Communist AFL Bans Swans from trading players until 2017

Started by SydneyRox, October 09, 2014, 05:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

Quote from: meow meow on October 11, 2014, 03:26:48 AM
Quote from: Ziplock on October 11, 2014, 12:48:53 AM
We really, really need to clarify something.

I've always thought COLA was +9.8% on a player's contract, not 9.8% of the salary cap to be used wherever. Subsequently, they coiuld remove COLA for players being traded in couldn't they? So the contracts would be signed at (to use the last example) the 500k mark, then they would get the extra money on top of that- the actual contract wouldn't include COLA though.

Lance's contract doesn't all come out of the COLA fund but it makes no difference either way. It is an extra 9.8% on each contract, but they can just lower every contract by 9.8% if they want to work it to their advantage.

The only players that it makes any difference to are the lowest paid players, since you cannot lower their contracts.

Let's say Jetta demands to get paid 300K a year at the absolute least. He doesn't care where it comes from. The Swans pay him 270K + COLA. In this example they have an extra 30K in the 'real' salary cap and 3K in the COLA fund. These little wins add up and eventually you've got enough for 800K Buddy + his 80K COLA

In this case, the contracts the players signed with the Swans are not the same contracts that are lodged under the salary cap. Player's contracts include the COLA money, and they must be paid this amount even if COLA disappears.

In 2016 Jetta is going to have to have his contract fullfilled and the Swans have to cough up that 30K. So is Rampe. So is Titch. So is....
The Swans are going to have to come up with a million dollars in 2017 to appease all their players if they have exisiting contracts.

There's no reason why this should stop them from signing players, if they can manage it. I just doubt that they could.

Quote from: Ziplock on October 11, 2014, 12:48:53 AM

what about their AA halfback?

Did he leave for the extra year or simply because the Swans couldn't afford him anymore? Either way, any money saved this year can be spent next year. They can't bring anyone in next year but they can front load a new contract for someone that starts in 2015.

The bold part. Over the course of 2 years, clubs can pay 95% of the cap in one year, then 105% the next year.

2015 is the last year of the veterans list rule too, so the Swans won't be awash with cash when that goes out either.

kk, that makes more sense.

but then the rule's in place to 'protect sydney' in a way... which means it would assume that sydney have no concept of how to manage their list/ structure their contracts- we're not talking about melbourne here :P 

Capper

I think the issue is that contracts have been signed for "X" amount of money which includes the COLA. These contracts cant be re-written. If the Contracts didnt include the COLA payments then all would be ok

Nige

Mailman the 2nd

aka

"You can't have basic offseason structures like every other team because we implemented a rule that people complained about"

Capper

so the Swans cant have everything but all the other teams can? That sounds very fair to me

"This is not a reaction to anything," he said.

"Bullshower!!" Tabs replied

My Chumps

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 27, 2014, 07:17:52 PM
aka

"You can't have basic offseason structures like every other team because we implemented a rule that people complained about"

stew42

Quote from: tabs on October 10, 2014, 05:23:13 PM
Im not going to go through who Sydney got rid of to get Buddy and Tippett in to the club. COLA helped Tippett and Buddy get to Sydney but they could have got to Sydney without COLA as well.

We have the same cap as everyone else, the COLA payment is seperate, an add on.

COLA was never going to stay around though, the same thing happened to the Lions after the 3-peat

I will :D

Capper

and yet with the loss of
PEbbles
LRT
Membrey
Esky
Dick
Lockyer
Walsh

we stiill dont have enough cap room for Biggs. Looks like we will have 1 pick in the Nat draft though

SydneyRox

The only thing I can think of is future planning. extra room we might need to make sure we have no losses in the next 2-3 years, get boys re-signed early

T Dog

Re singeing the boys is a bit harsh... ;D

Capper

Quote from: T Dog on November 06, 2014, 09:05:37 PM
Re singeing the boys is a bit harsh... ;D
Its there fault if they have red hair though

SydneyRox

Ricochet

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-15/swans-meet-afl-commission?utm_medium=RSS

THE SYDNEY Swans are putting their case to the AFL Commission to have their two-year trading ban overturned.

The ban on trading players in to the club was introduced in September.

It came after negotiations with the AFL that led to the club being given two years to phase out its cost of living allowance (COLA).

It is understood the delegation attending AFL House on Monday included senior coach John Longmire, football department head Tom Harley, CEO Andrew Ireland and president Andrew Pridham.

SydneyRox

you would suspect it to get turned over, but some of the damage has been done, surely Patfull would have been a Swan without the interference

Capper

Quote from: SydneyRox on December 15, 2014, 03:39:51 PM
you would suspect it to get turned over, but some of the damage has been done, surely Patfull would have been a Swan without the interference
definitely but i dont think they will turn it over. They dont want Gillon to roll over on anything