Steven Smith in India squad?

Started by ossie85, January 31, 2013, 05:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

Smith is picked as a batter, yet only reason i can see why he'd be there is as another spin option. So CA have yet again proved that they pick batters coz they bowl and bowlers coz they can bat.

(Although i realise in this case S.Smith can't do either)

Sapientia

If Smith never bowled a ball in his life he'd be considered a better player than people consider him now.

He's a technically sound batsman who can change gears and a dynamic fielder.

He's been average for us in the past but since his spell in the test team he's worked on his batting and is now a much more resolute and disciplined batsman. I think it's a wise choice.

Maxwell the awful choice in my eyes. The fella can't bowl (although if there's anywhere he can, it'd be India. Not because Indian pitches favour spinners, but the way Maxwell bowls lends itself to the occasional bomb of a crumbling, dry pitch.) and isn't near resolute nor disciplined enough to bat at test level.

Also turns it the same way as Lyon. Two spinners will be necessary in India and Doherty is awful so Maxwell will play, but as a batsman, bowler and fielder I'd much prefer Smith.

I think y'all are giving him a rough deal. He's worked on his batting enough, give him a chance!

ossie85

I think his batting is good enough for limited overs, but only averages 37 in first class cricket (which is actually worse than his career average!).. But if we are selecting batsmen, I don't think those averages are good enough.

Mailman the 2nd

Why is there no Hilfenhaus?

Unless I'm mistaken, he had the highest amount of Aussie wickets this season and was in the top 10 wicket takers this season with 40 odd.

Is Cricket Australia once again going to make the mistake of selecting potential over skill?

Tominator

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on February 01, 2013, 10:00:41 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, he had the highest amount of Aussie wickets this season and was in the top 10 wicket takers this season with 40 odd.

Is Cricket Australia once again going to make the mistake of selecting potential over skill?

They've effectively found a new Hilfy in Jackson Bird, who is younger and has been too good to drop

ossie85

I agree Mailman - he was statistically better than Siddle, ranked in the top 10 in the world, yet no one rates him. Looks like he is stranded on 99 wickets

BB67th

Quote from: ossie85 on February 01, 2013, 10:29:59 AM

I agree Mailman - he was statistically better than Siddle, ranked in the top 10 in the world, yet no one rates him. Looks like he is stranded on 99 wickets
He is still returning from that side strain remember. It was the same injury that Pattinson had and Hilf did it about 2 weeks later so he is behind him in his recovery and I don't think he is even bowling yet. The selectors have given indications that he will be more strongly considered for England and will almost certainly go to the Ashes where his swing will be favoured by conditions.

What I find interesting is that this season he again lost his high arm action and was falling over a little as he was bowling, which meant he lost the late swing that worked so well against India. Is this because of all the T20 cricket he played in the lead up to the test series? Or does Craig McDermott leaving the side have something to do with it as well? I don't know too much about the current bowling coach Ali de Winter, but I haven't seen too much evidence of him having a good impact on the bowlers this summer so far.

Cicjose

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/4943.html

BB that is Alister De Winter's career stats if you want to know a little more about him

Tominator

Why the sock was not picked I have no bloody idea

BB67th

Quote from: Cicjose on February 01, 2013, 03:00:14 PM
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/4943.html

BB that is Alister De Winter's career stats if you want to know a little more about him
Hmmmmm well that's nothing to shout about is it....

Hawka

I love Stevey  :-*
If Maxwell/ Henriques struggles in early tests he will get a test or two, he has heaps of potential but more with the bat, but Warney likes the way he bowls and he still could be a terrific all rounder

tbagrocks

I didn't know Steve Smith was Indian :P 

thought he was a cartoon charactor :P

Tominator

likely that he will come in for Hughes for the Third Test

BB67th

Quote from: Tominator on March 08, 2013, 09:22:58 PM
Wow. How is this spud going to be playing test cricket again?

ossie85

Quote from: Tominator on March 08, 2013, 09:22:58 PM

What's Kahawaja gotta do!