EXV: 2013 Fixtures and Results

Started by Holz, April 12, 2013, 12:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nails

Am I the only one who'd like to see it changed next year to somewhere where like only the top 6 make finals?

(until we have/get two expansion teams)

AFL had top 8 for 16 teams which was half and now 8 from 18 make finals. Finals are meant to be for the good/best teams to compete in. I'm not a fan of teams with LOSING record making finals.

I'd like to see something like Top 6 make finals

It'd have to be something like a 3 week finals series

Top 2 automatically into prelim

3rd vs. 6th and 4th vs. 5th to get into prelim. Losers eliminated and winners play 1st and 2nd for prelim finals. I just don't think teams with records of 6-0-8 and 5-2-7 deserve to call themselves finalists.

elephants

Bashers did not deserve finals :P we'll try upset a few but we're missing so many stars and even shining lights like Houli, Jelwood and Lynchy are beginning to slow down :(

Spinking

Just my opinion, but I reckon it is ok the way it is. Understand what Nails is saying and it makes sense, but I would prefer to avoid a change for 2 reasons:

Firstly having a large group finals meant things were interesting for a lot longer for those not competing for the flag. Until the last round all but 3 teams had a chance to make the finals. I think this is good for keeping people interested - Just from my experience it was coaches out of the running who sometimes named players who weren't playing, forgot emergencies, just posted up last weeks team without checking etc.

Secondly my preference is to keep the league at this size - means better quality squads and better coaches. 

2 cents worth...  ;)

Nails

Spuds don't deserve to have their hands holded and interest kept. Not my fault if they can't put together a good side.

Ziplock

Quote from: Nails on August 05, 2013, 07:59:33 AM
Spuds don't deserve to have their hands holded and interest kept. Not my fault if they can't put together a good side.

you inherited your side, didn't even put it together....

so...?

Nails

I had the Titans originally with a lot more premos than Spink had ;)

Titans would've been similar strength to the Metal pre-trates anyway. I made some gun trades like bringing in Montagna tbh. I was the one who got our el-cap-itan in.

I just don't think finals should have losing teams. It was things like people saying "unlucky to not make final spink" that grinded my gears. Not really unlucky. He had a losing record and doesn't deserve a spot. Finals are meant to be for the champs of the seasons duking it out for the honour of winning the grand final. Not for losers to get lucky and get a BS title.

Holz

Quote from: Nails on August 05, 2013, 10:59:58 AM
I had the Titans originally with a lot more premos than Spink had ;)

Titans would've been similar strength to the Metal pre-trates anyway. I made some gun trades like bringing in Montagna tbh. I was the one who got our el-cap-itan in.

I just don't think finals should have losing teams. It was things like people saying "unlucky to not make final spink" that grinded my gears. Not really unlucky. He had a losing record and doesn't deserve a spot. Finals are meant to be for the champs of the seasons duking it out for the honour of winning the grand final. Not for losers to get lucky and get a BS title.

If your team is good why worry you will just crush those spud teams.

Nails

Sometimes spud teams get lucky :o

I just don't like losers getting the honours of being in "finals"

elephants

Quote from: Nails on August 05, 2013, 11:09:29 AM
I just don't like losers getting the honours of being in "finals"

I think you're a loser but you get a spot in finals? #doublestandards

Scrads

Nails this competition is for a bit of fun, there is no $1million at the end of it, so for all intents and purposes an extra week or two for the lower teams is no big deal. It also means our finals structure is exactly like the AFL system and Holz has said right from the beginning that he wants the comp as AFL-related as possible. Who cares if they have a chance to get lucky? upsets are exciting and that is the nature of the game (see Wolves in GF last year :P). Some teams may also be really good but be middle of the road due to injury (i.e. Bashers this year) so it makes it exciting if their players can get on the park for finals.

LaHug

Just putting it out there, I'd also like it if it were only top 6...

elephants

People scared of the Bashers! 8) #notsurprised

Nails

Not scared of 'em. Just sorta nearly makes half the season pointless when a team only needs 5-6 wins to make it in. Finals are meant to be for the best of the best. Like in the AFL it's meant to be for the best teams the top tier. In EXVs it's not really the top tier. It's just some good teams and those with losing records.

elephants

Holz

Quote from: Nails on August 05, 2013, 01:20:36 PM
Not scared of 'em. Just sorta nearly makes half the season pointless when a team only needs 5-6 wins to make it in. Finals are meant to be for the best of the best. Like in the AFL it's meant to be for the best teams the top tier. In EXVs it's not really the top tier. It's just some good teams and those with losing records.

to be fair in the afl teams who sneak into 7th or 8th dont really deserve it either. What you worked for was the double chance which gives you a massive advantage.