Main Menu

UFC

Started by Hawka, November 13, 2010, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j959

UFC 129 heads up - Sunday, 1 May 2011 from around 11am AEST.

Featuring 2 UFC titles up for grabs.

Georges St Pierre vs Jake Shields for the UFC welterweight title.
Jose Aldo vs Mark Hominick for the new UFC featherweight title.

also featuring, possibly the last fight of Hall of Famer Randy Couture vs Lyoto Machida ...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Couture-Minimizes-Retirement-Honored-to-Fight-at-UFC-129-31758

again, i'll be missing it cos of work ...  :'(

RiOtChEsS

RiOtChEsS

j959

Reminder: UFC 129 - Sunday, 1 May 2011 from around 11am AEST

Featuring 2 UFC titles up for grabs.

Georges St Pierre vs Jake Shields for the UFC welterweight title.
Jose Aldo vs Mark Hominick for the new UFC featherweight title.

also featuring, possibly the last fight of Hall of Famer Randy Couture vs Lyoto Machida ...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Couture-Minimizes-Retirement-Honored-to-Fight-at-UFC-129-31758

Main Card [info from wikipedia]

Welterweight Championship bout:  Georges St-Pierre (c) vs.  Jake Shields
Featherweight Championship bout:  José Aldo (c) vs.  Mark Hominick
Light Heavyweight bout:  Vladimir Matyushenko vs.  Jason Brilz
Light Heavyweight bout:  Randy Couture vs.  Lyoto Machida
Lightweight bout:  Mark Bocek vs.  Ben Henderson

I'm gonna miss again, visiting ossie's hometown on study leave and yes they've scheduled a lecture on Sunday afternoon ...  :'(

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Marcz on April 27, 2011, 03:13:43 PM
Chuck tipping an upset... http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/04/26/chuck-liddell-thinks-jake-shields-will-upset-georges-st-pierre/
I actually want to see Shields win as well. Not sure why but will be rooting for him ;D.

Unlucky once again J! I can't watch as well.... not enough money for PPV (Never get any PPV's) and not old enough to go to a bar to watch it.

Maca24

Looking forward to this, looks like a really good card.
GSP vs Shields has had a good leadup and Im pumped for the fight!
Would take a dam good effort to beat GSP.
Machida and Couture is another Im looking frwd to :)

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: Maca24 on April 29, 2011, 10:05:13 PM
Looking forward to this, looks like a really good card.
GSP vs Shields has had a good leadup and Im pumped for the fight!
Would take a dam good effort to beat GSP.
Machida and Couture is another Im looking frwd to :)
definitely a great card...

Randy Vs Machida :o Machida is so elusive and Randy likes to dirty box, Machida usually lands a counter strikes and Randy has an amazing chin, could be the fight of the night... could also be as boring as batshower if both arent on their game :-\

Maca24

yea your right Marcz, although Randy is always on his game  ;)
What happened to Machida? im surprised his not in the title picture.

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: Maca24 on April 30, 2011, 11:14:55 AM
im guessing similar to the Frank Mir thing, 2 matches against a guy lucky to win the first and then beaten convincingly in the 2nd fight puts u straight to the back of the line...

Maca24

Quote from: Marcz on April 30, 2011, 03:56:42 PM
im guessing similar to the Frank Mir thing, 2 matches against a guy lucky to win the first and then beaten convincingly in the 2nd fight puts u straight to the back of the line...
yea sounds about right. If Lyoto gets the win then hopefully he works his way up the ladder, if he doesnt win then he might be in strife...

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: Maca24 on April 30, 2011, 07:39:58 PM
Quote from: Marcz on April 30, 2011, 03:56:42 PM
yea sounds about right. If Lyoto gets the win then hopefully he works his way up the ladder, if he doesnt win then he might be in strife...
Randy is a massive massive chance bcos its the same old he's got no chance too old too slow scenario he loves and bam Randy Clinic in dirty boxing and ground control...

Maca24

well from what I read it was a fantastic night with a lacklustre finish.
The Machida KO over Couture was sick apparently, knocking out a tooth.
Nate Diaz got owned  :o cant belive that as I watched that McDonald kick get beat by Condit and he looked pretty poor.
Henderson a spinning backfist knockout would of been kool...
Aldo and Homminick a good 5 round fight by reports.
And the big one, GSP vs Shields was a standup jab fight. apparently very boring.
GSP won convincingly on the scorecards.

Welterweight Championship bout:  Georges St-Pierre (c) DEF Jake Shields. (Unanimous Decision)
Featherweight Championship bout:  José Aldo (c) DEF Mark Hominick. (Unanimous Decision)
Light Heavyweight bout:  Vladimir Matyushenko DEF Jason Brilz. (TKO 1st Round)
Light Heavyweight bout:  Randy Couture Lost to Lyoto Machida (KO 2nd Round)
Lightweight bout:  Mark Bocek Lost to Ben Henderson (KO 2nd Round?)

Justin Bieber

I was checking out a stream, but it kept on freezing every 5 seconds for like 10 so gave up on it.

Standup fight boring? They must have been just staring off most of the time then!

Maca24

Quote from: Hellopplz on May 01, 2011, 05:48:36 PM
I was checking out a stream, but it kept on freezing every 5 seconds for like 10 so gave up on it.

Standup fight boring? They must have been just staring off most of the time then!
I read some article stating that most of the fight was stand up and Shields couldnt take GSP to ground.
Not much action apparently..

RiOtChEsS

GSP is a master of disecting others weaknesses and exploiting them...

then there is his visualisation techniques he would be so hard to defeat without knocking him out bcos he is so mentally prepared to win...

saw a sports science special on him the other day, his endurance is 15% better than anyone else they have ever tested and they deal with elite athletes of all sports, his takedown force was equal to Rashard Evans who has 30lbs on him :o and he punches harder than Shogun Rua kicks :o :o

picture from the endurance testing