Main Menu

Cricket Bats

Started by Barlow 21, November 20, 2011, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barlow 21

Just wondering what cricket bats you guys have as I'm getting an new one for christmas.
I am thinking of getting this one
http://www.prodirectcricket.com/Products/Nike-Drive-Grade-3-English-Willow-Mens-Cricket-Bat-Navy-Orange-26600.aspx

PowerBug

Not a bad bat there Barlow.

I myself have one of these:

But Barlow, you need to remember something, it's not the bat that'll get you the runs, it's you that scores the runs. Don't rely on a new bat to score runs for you ;)

roo boys!

I wouldn't recommend that bat, but it's up to you.

I currently have a Gunn & Moore Flare DXM 909, but have been researching a new one for quite a while now. I don't really need a new one just yet, but my current bat is a SM and is getting a bit small. I like Bradburys, but the middle is too high for my liking - I love to play off the front foot. Hence why I am leaning towards a Newbery, have spent a lot of time looking at them. Another brand to look out for are Laver and Wood, but only if you are willing to spend a fair bit. They are a New Zealand based company who hand custom make all their bats out of the highest quality willow.

elephants

I currently have one of these. It's a few years old but I've scored many 50's with her. Very low middle so driving is simple.

http://www.slatergartrellsports.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/219x168/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/i/kinetic_2000_cricket_bat_puma.jpg

valkorum

Go the Bradbury.  Great family who make bats - plus they are from Perth

AFEV

Quote from: roo boys! on November 20, 2011, 12:32:07 PM

I currently have a Gunn & Moore Flare DXM 909, but have been researching a new one for quite a while now. I don't really need a new one just yet, but my current bat is a SM and is getting a bit small. I like Bradburys, but the middle is too high for my liking - I love to play off the front foot. Hence why I am leaning towards a Newbery, have spent a lot of time looking at them. Another brand to look out for are Laver and Wood, but only if you are willing to spend a fair bit. They are a New Zealand based company who hand custom make all their bats out of the highest quality willow.
I have a Newbery atm, it's fantastic.
Funny you mention L&W though as my Signature is on its way as we speak :)
Didn't really need to spend so much on a bat but I've been curious for some time now.
Oval cane handle, low sweet spot, 2lb 11oz can't bloody wait >:D

Very much a front foot player like yourself. I'll drive anything that's even a fraction full.

Only advice I can give you Barlow is don't buy a bat until you've felt it in your hands. Reviews on the internet and numbers (etc. etc) can't tell you which bat is going to be right for you.

Cookie Monster

that's my bat.

has a great middle, although, a big cherry in the middle of the bat, then got caught at deep mid-wicket.

roo boys!

Quote from: Sid on November 20, 2011, 07:05:47 PM
Quote from: roo boys! on November 20, 2011, 12:32:07 PM

I have a Newbery atm, it's fantastic.
Funny you mention L&W though as my Signature is on its way as we speak :)
Didn't really need to spend so much on a bat but I've been curious for some time now.
Oval cane handle, low sweet spot, 2lb 11oz can't bloody wait >:D

Very much a front foot player like yourself. I'll drive anything that's even a fraction full.

Only advice I can give you Barlow is don't buy a bat until you've felt it in your hands. Reviews on the internet and numbers (etc. etc) can't tell you which bat is going to be right for you.
Well tell me how the Signature goes, like you said I can't really know how good it is just from reading it online, but any bat over $1,000 obviously isn't bad :P

pothead

i am about to get myself a new bat i have a reebok at the moment but i am going to invest in one of these bats http://venomcricket.com/?cat=3

Barlow 21

Thanks guys, I think I'll go to Chappell's cricket shop in clayton to look. :)

roo boys!

Speaking of going into the store to look at the pickup/feel of the bat in your hands, where did you get your Newbery Alex? There's not too many stockists I can find in Victoria...

Barlow 21

Quote from: roo boys! on November 21, 2011, 09:21:39 PM
Speaking of going into the store to look at the pickup/feel of the bat in your hands, where did you get your Newbery Alex? There's not too many stockists I can find in Victoria...
Newbery's are very hard to find in Vic. The cheapest/easiest place is to buy from Pro Direct Cricket online.

AFEV

I got mine from De Grandi Cycle & Sport opposite Kardinia Park. They stock pretty much everything there ;)
Pretty sure it's the only one though :-X

roo boys!

Quote from: Barlow 21 on November 22, 2011, 08:12:34 AM
Newbery's are very hard to find in Vic. The cheapest/easiest place is to buy from Pro Direct Cricket online.
Or TalentCricket is even cheaper...but I want to feel the bat in my hands first.

Usman

there is no real use us suggesting which bat you should get, it is the pickup of the bat that should detemine that for you along with a variety of other things. what are your favourite shots? are you a back foot or front foot player?  comfortable on both? do you like heavy or light bats? (however weight can be irrelavent when the bat is of super high quality.)

I generally like light bats, but the best bat i have ever felt was last years Gray Nicholls Legend they only made 100 of them and they were made out of test player quality english willow (in other words the best wood that is usually reserved for professional cricketers) it wieghed around 2 lb 10 oz but felt like it was 2 lb 7 oz was just so well made. But the price tag was $800

A tip i would suggest would be to eliminate what your favourite players use and the stickers and brands you like and just feel the bat in your hands like Roo Boys said. if it doesnt fell right move on till you find the one that feels best within your price range.