2021 Rookies

Started by SilverLion, December 23, 2020, 12:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughRed

Quote from: Bully on March 11, 2021, 03:24:55 PM
Quote from: Mat0369 on March 11, 2021, 03:10:26 PM
You won't know if Flynn is named by the time Meek plays unless they announce it earlier in the week. I'd have Flynn and shift to Hunter if he doesn't play

Probs have to select Flynn if named but I suspect he's still a week off, that will be the real head scratcher. Do you risk Briggs for a week? What happens if Hunter towels him up & he becomes that annoying nothing man at D8. There's also a chance Mummy gets called up, so Flynn might not be the safe bet after all.
Crickey my head hurts with all this!

I do not know the other rookie rucks but the word about Fremantle is that Longmiur does not want to unsettle the the back line so Cox is off the list as backup ruck. Lobbe (6 to 8 weeks) is out so Treacy (Ruck/Fwd)is highly likely to be in the forwards.

This is also the call on the afl website with the mock teams just up today https://www.afl.com.au/news/560895/mock-teams-who-s-in-your-club-s-best-22-for-round-one-

D'arcy is listed as Test so may still get up for R1 - IMO this is unlikely. That said even if Meek plays R1 and does well I do not see the job security as the Fremantle structure IMO does not allow for 2 dedicated ruckmen.

However while Treacy will have superior job security IMO he will be playing primarily as a key forward with little ruck involvement so his SC scoring may be limited

RaisyDaisy

Ratten said he expects Marshall will be back by Round 2 or 3, and worst case 4

I'm not starting Hunter - can always look to get him Round 3 if he looks a must and there's more clarity around his position in their side

Bully

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 11, 2021, 11:25:19 PM
Ratten said he expects Marshall will be back by Round 2 or 3, and worst case 4

I'm not starting Hunter - can always look to get him R3 if he looks a must and there's more clarity around his position in their side

Fair enough, Flynn is the way to go. Meek has Gawn so surely he gets his pants pulled down, Darcy also approaching full fitness. Can always do a correction trade if need be.

Do we still pick Briggs? I'm tempted to just pick Nick Murray and hope he gets a pay rise or two.

Colliwobblers

i got hunter for now until the fear sets in and i grab flynn pre lockout.

ive dumped briggs for murray , because im too poor for the 200-250k trio of options.

Mat0369

Quote from: Bully on March 11, 2021, 03:24:55 PM
Probs have to select Flynn if named but I suspect he's still a week off, that will be the real head scratcher. Do you risk Briggs for a week? What happens if Hunter towels him up & he becomes that annoying nothing man at D8. There's also a chance Mummy gets called up, so Flynn might not be the safe bet after all.

Briggs is worth the risk. He was really effective as a tap ruck in the game against the Swans and it felt like the Giants were making the best of his ruck work. If he comes out and performs effectively again you think the spot would be his.

enzedder

I’m still going with Hunter. If he plays every week then I expect him to be better than Meek, Flynn and Briggs if they were also to play every week. Hunter is also 102k which is another positive.
Marshall has a stress injury so he may be a long term injury or in and out of the team.
Ryder is a unknown. Personal leave/ mental health....May be 5-10 weeks... who knows? It is all speculation...Jack Steven a case in point.

enzedder

Further to my post above I’ll add when and if Marshall returns to the team he’ll become a major risk to whoever chooses to bring him in. He will need monitoring and resting with the possibility of more time on the sidelines.

Bully

Quote from: enzedder on March 12, 2021, 06:35:19 PM
I’m still going with Hunter. If he plays every week then I expect him to be better than Meek, Flynn and Briggs if they were also to play every week. Hunter is also 102k which is another positive.
Marshall has a stress injury so he may be a long term injury or in and out of the team.
Ryder is a unknown. Personal leave/ mental health....May be 5-10 weeks... who knows? It is all speculation...Jack Steven a case in point.

Fair enough logic, just keep some dough on the side for a correction trade (if need be).

shaker

I'm thinking the same can't see Paddy rushing back and Ratten said they will not be rushing Marshall back but will wait to see what goes down at GWS good thing is they play each other R1.

Bully

Quote from: shaker on March 12, 2021, 06:48:14 PM

I'm thinking the same can't see Paddy rushing back and Ratten said they will not be rushing Marshall back but will wait to see what goes down at GWS good thing is they play each other R1.

It's a tough one, Flynn seems to have the JS but Hunter appears to be the best ruck judging by his SANFL stats. The deciding factor is Briggs because you know if Flynn spuds it you will get the rewards in the backline.

shaker

Quote from: Bully on March 12, 2021, 06:52:04 PM

It's a tough one, Flynn seems to have the JS but Hunter appears to be the best ruck judging by his SANFL stats. The deciding factor is Briggs because you know if Flynn spuds it you will get the rewards in the backline.
I'm just happy there is a couple of cheap rucks this year  ;)

Bully

Quote from: shaker on March 12, 2021, 07:08:31 PM

Yep, highly unusual but I've never seen the backline in such disarray. This will cause quite a few headaches I suspect, particularly if someone like Clark fails to cement his spot.

The biggest surprise for me this year is the love of Rowell, 50% is staggering for a bloke who has played 5 games of AFL footy. Add the injury & it all looms as a recipe for disaster. Much better value with Taranto or if there are lingering doubts, grab a tried and trusted premo.

In any case, I feel ok about my squad, still looks weird with 5 premo defenders but aside from Highmore, the cupboard is bare.

enzedder

Quote from: Bully on March 12, 2021, 08:11:49 PM

Yep, highly unusual but I've never seen the backline in such disarray. This will cause quite a few headaches I suspect, particularly if someone like Clark fails to cement his spot.

The biggest surprise for me this year is the love of Rowell, 50% is staggering for a bloke who has played 5 games of AFL footy. Add the injury & it all looms as a recipe for disaster. Much better value with Taranto or if there are lingering doubts, grab a tried and trusted premo.

In any case, I feel ok about my squad, still looks weird with 5 premo defenders but aside from Highmore, the cupboard is bare.
I have Highmore too. Reckon Carlisle comes in for Frawley though so hopeful at best. That cupboard may still be bare.
Lachlan Jones at Port and Kosi at Hawthorn are our best cheap chances IMO.

shaker

Quote from: enzedder on March 12, 2021, 08:26:04 PM

I have Highmore too. Reckon Carlisle comes in for Frawley though so hopeful at best. That cupboard may still be bare.
With Paton and Geary out as well Highmore has to be a chance.

hawkers65

Quote from: enzedder on March 12, 2021, 08:26:04 PM

Highmore was in the A's today, Carlise in the B's