Brisbane Player Re-signings.

Started by Ringo, September 16, 2014, 10:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny

Nrich is just butthurt by players who leave the Lions as usual. :P

Ringo

Quote from: powersuperkents on November 12, 2014, 10:14:46 PM
Quote from: nrich102 on November 12, 2014, 10:13:19 PM
I think Yeo is a good player. I think Docherty is a good player. I think Longer has a shower load of potential ;)

Polec is overrated by most people.
Don't really know how exactly he is overrated hahaha

I think he is regarded as he should be hahaha (didn't even make Port's top 10 in the B&F - if he was overrated he would have)

He's higher regarded (and so far better) than Yeo, Docherty & Longer and was the highest profile transfer out of the homesick 5. So of course he would get more attention. I think at the most people just regard him as a prospect who has proven his legitimacy so far  :)
No objection from me to that statement. Polec is starting to realise the potential he has and will be interesting to monitor his performance next season. Polec was not given a fair go by Voss and I really blame him for some of the go home boys.

nrich102

I think Yeo is a good player. I think Docherty is a good player. I think Longer has a shower load of potential ;)

I think he is regarded as he should be hahaha (didn't even make Port's top 10 in the B&F - if he was overrated he would have)

He's higher regarded (and so far better) than Yeo, Docherty & Longer and was the highest profile transfer out of the homesick 5. So of course he would get more attention. I think at the most people just regard him as a prospect who has proven his legitimacy so far  :)
Who says that? IMO Docherty and Yeo are better, and Longer, being a ruckman, still hasn't full developed, but will be a better player in the future.

Vinny

powersuperkents

Quote from: nrich102 on November 12, 2014, 10:38:00 PM

Who says that? IMO Docherty and Yeo are better, and Longer, being a ruckman, still hasn't full developed, but will be a better player in the future.
The draft, statistics, brownlow votes and empirical evidence  :P

kilbluff1985

powersuperkents

Quote from: Ringo on November 12, 2014, 10:37:56 PM

No objection from me to that statement. Polec is starting to realise the potential he has and will be interesting to monitor his performance next season. Polec was not given a fair go by Voss and I really blame him for some of the go home boys.
But then again Voss did have the foresight to draft him. Yeah I agree about the limited opportunities he gave them, I think it's because he was coaching a team where a significant amount of players were his friends and former teammates (there's going to be a conflict of interest in those situations). He was a great coach, just didn't seem popular among board members. To be fair, Brisbane had a good list as well back then (despite what the ladder may project) - they always have a strong list, even this season where they were projected to finish last (along with the Saints) we see that these players which many people overlooked (surely everyone thought Rocky/Hanley/Redden/Zorko were fantasy guns and good players but nobody could predict the exact extent of the impact they had this season) - Martin is probably the best example of this, Luey has always been highly rated and West is a premiership ruck man, when those two weren't available we thought it was done yet Leppa created an equally, if not more, effective option through Martin. Leppa has had a fantastic year, again, despite the ladder position, there list is strong and is building up more talent. They have a great core team (will be one of the best in a few years). The problem is the players surrounding the core of the team aren't at the same level (for many it's just lack of experience and will not be a problem in the long-run) as the rest of the comp. The Crows have the same problem but I'd say Brisbane are better off, esp. because Leppa has seen this, and done the most logical thing a coach can do in this situation... Build the list. Christensen & Robinson will most likely be additions, Dayne will be part of the core. A very bright future ahead of the club - Again, I thought Leppa didn't have what it takes but he's been doing a fantastic job, very good coaching and he knows what the priorities should be.     

