$2.5 Billion tv deal

Started by tbagrocks, August 18, 2015, 06:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capper

Quote from: Jukes on August 20, 2015, 06:28:27 PM
Quote from: nrich102 on August 20, 2015, 06:18:30 PM
Quote from: Mat0369 on August 20, 2015, 06:17:27 PM
Quote from: nrich102 on August 20, 2015, 06:07:52 PM
Also, whats so big about games being on HD? Aren't they all already on 7mate, which is an HD channel?

Only games broadcast in HD are the fox games at the moment. All 7 games are shot and shown in SD and the relay broadcast by fox is upscaled into HD.
Ok then, I was sure that Mate was HD
it's not like the difference between SD and HD even matters, you couldn't even notice it.
7mate is HD. NSW and QLD get AFL games in HD and VIC dont.

But it swaps for the NRL

NRL is on GEM (HD) for Vic but 9 for QLD and NSW.

tbagrocks

Quote from: j959 on August 20, 2015, 04:06:05 PM
not quite on point but slightly related, I just had to get onto FF to say that the leadership being shown by Gillon McLachlan sh*ts all over that from Andrew Demetriou imho ...

to me Demetriou was just taking a pay-cheque and I found him very autocratic and dismissive on most issues ...

McLachlan on the other hand, I've found very considered and measured in his words and decisions on 'hot-button' AFL issues ...
Umm ........ I agree!!

Dumbetriou is gawnski and Gil knows his shower!

Where is that CHEER button?

Capper

Quote from: Ringo on August 20, 2015, 08:58:51 AM
Quote from: Grazz on August 19, 2015, 07:36:13 PM
Quote from: Capper on August 19, 2015, 07:10:10 PM
3.5 games on FTA tv a week. Well done to the AFL on selling out to foxtel.

I agree with David Koch, if the AFL want more money from the TV rights then they should be showing more games in NSW and QLD. They are the viewers they are after and need to steal from NRL. So now NSW and QLD get friday night and the 2 local games and thats it.

Well played AFL, hopefully you can sit down after penning that deal

Kochi is onto something here to.
All i can be certain of is a big part of this deal was about the CEO's remuneration/bonus for the record deal, he'd care little about ripping games away from free to air TV in order to get it and the other certainty is Murdoch won't stop till he has the majority of AFL games on pay TV.
Do not about Sydney Capper but up here it is reported we will still get 4 games a week. Thursday night, Friday Night and the 2 local Lions and Suns games.
There is also strong rumours that 10 will pick up the on sold Fox rights to the Saturday Twilight game which could increase our FTA games. (Interestingly 10 is 50% owned by Murdoch and Fox so is this maybe a back door way to try and leverage AFL back to 10 in next rights)
Probably not really relevant to me but maybe to the younger and more discerning is the fact that all games are to be broadcast in HD as well.
Only 5-6 thursday night games though Ringo. Yes we do get both local games and a Friday night game but thats only 3 a week, 4 with the game on Channel 10