4 rookie ruck strategy

Started by cdonny, January 09, 2012, 04:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

I am considering 2 possibilities
Goldstein, Giles, Stephenson Rowe (1 prem 3 rookies)'
or
Goldstein/Berger, West, Giles, Stephenson (1 Prem I mid and 2 rookies)
Getting sold on 1 as extra prem mid will offset any loss of second Ruck.
Have not considered 4 rookie structure as may be a bit too risky for me.

bowyanger

Quote from: CuStArDaRm on January 10, 2012, 01:45:22 AM
Rooks are for making coin and you want huge best ones you can have no matter the position. There is no way you will find 4 ruck rooks worthy if a spot as best rook cash cows, I reckon 2 if we're lucky so your better off  starting with at least 1 prem there I'm going 2 and make sure you have the gun mid rooks who make the cash.

5 mid prems sounds nice but it will take a long time to upgrade others if you don't have the right rooks, remember there only there to make coin and once every 10 years a Barlow comes along and you get a keeper.

SC hasnt been going for 10 years?

How trippy to have an avatar of Eddie and then the next post was upthemaidens?....Scroll up

Maybe I should swap ZSmith for HMac.

upthemaidens

Quote from: bowyanger on January 10, 2012, 04:51:53 PM
Rooks are for making coin and you want huge best ones you can have no matter the position. There is no way you will find 4 ruck rooks worthy if a spot as best rook cash cows, I reckon 2 if we're lucky so your better off  starting with at least 1 prem there I'm going 2 and make sure you have the gun mid rooks who make the cash.

5 mid prems sounds nice but it will take a long time to upgrade others if you don't have the right rooks, remember there only there to make coin and once every 10 years a Barlow comes along and you get a keeper.

How trippy to have an avatar of Eddie and then the next post was upthemaidens?....Scroll up

iron maiden  gunna get ya  wherever you are

The F.A.R.K.

I reckon it would be great for league

my four atm would be

Giles, Stephenson, Rowe, Longer

also shortlist

Gorringe, Jenkins, Redden, Mcauley (rookie listed) and Witts

bowyanger

Quote from: upthemaidens on January 10, 2012, 04:57:33 PM
Quote from: bowyanger on January 10, 2012, 04:51:53 PM

iron maiden  gunna get ya  wherever you are

Not if I run to the hills

Hippo

I will tell you why this will work!!!!!! 3 reasons

It comes down to weather they are the starting rucks for there team... now we know Giles will be and Brogan will play 2nd fiddle, just think Smith and Fraser... this will work the same so i have no doubt there.

Next it comes down to weather Big O is starting Ruck... which is a split decision, i believe he will be!!!! but i'm sure some will say hes not.... for arguments sake lets say he is.

Both will be starting ruckman TICK!

2. lets look at the avg of starting ruckman in there respective teams and i will add the other ruckmans avg that back them up if 1st ruck is injured or what not.

Jacobs     93
Burger     102
Warnock  86
Jolly        83
Hille        85
Sandi      111
Smith      78
Ottens     98
Goldstein 113
Jamar      86
Brogan    86
Graham   76
McEvoy   101
Mumford 113
Hudson   84
Cox        112
Bailey      73

1st ruck AVG 93 (& not 1 score under 70)

now lets take out all the 100+ guns and you get a 1st ruck AVG of 84

Other Ruckman

Wood           75
Bellchambers  71
Clarke           83
Griffin           100
Fraser           74
West            76
Renouf         57
H Mac          90
Martin          86
Lobbe          75
Vickory        72
Seaby          87
Minson        83
Nic Nac       94

This groups AVG 80

out of 28 ruckman only 1 avg under 70
If you take out Renouf then no ruckman here avg under 70!!!!

With Giles and Big O size and domination in there respective leagues + mature age they will avg over 70!
remember Big O week in and week out showed up most AFL ruckman when they played 2nds so i think you could say he will avg over 70 and most likley the same as the 2nd group of ruckman above: 80 i think i am being conservative with this avg too.

Now lets be conservative again and say Giles will avg 75

Both ruckman avg over 75, TICK!!!!!

3. Everyone is worried they wont score like MID rookies....OK lets look at that in the same way using 1 dozen of the best rookies last yr

SWallow  80
Savage    76
Pups       81
Smith      80
Curnow   72
Heppal    83
Lower     82 
Mzungu   81
Stanly     78
Libba      75
Darling    70
Gaff        61

AVG: 76

THis tells me the best rookie MIDS avg less than Starting ruckman (remember we are looking at this as 1st ruckman vs MID rookies)

So on that basis the 2 starting rookie ruckman will avg at very least the same as the best MID rookies avg....but im tipping more.
Hell even the 2nd fiddle ruckman avg more than the top 11 rookies

Big O and Giles avg the same as the best MID rookies, TICK!!!!!!

