Rule Change Discussion for 2015/16

Started by Ringo, July 20, 2015, 12:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Go back to just bad luck? If a player gets injured in the AFL next year it'll be that way as they won't be able to replace him

GoLions

Quote from: Ricochet on September 04, 2015, 04:13:53 PM
Go back to just bad luck? If a player gets injured in the AFL next year it'll be that way as they won't be able to replace him
They don't have that player running out on the field though, they move him to the bench. If you want it to be like the AFL, my interpretation is that our emergencies are kind of like the AFL's bench, so someone would replace said injured player.

Ricochet

Quote from: GoLions on September 04, 2015, 04:15:38 PM
They don't have that player running out on the field though, they move him to the bench. If you want it to be like the AFL, my interpretation is that our emergencies are kind of like the AFL's bench, so someone would replace said injured player.
Yeh but in real life the 4 bench players get just as much game time as most the other guys so they're effectively on the field. If they lose a player for the rest of the game in real life, then its the same as losing a best XV player for the rest of the game here

GoLions

Quote from: Ricochet on September 04, 2015, 04:17:00 PM
Yeh but in real life the 4 bench players get just as much game time as most the other guys so they're effectively on the field. If they lose a player for the rest of the game in real life, then its the same as losing a best XV player for the rest of the game here
It still doesn't change the fact that they don't continue to field that player though, which is kinda my main reason for it not counting to your score.
I don't mind the idea that someone brought up in worlds, where like if Fyfe gets tackled by Rocky and hurts himself cause he's weak as piss and can't play any more, and so stops playing at HT, you would get his score, and then 50% of your mid emergency. Understand if that's too much work for Ringo though.

Ricochet

Quote from: GoLions on September 04, 2015, 04:24:29 PM
It still doesn't change the fact that they don't continue to field that player though, which is kinda my main reason for it not counting to your score.
I don't mind the idea that someone brought up in worlds, where like if Fyfe gets tackled by Rocky and hurts himself cause he's weak as piss and can't play any more, and so stops playing at HT, you would get his score, and then 50% of your mid emergency. Understand if that's too much work for Ringo though.
Lost me here mate :P

I always viewed U1 and U2 as real lifes Bench, since they play all game. Barlow starts on the Bench for Freo nearly every game but still plays the whole game

GoLions

Quote from: Ricochet on September 04, 2015, 04:28:13 PM

I always viewed U1 and U2 as real lifes Bench, since they play all game.
Haha

Nah I don't really see them as bench, but I guess that's for each person to decide. I just feel like if you have to cop an injured score of say, 12, then it's kind of like if a team continues a game with 17 players on the field when someone gets injured early on.

Ricochet

Quote from: GoLions on September 04, 2015, 04:30:21 PM

Haha

Nah I don't really see them as bench, but I guess that's for each person to decide. I just feel like if you have to cop an injured score of say, 12, then it's kind of like if a team continues a game with 17 players on the field when someone gets injured early on.
Yeh its not really that black and white though because in real life teams have 22 contributors, not 18. I'll use Barlow again. Starts on the bench nearly every week and rotates through there just as much as every other player, yet still plays 75-80% game time, just like most other mids. So if he was to go down injured (and score 12) then the real life team loses his contribution for the rest of the game.

Do some players in the team lift in his absence... yes, a little.
Do some players in the team drop off because of fatigue, or the team having less control of the footy.... yes, a little.

Those two kinda even each other out (its impossible to work out exactly). So the total output of the team should still drop in the absence of Barlow

GoLions

Quote from: Ricochet on September 04, 2015, 04:39:18 PM

Haha

Yeh its not really that black and white though because in real life teams have 22 contributors, not 18. I'll use Barlow again. Starts on the bench nearly every week and rotates through there just as much as every other player, yet still plays 75-80% game time, just like most other mids. So if he was to go down injured (and score 12) then the real life team loses his contribution for the rest of the game.

Do some players in the team drop off because of fatigue, or the team having less control of the footy.... yes, a little.

Those two kinda even each other out (its impossible to work out exactly). So the total output of the team should still drop in the absence of Barlow
Yeah but, so Barlow gets injured, someone on the bench comes on to the ground for him (and yes I know they probably already had TOG depending on how far through the match). In BXVs, it's like, Barlow got injured, no-one comes on to the ground, and he continues playing.
That's why I kinda like the bit I brought up before, because Barlow would be playing let's say 70% less game time, and so someone else (too complicated to do more than one player) would be making up that time spent on the ground.

So Barlow gets injured on 12, after 30% game time cause he's shower. Seeing as I have Barlow (for now), Rischitelli then comes on as my 'bench' player, and he makes up for the game time that Barlow missed, and so scores 70% of 100 (his original score). So my total score for them would be 12 + 70 = 82. If it's not too much trouble, I think this is the best way to go about it, and perhaps the most realistic?

