Main Menu

Selection is Beating the Crows

Started by lachie_001, August 02, 2015, 09:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lachie_001

I just wanted everyone else's thoughts on how they think the coaches have gone on selection this year. I actually think this has been an underlying issue for the past 3 years. Below I have put together just a couple of examples of good players not being picked.

Examples:
2013: Graham Johncock, one of our best back pocket players. Forced into retirement due to the lack of games given.

2014: Rory Laird, couldn't break into the team last year when he was miles ahead of Luke Brown who was well out of form.

2015: Matt Crouch, killing it every game in the SANFL and still can hardly cement a spot even after a solid couple of weeks at AFL level.

These are just a couple of main examples which come to mind. But especially this year it's just been ridiculous. David Mackay, Nathan Van Berlo, Matthew Wright, Ricky Henderson have been well out of form and throughout the year have been consistently given games. While young players such as Matt Crouch, Brodie Martin, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Mitch Grigg, Sam Kerridge, Jarryd Lyons who have been in some really great form in both the AFL and SANFL, can hardly get a game. In my opinion the selectors have taken too long to react and the team has suffered. I worry that we will lose these players due to the lack of opportunity and with the 2012 draft penalties we should really be giving these next generation players more opportunity. When the crows look for there new coach, I hope they find someone like Luke Bevridge who isn't afraid to make tough decisions by dropping inconsistent regulars and backing-in form players.

Jay

Griggy not even an emergency this week.. What more does the kid have to do?

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Jayman on August 13, 2015, 10:19:51 PM

Ask for a trade to another club.  :P

Jay

Quote from: Pkbaldy on August 13, 2015, 10:22:20 PM

Ask for a trade to another club.  :P
Haha he ain't going anywhere, champ ;)

TomK

Surprised he didn't come in for Knight. He looked cooked against the Tiges, thought he'd get a rest.

Tominator

I'd give Knight a rest in the 2s and play Kerridge/Grigg

The likes of Lyons and Crouch are beginning to turn their SANFL form into great AFL form, which is great to see.

But I'm not a fan of the selection panel at all - there's a bit of a boys club going on there where certain players are favoured. To be fair, VB did earn his re-call, and Mackay has been a good sub player, but might need a drop to the 2s soon.

tbagrocks

I really hope Grigg plays the last three games and the four finals :P  But seriously, his form prior injury was AFL quality and it looked like he had done the hard work and got himself ready to make it!

Jay

Yep Grigg has to play, I don't care who goes out, but he has to play.

Grazz

Quote from: Jayman on August 19, 2015, 05:36:54 PM
Yep Grigg has to play, I don't care who goes out, but he has to play.

Amen to this.

LF

It's really annoying tbh
I knew the minute Grigg was out injured that he'd not get back into the team despite the fact he was playing extremely well before his injury.
They need to get the lazy players out and leave them out for a few weeks to earn their spot properly and give guys like Grigg and Martin a run because I can't see why Martin got dumped either,he played well in the games he played this year and I reckon the worse thing for him is he re-signed last year off the back of a great season and then they don't play him,I'd be filthy if I was him.

Grazz

Quote from: LF on August 19, 2015, 07:09:30 PM
It's really annoying tbh
I knew the minute Grigg was out injured that he'd not get back into the team despite the fact he was playing extremely well before his injury.
They need to get the lazy players out and leave them out for a few weeks to earn their spot properly and give guys like Grigg and Martin a run because I can't see why Martin got dumped either,he played well in the games he played this year and I reckon the worse thing for him is he re-signed last year off the back of a great season and then they don't play him,I'd be filthy if I was him.

Mackay and NVB to a lesser extent are lucky to be getting games. Wish the club was a bit ruthless like the Dog's ie if your form isn't good enough go and sit in 2nds until it is and someone in the 1st team is cutting it.

LF

I'd like to know why they persisted with Wright for so long,his form has been utter crap.

Grazz

Quote from: LF on August 19, 2015, 07:18:51 PM
I'd like to know why they persisted with Wright for so long,his form has been utter crap.

God only knows mate as 99.9% of us supporters have no idea why. As i said wish we were more like the Dog's with form. Names shouldn't count only form.

TomK

If I could give a game to one of VB, Mackay, Wright or Martin then I'd give it to Martin just ahead of VB.

Martin hasn't been in the team since GC game and was a late withdrawal against the Swans being pretty sick. He has only one game in the SANFL since so hasn't been able to break back in. VB after him because he offers more than the other two spuds and also he's a great bloke.

Mackay and Wright can get stuffed.

But Grigg, CEY and Kerridge should be ahead of them all.

I'd also like Cheney to come in this week for Hartigan since Brissie don't have too many tall forwards. I thought Cheney was great at the start of the year but since his back injury hasn't been able to break in for some stupid reason.

Grazz

Quote from: TomK on August 19, 2015, 08:11:01 PM
If I could give a game to one of VB, Mackay, Wright or Martin then I'd give it to Martin just ahead of VB.

Martin hasn't been in the team since GC game and was a late withdrawal against the Swans being pretty sick. He has only one game in the SANFL since so hasn't been able to break back in. VB after him because he offers more than the other two spuds and also he's a great bloke.

Mackay and Wright can get stuffed.

But Grigg, CEY and Kerridge should be ahead of them all.

I'd also like Cheney to come in this week for Hartigan since Brissie don't have too many tall forwards. I thought Cheney was great at the start of the year but since his back injury hasn't been able to break in for some stupid reason.

Agree with all of that mate. Maybe they have run out of patience with Wright last game was against the Swans, Mackay has been sub the last couple so hopefully they've just about ran out of patience with him also.