Now i have worked out that the Big O and Giles as starting ruckman will give me the same as any MID rookie. granted even if its is only for 8-9 weeks

But were you win with all this is by the MID premiums you can have by doing this:

Pendles, Swan, Ablett, Selwood, Hayes in my mids witl McDonald who might lose 20ppg from his avg.... thats still a 80ppg avg.
No rookie avg over 85 last yr NONE!
and another 6 prems in my fwds and a backline thats no worse than any team posted on here.

Everyone is saying Rookie Rucks wont score like MID rookies
i think you need to look at it as will the 1st ruckman for Geelong and GWS avg the same as the MID rookies
Yes they will  ;)

Conservatively i get 155 in my rucks for 220k

Food for thought

upthemaidens

i guess the problem comes when ok lets say your 2 bench ruck(rowe and longer) dont get a game early, and its fair to think they wont.
giles and stephenson start and do fine (70-80 points) 2-3 games in at AFL level and general soreness pops up, you wont have any back-up. i guess what im saying is, stephenson and giles might be certain starters, but will u be able to say that the other 2 bench ruck are guarenteed a game? taking a zero in round 4 is just not acceptable..
  now that being said if you are going for 'league only' then it may not make any difference.
so in summary for overall i would say 'nah' for league i would say 'maybe'

bowyanger

Quote from: Hippo on January 12, 2012, 03:50:40 PM
Next it comes down to weather Big O is starting Ruck... which is a split decision, i believe he will be!!!! but i'm sure some will say hes not.... for arguments sake lets say he is.

Both will be starting ruckman TICK!

Great write up mate.
If Orrie doesnt play rd 1 though...all this will be in vain.

I could bang on about bollox and totally waste my time....instead I will keep it short, clear & concise.

If Orrie dont play your gonna be 1 player short

I maybe wrong....but I would think Rd 1, or even until rd 5 if he stinks it up...West will be given 1st chance

cdonny

Awesome argument, and has me more tempted than ever to try it!
I've got too much cash on the line in the leagues though... maybe it will take me across the line?
Might go the 1 prem, 3 rookie option, and jag that 1 extra mid instead

tom_scully

Quote from: upthemaidens on January 12, 2012, 06:48:02 PM
i guess the problem comes when ok lets say your 2 bench ruck(rowe and longer) dont get a game early, and its fair to think they wont.
giles and stephenson start and do fine (70-80 points) 2-3 games in at AFL level and general soreness pops up, you wont have any back-up. i guess what im saying is, stephenson and giles might be certain starters, but will u be able to say that the other 2 bench ruck are guarenteed a game? taking a zero in round 4 is just not acceptable..
  now that being said if you are going for 'league only' then it may not make any difference.
The bigger problem with those guys not playing is that they are not generating cash. This is where you are falling behind everyone else in overall and your league as they upgrade earlier.

Hippo

Vardy wont be ready at the start of the season and now this:

GEELONG ruckman Dawson Simpson had surgery on Thursday, which will see him miss the Cats' entire pre-season.

afl.com.au.

These 2 ruckmen wont go down with general soreness in the first third of the yr, there is more chance of a rookie mid kid getting that one.

So in comes OOOOOOOOO! they now only have 2 ruckman available!

Hippo

Quote from: upthemaidens on January 12, 2012, 06:48:02 PM
I'm actually doing this with Overall in mind  ;)

Sundown24

This issue I have is, when it comes time to "cash in" on these Rookie Rucks, that have gained a heap of money. WHO DO YOU CASH THEM IN FOR???

New, young, cheap rucks don't grow on trees. Thus, your trades would be sideways trades to a Prem/Mid Ruck (eg: Giles worth 400K to NicNat down to 400K). Isn't a sideways trade pointless.

More chance of a rookie mid going up similar amount, and more young cheapies to downgrade to to gain cash for a 2nd trade.

Eg: Shiel makes 300K, downgrade him to a new young guy that GWS give a game at round 11-13. Upgrade Kavanagh (at 300K) to PENDLES who won't be at 700K.

Thoughts?

Hippo

After the bye rounds i dont care as i dont need cover! if a prem ruck goes down with injury i will have to trade him anyway.

Its not a sideways trade if you trade a rookie thats has made cash to a fallen Premium that will go back up.

nothing is a sure thing but i think i have method to my maddness.

PICCOLLO

Read the title and began shaking my head but after reading the logic, I've changed my mind.  Ultimately you need to upgrade to two proven premiums by the end but as a starting point, its pretty good.  I wouldn't call it a gamebreaking tactic as midfield rookies are an effect option too but now that Sc rewards ruckmen so heavily, it's a good way to go.