Ringo

Disagree slightly power - Voss was not the best coach very similar to Buckley great players but have found the transition to coach difficult. Voss did have his favourites (Why Polkinghorne kept getting games is beyond me) but he did not have the ability to react quickly to game day situations. Think Voss would have been a much better coach if he had follwed through on the Eagles assistant coach role and came back to coach after 2/3 years. Believe his new role at Power will further develop him.

powersuperkents

Quote from: Ringo on November 13, 2014, 09:20:54 AM
Disagree slightly power - Voss was not the best coach very similar to Buckley great players but have found the transition to coach difficult. Voss did have his favourites (Why Polkinghorne kept getting games is beyond me) but he did not have the ability to react quickly to game day situations. Think Voss would have been a much better coach if he had follwed through on the Eagles assistant coach role and came back to coach after 2/3 years. Believe his new role at Power will further develop him.
Yeah very good point - compare Voss, Buckley, & Hird to seasoned coaches there is a huge discrepancy. Leppa has cleaned up a lot of the auxiliary players that were not at AFL standard (e.g. Polky, Raines, Michael etc.), he has the right mindset and I think if Brown & McGrath had not retired this season he would have done the difficult task of delisting them next season. Although Brown was a legend of the game, Leppa would be capable of making the difficult calls. Voss couldn't - to emotionally attached, Leppa has the right mindset. 

Ringo

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2015-04-07/qld-talent-resign

Claye Beams and Johnathan Freeman have both extended their contracts to the end 0f 2017.

Great to see these youngsters although Beams is 23 committing.  The start of those whose contracts expire this year.

OP is updated and i will keep updated as contracts are extended.

Aish is the big one this year and we wait his decision.  Berger and Adcock are Free agents but can see them re-signing with the club. .

GoLions

Nige

Collingwood, Carlton and Melbourne are the three clubs that have shown the most interest in securing Brisbane's James Aish according to the Herald Sun.

The No. 7 selection from the 2013 national draft has given no indication he wants to stay at the Lions, rebuffing contract talks with the Lions.

Aish is a client of Liam Pickering, So anything could happen.

- AFL Draft, Trade, Free Agency, List and General News Facebook page

powersuperkents

Quote from: Nige on April 17, 2015, 09:02:53 AM
Collingwood, Carlton and Melbourne are the three clubs that have shown the most interest in securing Brisbane's James Aish according to the Herald Sun.

The No. 7 selection from the 2013 national draft has given no indication he wants to stay at the Lions, rebuffing contract talks with the Lions.

He's going, he isn't even getting good opportunities anymore in a side that is losing - and has a lot of its midfielders injured. If those two events are occurring and you're playing a tentative player in the NEAFL, he will leave. Didn't look like he was enjoying round 1 either. Personally, I think the Crows should be making the play for him because he most likely wants to return to his home state and not Victoria. Richmond & Essendon should make plays for him as well as he could play a big part in elevating either of those teams to a top 4 level. My bet would be 5% he stays as of now - still only two rounds through the season and that could change, but if I were Leppa I'd be managing him differently.

If he really wants to leave, it's for the best though. If that were the case and Brisbane somehow convinced him to resign, what would be the point..

GoLions

Quote from: powersuperkents on April 17, 2015, 10:30:16 AM
Quote from: Nige on April 17, 2015, 09:02:53 AM

He's going, he isn't even getting good opportunities anymore in a side that is losing - and has a lot of its midfielders injured. If those two events are occurring and you're playing a tentative player in the NEAFL, he will leave. Didn't look like he was enjoying round 1 either. Personally, I think the Crows should be making the play for him because he most likely wants to return to his home state and not Victoria. Richmond & Essendon should make plays for him as well as he could play a big part in elevating either of those teams to a top 4 level. My bet would be 5% he stays as of now - still only two rounds through the season and that could change, but if I were Leppa I'd be managing him differently.

If he really wants to leave, it's for the best though. If that were the case and Brisbane somehow convinced him to resign, what would be the point..
He was shower in round 1, got dropped, did well in NEAFL, came back into 22. So that isn't really a valid comment.
If he does want to leave though, and is happy to go to Melbourne, then there's now way we'd be letting him go cheaply. First rounder + extra, depending on the club getting him

Ringo

Was dropped on form as GL says and now reinstated.

The one thing to remember is Pickering is his manager and we all know he chases the dollars for his players so not confident of retaining him but trusting Aish does the right thing by the club that invested so much into him.  He is wanted by the club in that the club started negotitaions in September last year to try and tie up all the previous years draftees.  Aish is the only one not signed.  Hopefully also his strong friendship with Sam Mayes has someinfluence as well.

If he goes as GL says we would be wanting fair compensation for him.  Either a first round pick plus or a tall marking forward. Unlike the previous go home boys situation we are in a better bargaining position.