Ricochet

Quote from: GoLions on September 04, 2015, 04:51:45 PM

Haha

Yeah but, so Barlow gets injured, someone on the bench comes on to the ground for him (and yes I know they probably already had TOG depending on how far through the match). In BXVs, it's like, Barlow got injured, no-one comes on to the ground, and he continues playing.
That's why I kinda like the bit I brought up before, because Barlow would be playing let's say 70% less game time, and so someone else (too complicated to do more than one player) would be making up that time spent on the ground.

So Barlow gets injured on 12, after 30% game time cause he's shower. Seeing as I have Barlow (for now), Rischitelli then comes on as my 'bench' player, and he makes up for the game time that Barlow missed, and so scores 70% of 100 (his original score). So my total score for them would be 12 + 70 = 82. If it's not too much trouble, I think this is the best way to go about it, and perhaps the most realistic?
But then your other Emergencies should contribute to your total score as well? Since they're like the real life bench?

Yes in real life Barlow would get replaced by Rischitelli, but Rischitelli was already contributing to the team. He wasn't sitting on the bench doing nothing until Barlow got injured. Yes players are required to lift in his absence, but they also may decrease in output as they fatigue quicker.

I guess it may just the way i look at it that might be wrong/different
but in RL 22 players contribute, not just the 18 on the field
in XVs 15 players contribute

If a player gets injured at quarter time in RL then the team basically gets 21.25 worth of players contribution
If a player gets injured at quarter time in XV (and we don't have a sub rule) then the team basically gets 14.25 worth of players contribution

Think about if Brissie loss SMartin at the 5 minute mark of the game. How much would that influence the game?

GoLions

Quote from: Ricochet on September 04, 2015, 05:04:36 PM

Haha

But then your other Emergencies should contribute to your total score as well? Since they're like the real life bench?

Yes in real life Barlow would get replaced by Rischitelli, but Rischitelli was already contributing to the team. He wasn't sitting on the bench doing nothing until Barlow got injured. Yes players are required to lift in his absence, but they also may decrease in output as they fatigue quicker.

If a player gets injured at quarter time in RL then the team basically gets 21.25 worth of players contribution
If a player gets injured at quarter time in XV (and we don't have a sub rule) then the team basically gets 14.25 worth of players contribution

Think about if Brissie loss SMartin at the 5 minute mark of the game. How much would that influence the game?
And in BXVs Rischitelli isn't contributing to the team, which is why I like the % thing. Seems a bit more realistic to me I guess.

I fully understand the way you interpret it, and tbh we could go either way and it'd make sense. Also, and I think someone else has brought this up before, if you lose a player early in XVs, you've basically lost the match unless it's like 1st vs last. That isn't really the case in the AFL.

And if we lost Martin, we'd probably have someone who can actually tap the ball to our players.

Ricochet

Quote from: GoLions on September 04, 2015, 05:16:14 PM

Haha

And in BXVs Rischitelli isn't contributing to the team, which is why I like the % thing. Seems a bit more realistic to me I guess.

I fully understand the way you interpret it, and tbh we could go either way and it'd make sense. Also, and I think someone else has brought this up before, if you lose a player early in XVs, you've basically lost the match unless it's like 1st vs last. That isn't really the case in the AFL.

And if we lost Martin, we'd probably have someone who can actually tap the ball to our players.
hahaha.

Yeh sorry for going on so much about it, kinda wish we'd had more of a discussion on it in WXVs before it went to vote because I think most see Emergencies in XVs as Real Lifes Bench players.

GoLions

Quote from: Ricochet on September 04, 2015, 05:19:12 PM
Quote from: GoLions on September 04, 2015, 05:16:14 PM

Haha

hahaha.

Yeh sorry for going on so much about it, kinda wish we'd had more of a discussion on it in WXVs before it went to vote because I think most see Emergencies in XVs as Real Lifes Bench players.
Haha all good, I enjoy some decent discussion.

Ringo

Bear in mind this proposal is for a player injured before half time and for ease of calculating they get only 50% of replacements score.

So to put it simply in Brits emergencies will serve 2 purposes 1. To replace late outs and 2. To provide cover for any injuries before half time.

Using your Stefan Martin example 2 scenarios here and how I see it working if this rule is used:
1. He is injured at 15 minute mark after scoring 30 points
He is replaced by Callum Sinclair who has ruck status - Sinclair scores 86 points for the game.
Martins score is recorded 73 points - 30 Points + 1/2 Sinclair score.
Should Martin have been replaced by an OOP Player say Laird who scored 100 points.
Martins score would be 25 points - 30 points + 25 points from Laird being 1/2 of his OOP score of 50.

Do not envisage this rule being used too often but just do not want teams disadvantaged by an injury in first half. Bear in mind though rule still to voted on after discussion.

nrich102

Suck it up if a player gets injured I reckon