 2 starting Rozee over Butters jury still out on that one though,

Mat0369

I think a lot of people would have started Howes so I'm not really falling behind much with that move, plus he salvaged an okay score with a good last quarter.

Laird sat around 79% TOG the last 3 seasons so it's a bit of a drop off last night in a game he scored particularly well. I can't complain with a score of 116, but he had the opportunity to score 130+ if he was on for around 79% TOG. It's the Crouch effect at the moment with Laird and Crouch playing similar roles and trying to stagger their minutes. Dawson going forward more often could be great as it will give us a DPP option around the main byes. Fingers crossed they saw how effective he was coming in as a half forward and stick with it.

Mat0369

I'm going with Jordon to Bramble over Windhager. Part of me says it's worth getting the extra price rise from Jordon this week, but if Windhager bounces back the following week he becomes a nice option to hold to the byes. If he is no good than I can trade him without losing much anyway

Mat0369

Round 4

Score: 2150
Round Rank:  66,886
Cash: $82,000

Trades

Jordon > Bramble
Windsor > Darcy
Coffield > Brown

You cannot view this attachment.

Good: Williams, Brown, Bont, Butters, Laird, Roberts, Sanders, Sharp, English, Heeney, Flanders, Reid, Darcy
Pass: Daicos
Bad: Stewart, D'Ambrosio, Green, Miller, Powell, Grundy
Ugly: Howes, McKercher, Cadman, Campbell, Wilson

New tier for the last two because they were that bad, Bramble in particular.

Disgusting: Bramble and Clark

A pretty mediocre week where I shot myself in the foot with a couple of moves. In hindsight, Heeney seemed the obvious VC option, however I went with Butters and then tossed up English, Bont and Green to take the C. Bont's gimpy ankle had me move away from him and English looked like a genius move during the first quarter. That failed and he scored 117 which isn't too bad if others took Gawn as the popular VC option.

I originally intended to just use two trades, field Howes and Brown while holding Windhager. I convinced myself to dump Jordon after the Dees had played which meant I didn't have a loop option. Jordon out and Bramble in seemed like the right move for a cash grab with the way Bramble had been scoring and with Jordon likely having to go out around his bye week. With Sharp scoring well this also looked like a genius move allowing me to loop him on, then Bramble scored a 32 and that killed that.

If Bramble and Windhager just had one off stinkers both trades could pay off, however it hit me this week and hurts my overall.

So what to do this week? Trade wise I'll have to wait for BE's. I can field 21 this week and it might be a good week to just hold trades.

Cobra Kai looked amazing for the Lions but he was playing North and is a sub risk. Sonsie probably hasn't been good enough so he is a pass for now. They're the only two due to change in price rookie wise.

Graham, Clohesy and maybe Ramsden are rookies to consider next week. Comben and Georgiades if they score well again could also be great options although more expensive.

Darcy should get DPP R/F status assuming he has played enough games which will be a bonus for ruck coverage.

Bully

The main problem with holding trades is that you could miss a good rookie, I'd be tempted to go either Bramble to Clohesy or Windhager to Graham. That gives you the chance to stitch up D3 or M6, I'd be looking at Sheezel or Steele, both still reasonably priced. You could even upgrade Grundy to Gawn, the biggest problem with English is Bont cancels out his VC ability, something which has already cost me 100 points and well worth a trade. Gawn could easily hit 700k this year, that would just about put him out of reach.

Colliwobblers

Your right you don't have to do anything this week. Howes may lose money or score well and re-start his earnings, more likely just tread water.

Nothing on the bubble better than what's probably there for us next week?

I don't like to stand still myself, but I'm also prone to running out of trades.

It was worth getting windhager just for grabbing sharps 126 :)

Surely Bramble bounces back he was flying. I missed the game, probably a good reason for the score?

Ringo

If you want to do something this week maybe Howes to Clohessy and then Windhager/Ambrosio up to a prem you can afford.

Mat0369

Quote from: Bully on April 08, 2024, 04:23:26 PMThe main problem with holding trades is that you could miss a good rookie, I'd be tempted to go either Bramble to Clohesy or Windhager to Graham. That gives you the chance to stitch up D3 or M6, I'd be looking at Sheezel or Steele, both still reasonably priced. You could even upgrade Grundy to Gawn, the biggest problem with English is Bont cancels out his VC ability, something which has already cost me 100 points and well worth a trade. Gawn could easily hit 700k this year, that would just about put him out of reach.

Of the guys on the bubble this week or due to change in price that I don't have and already aren't priced out

Walter - pass
Hastie - pass
Lefau - pass
Woewodin - pass
Draper - pass
Sonsie - pass
McInnes - pass
Lohmann - maybe but a sub risk
Fantasia - pass
Chesser - pass
Hustwaite - pass with the sub risk
Burgoyne - see Hustwaite
Tabs - pass
Burgess - pass
Gardiner - pass
Uwland - pass
Thomas - pass
Wehr - pass
Gallagher - pass

None of those guys are worth breaking the bank for, so if I go early on someone I need to be strategic.

