The Champions League

Started by ossie85, September 07, 2012, 04:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

should it be done on overall point, position on ladder, or finals?

Holz

Quote from: nostradamus on February 27, 2013, 05:55:13 PM
Quote from: Holzman on February 27, 2013, 05:50:33 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on February 27, 2013, 05:42:28 PM
so who qualifies for the champions league?

we could have like play offs for it- like top 10 teams over first 7 rounds make it in or w.e :P

its supposed to be the top 4 from 2012.

so Scrads 1

so would that be......

1st. Premier
2nd. Runner-up
3rd. Losing semi-finalist (to Premier)
4th. losing semi-finalist (to runner-up)

no where you finished on the ladder.

Memphistopheles

Quote from: ossie85 on February 27, 2013, 04:45:55 PM

Good idea Memph :) I think we have 18 teams though? (18+18+16+14 = 66?) I could be wrong

Well that's awkward. Which comp has only 14 teams?

And why isn't there an even number of teams in each comp?

Shouldn't this have been factored in when the comps were started? We really need at least two more teams to work a proper European competition although ideally two teams need to be cut for it to work perfectly.

Especially disappointing as I don't have a team :(

I still think though that for this season the best way is to just run the one competition as there is no clear/easy way to pick the teams who should be in the CL comp from British and Asians.

For example in the Asians there's about 6-8 teams who could easily argue they should get a spot in the Champions League.

Also how do you decide which two teams don't get to play in the Knockout Cup Holz?

Then you can start the dual comps next season.

How about this to solve the 66 team problem. Based on my previous idea. Round Robin now consists of three groups of six rather than four groups which means 10 games (home & away vs each opponent).

Total number of XV teams = 66.

Knockout stage 1 (64 teams): Round 1+2 (Euro and World Premiers sit out this round)
Knockout stage 2 (32 teams): Round 3+4 (Euro and World Premiers sit out this round)
Round Robin period 1 (18 teams): 5+6+7+8+9+10 (Euro and World Premiers join in this round)
Mid Season break (bye): Rounds 11, 12 and 13
Round Robin period 2 (16 teams): Rounds 14+15+16+17.
Quarter final stage (8 teams): Rounds 18+19 (Top two from each group of three plus the next best two teams. Seeding is now done at this stage based on the round robin stage)
Semi final stage (4 teams): Rounds 20+21
Grand final (2 teams): Rounds 22+23

Then in 2014 you can go on to use the best four teams from each competition method.

Holz

the knockout one is easy.

im using a ranking system to seed the teams based off their 2013 season. thats why the comp is towards the end of the season.

i will be able to rank teams from 1st to 66th.

the champions league is abit more complicated.

im abit opposed to your idea (even though its actualyl a really good idea), just because im trying to create abit of tradition in the XVs so would like to have a champions league and a knockout comp winner.

im likely going to have a top 8 from worlds and euros.

euro has the 14 teams by the way, was intentional by me so we have strong teams. Fealt there just isnt that depth in DT that SC has. for example plenty of decent backs in Sc due to contested marks and other stuff counting so key back score alirght, in DT they suck. think Rance.

Nails

By memory most teams rested players rd22 when players were rested last...

Wasn't many resting last year because of contested top 8.

And it seemed in 2011 it was the 2nd last round players were rested, not the last as they wanted players to still have some running in them coming into week 1 of finals.

nostradamus

Quote from: Holzman on February 27, 2013, 06:04:23 PM

we could have like play offs for it- like top 10 teams over first 7 rounds make it in or w.e :P

so Scrads 1

so would that be......

1st. Premier
2nd. Runner-up

Hmmm, no-one remembers each years minor premiers, it's all about who wins the Grand Final (in the real thing that is).

l know in comps like the EPL that there's real prestige in finishing top at the end of the season regardless of whether they win the Grand Final or not.
Whereas in the AFL if you finish top and dont win the Granny its seen as a real disappointment..........Winning the Grand Final is always the ultimate goal, it just helps to finish top (or 2nd) because of the weeks rest and double chance.

nostradamus

"im likely going to have a top 8 from worlds and euros."

l think this is probably the best idea, it's called the Champions league for a reason, and there havent actually been Champions from either the BXV or AXV leagues yet.

Your trying to establish a  fantastic tradition Holz, so it would just undermine a great idea to compromise it in its inaugural year

Ziplock

memph- holz has been considering putting in expansion teams as well.

Holz

Quote from: nostradamus on February 27, 2013, 06:45:27 PM
Quote from: Holzman on February 27, 2013, 06:04:23 PM

so Scrads 1

so would that be......

1st. Premier
2nd. Runner-up

Hmmm, no-one remembers each years minor premiers, it's all about who wins the Grand Final (in the real thing that is).

l know in comps like the EPL that there's real prestige in finishing top at the end of the season regardless of whether they win the Grand Final or not.
Whereas in the AFL if you finish top and dont win the Granny its seen as a real disappointment..........Winning the Grand Final is always the ultimate goal, it just helps to finish top (or 2nd) because of the weeks rest and double chance.

I actually based it off the epl system. For me I have always felt the minor premiership should be talked up more. Gives the best induction of who the best teams for the year are not just on the day. Especially considering this is fantasy and we can't do anything about the result. No disrespect to most and he was a deserving winner but I think we all know scrads had the best euro team last year and he deserves the number 1 spot in my opinion. Willing to change is enough people say but I'm happy with having it based off ladder position. Will create some tension in the home and away season too as people chase that top 4 spot.

nostradamus

My only concern with that is what happens when a team comes from lower than 4th to win the Premiership in one (or more) of the leagues?

We'll have a Champions league without one (or more) of the actual Champion teams  :o

Afterall the XV leagues were set up based on the AFL not the EPL

....well thats my 2 cents worth, and wont keep going on about it.

In the end it's totally up to you Holz, the idea is a fantastic one and kudos to you for setting it all up

Jay

I agree with Nost here.

Keen for this to start. Hopefully the Strikers can scrape into the 4 in AXV. And as you all know, my Badgers are premiership favourites in British - just ask Lez :P

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Jayman on February 27, 2013, 07:56:41 PM
I agree with Nost here.

Keen for this to start. Hopefully the Strikers can scrape into the 4 in AXV. And as you all know, my Badgers are premiership favourites in British - just ask Lez :P
That's why I'm interested because with 18 teams, I think the weighing of the Badgers could easily win this comp.

Also for the 66 teams. Kick out the worst teams in the comps (seems harsh) e.g. Hawka Euros, Tbag Asian. And there you go. Then there's c4 worlds and Fisher Worlds.

tbagrocks

There are worse teams than mine, nothing but a few supersater and potentiol guns at Tibet ;)

Justin Bieber

Quote from: tbagrocks on February 27, 2013, 08:42:12 PM
There are worse teams than mine, nothing but a few supersater and potentiol guns at Tibet ;)
Wake up already.

Memphistopheles

Quote from: whatlez on February 27, 2013, 08:33:41 PM
Quote from: Jayman on February 27, 2013, 07:56:41 PM
I agree with Nost here.

That's why I'm interested because with 18 teams, I think the weighing of the Badgers could easily win this comp.

Also for the 66 teams. Kick out the worst teams in the comps (seems harsh) e.g. Hawka Euros, Tbag Asian. And there you go. Then there's c4 worlds and Fisher Worlds.

I'm assuming you're having a joke here whatlez.

Unless there's something I'm missing about the Sportal scoring the Bradford Badgers team is not likely to make top 4 in the British league, let alone win the CL.