2021 Rookies

Started by SilverLion, December 23, 2020, 12:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

Quote from: tommy10 on March 19, 2021, 12:21:07 AM
Agree with Matt, LOB will be gone with making crucial errors. If Dow kicked the goal in the last, his scores could have gone to the mid 70s, 18 possies so got the ball, just doesn’t have the tank.

Pretty much my thinking as well. I've been pretty critical of him as a Carlton supporter but he actually showed signs tonight. He missed a lot of footy last year, but he needs to build his endurance if he is to make it at AFL level.

Quote from: bkimm32 on March 19, 2021, 12:25:10 AM
He was still nowhere to be found after the first half

69% TOG is the worry. He was the tied lowest with Gibbo of any non sub player. He was off the ground for a lot of that third quarter and one of his weaknesses is his lack of ability to run out games. 60% DE also isn't great. He did have 7 score involvements (tied with Walsh) and 8 of his 18 were contested which is a positive.

Having said that, Crippa was also nowhere to be found in the third quarter and struggled to find the pill. I think he only had 1 touch. The Richmond midfield got on top in the clearances and the two best mids for Carlton were Walsh and Newnes who were able to get to contest after contest due to their ability to cover the ground.

bkimm32

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 19, 2021, 01:06:41 AM
Quote from: tommy10 on March 19, 2021, 12:21:07 AM
Agree with Matt, LOB will be gone with making crucial errors. If Dow kicked the goal in the last, his scores could have gone to the mid 70s, 18 possies so got the ball, just doesn’t have the tank.

Pretty much my thinking as well. I've been pretty critical of him as a Carlton supporter but he actually showed signs tonight. He missed a lot of footy last year, but he needs to build his endurance if he is to make it at AFL level.

Quote from: bkimm32 on March 19, 2021, 12:25:10 AM
He was still nowhere to be found after the first half

69% TOG is the worry. He was the tied lowest with Gibbo of any non sub player. He was off the ground for a lot of that third quarter and one of his weaknesses is his lack of ability to run out games. 60% DE also isn't great. He did have 7 score involvements (tied with Walsh) and 8 of his 18 were contested which is a positive.

Having said that, Crippa was also nowhere to be found in the third quarter and struggled to find the pill. I think he only had 1 touch. The Richmond midfield got on top in the clearances and the two best mids for Carlton were Walsh and Newnes who were able to get to contest after contest due to their ability to cover the ground.
How many clangers? Cbf checking the stats but I noticed 1 out on the full, 1 handball directly to the opposition in the centre of the ground resulting in a goal, as well as 1 or 2 kicks going directly to the opposition (not clangers). I didn’t notice him give away any obvious free kicks either, but I did notice that he should have gotten a couple that weren’t paid.

Mat0369

5. One was a free against where he was caught for illegal disposal. So 4 were by hand/foot. One of those was the handball early in the game before he settled and the other was the out on the full late.

Wanderer

I think the Blues will persist with Dow. He will get zero attention from the opposition, and with the Blues playing such an attacking game style, he will rack up the possessions against the lesser teams and will pump out a couple 90+ scores to go with his 60's. He might even get to the end of a string of possessions to kick a goal here and there like he did last night. That will be enough to be an effective cash cow.

Mat0369

Yup, don't need him to average 80. You just need him to get a few decent scores for the cash gen. If he can get to 350k and we downgrade him it's 250k in the bank and an easy upgrade of Daniher and Ziebell

Ringo

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 19, 2021, 01:11:04 PM
Yup, don't need him to average 80. You just need him to get a few decent scores for the cash gen. If he can get to 350k and we downgrade him it's 250k in the bank and an easy upgrade of Daniher and Ziebell
Projection is if he scores 65 next week Dows B/E will be -12 so still making money.  Only 9 SC points in the second half the big worry for me at this stage and a lot of reasons already stated.

RaisyDaisy

I don't have Dow but for those that do I'm sure he'll score enough to make enough money and be an ok pick

He's just such a butcher I couldn't bring myself to pick him, but chances are that other similarly priced guys (Joe, Impey etc) will probably score similarly to him so it's probably not going to burn you

Bully

Quote from: Ringo on March 19, 2021, 01:20:28 PM
Projection is if he scores 65 next week Dows B/E will be -12 so still making money.  Only 9 SC points in the second half the big worry for me at this stage and a lot of reasons already stated.

JS still up in the air IMO, Williams comes back & perhaps LOB gets punted but he'll need to be on his toes. Tank clearly not suited to 75 rotations.

Mat0369

He is safe. We have Williams to come in next week, that's a straight swap for LOB. Jack Martin is probably another week away after that. Betts is competing for a spot with Fog/Gibbons

Bully

Wanderer

Quote from: Bully on March 19, 2021, 01:26:47 PM

JS still up in the air IMO, Williams comes back & perhaps LOB gets punted but he'll need to be on his toes. Tank clearly not suited to 75 rotations.
JS is a risk with most rookies.

SilverLion

FullarTON confirmed in.

Bully

Quote from: Wanderer on March 19, 2021, 01:50:56 PM
Quote from: Bully on March 19, 2021, 01:26:47 PM

JS is a risk with most rookies.

Not prepared to spend 200k on a rookie with dubious JS.

Bones Bombers

One thing I’ve noticed with Dow is that when he gets tackled he looks like he gets absolutely smashed. Doesn’t look to be very strong in the core. Makes his possessions look rushed.

Samsturmfels

Are you guys going McNeil? I currently have Jordan, Downie and Berry on bench but could move Scott to the forward line incase one of Bergman or Warner ain't named.