Looking at my rookies at the moment, here are their BE's

D'Ambrosio - 49 - hold
Williams - 7 - hold
Howes - 56 - with the bye next week I think trade is an option
Brown - -33 - easy hold
Roberts - 14 - hold for as long as possible with DPP coming
McKercher - 43 - I'd say hold at least one more because he will get DPP but he is one that may be worth going early on if I had a good upgrade option
Sanders - 8 - easy hold
Sharp - -51 - easy hold
Clark - 11 - hold for now
Harley Reid - 12 - easy hold and hitting form
Cadman - -3 - hold but may be the one to go next week with another mediocre game
Darcy - -21 - easy hold
Campbell - 31 - would be close to topped out if he keep scoring 50's. Dump at his bye the most likely scenario
Wilson - 24 - hold for now

Howes to Clohesy or Graham makes the most sense for this week. I think with my structure I'm better off grabbing Graham considering I already have Reid and I can still afford to grab Clohesy next week using the new DPP candidates. If Graham gets dropped I can hide him on my mid bench but it's a bit hard to hide anyone down back with Reid sitting there. Campbell out would be the other.

Bramble has a BE of 73 which is tough to swallow after trading him in last week. If I burn all my cash to upgrade him, it would be Duggan and cheaper down back, Josh Kelly and cheaper in the midfield or any forward not named Luke Jackson.

Quote from: Colliwobblers on April 08, 2024, 07:04:49 PMYour right you don't have to do anything this week. Howes may lose money or score well and re-start his earnings, more likely just tread water.

Nothing on the bubble better than what's probably there for us next week?

I don't like to stand still myself, but I'm also prone to running out of trades.

It was worth getting windhager just for grabbing sharps 126 :)

Surely Bramble bounces back he was flying. I missed the game, probably a good reason for the score?

Looking at the BE's now I think Howes out makes sense. He has a bye next week and he may not hit his BE if he scores like he did the last couple of weeks. Windhager will see a ton of time in the guts so I think that risk is still worth holding for a week with a 50 something BE. Bramble at 70 odd is the one but he just disappeared after QT and couldn't get involved in the play. Dogs play early and if he is a sub risk he is out.

Mat0369

Another potential trade, with mid price guys not causing me enough headaches already, I could grab Bonner for McKercher and I'd have 135k in the bank. He will get DPP next week and he has a BE of 9 with two tons, the 88 and the one 49 stinker.

Bully

Quote from: Mat0369 on April 08, 2024, 11:41:16 PMAnother potential trade, with mid price guys not causing me enough headaches already, I could grab Bonner for McKercher and I'd have 135k in the bank. He will get DPP next week and he has a BE of 9 with two tons, the 88 and the one 49 stinker.

351k is still reasonable, I liked him before his price rise even more, I'd be careful not to fall into another mid price trap however, Bonner's kicking has been Jeckyl & Hyde this year, I think the tons have masked the fact he's made quite a few howlers.

Mat0369

Quote from: Bully on April 09, 2024, 12:07:56 AM351k is still reasonable, I liked him before his price rise even more, I'd be careful not to fall into another mid price trap however, Bonner's kicking has been Jeckyl & Hyde this year, I think the tons have masked the fact he's made quite a few howlers.

Yup, too many of these crap midprice options could cook me. Only advantage I see is he is putting up decent enough numbers to get by, I know he'll chuck up a 40 at some point in the next couple weeks and I'll instantly regret the trade.

Mat0369

Tossing up Laird captain today. He has great form at Marvel and against Carlton

Also thinking of a quick Grundy to Marshall trade but I might hold off on that

Bully

Quote from: Mat0369 on April 13, 2024, 12:52:33 PMTossing up Laird captain today. He has great form at Marvel and against Carlton

Also thinking of a quick Grundy to Marshall trade but I might hold off on that

Absolute minefield for captains this week, Laird was on 88 and then got benched for the critical final 5 minutes, I feel he's being managed and may struggle to be elite this year.

Mat0369

Quote from: Bully on April 13, 2024, 11:50:09 PMAbsolute minefield for captains this week, Laird was on 88 and then got benched for the critical final 5 minutes, I feel he's being managed and may struggle to be elite this year.

He scored a whopping 4 points in the 2nd quarter as well after he started the quarter on the bench, went forward, into the middle for a bit and then back to the bench. They showed the bench cam post Berry goal and he barely celebrated, looks pissed off and like he doesn't want to be there. I feel like every game this year they have dragged him for the last few minutes which goes against the whole have your best players out there in the critical moments of a game.

In the end he scored more than Green who I had the captaincy on but it was a bit of a disaster. I also held off on the Marshall trade and I'm slightly regretting that now. My week/team is already cooked so I'll probably just evaluate during the week what to do next.

Bully

Butters & Crouch will need some luck to get off at the MRO, I'd even consider Crouch to Walsh, that looks like a good long term trade.