Main Menu

UFC

Started by Hawka, November 13, 2010, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levi434

Mendes looked like a weak baby kitten in the stand up. Crowd was epic to help Conor get over the line.

jvalles69

Can't wait to watch it when I get home today!  ;D

jvalles69

Holy shower, Conor was bloody lucky through that whole fight!  Someone with a longer reach would have destroyed him in the first few minutes considering how open he left himself and how reckless he was.  Those elbows to the top of Mendes head were brutal, not sure if they should have been allowed or not?  Props to Conor for for sticking with his style to take the title, but I can't see him holding the belt for very long and I can't see him beating Aldo, Mendes was in front the whole way until the TKO.

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: jvalles69 on July 13, 2015, 08:37:11 PM
Holy shower, Conor was bloody lucky through that whole fight!  Someone with a longer reach would have destroyed him in the first few minutes considering how open he left himself and how reckless he was.  Those elbows to the top of Mendes head were brutal, not sure if they should have been allowed or not?  Props to Conor for for sticking with his style to take the title, but I can't see him holding the belt for very long and I can't see him beating Aldo, Mendes was in front the whole way until the TKO.
Mendes has no heart, elite athlete sure, the conclusion to that fight was horrendous, he didnt face Conor and his hands were down, props to McGregor for sure he got mauled and as soon as he got to his feet he flowered him up in less than 20 seconds, he has the warrior spirit, Mendes doesnt, i was disgusted, me and my BJJ coach debated it for a solid hour, some dudes have that never say die attitude and Mendes does not :-X

Levi434

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on July 13, 2015, 11:19:40 PM
Mendes has no heart, elite athlete sure, the conclusion to that fight was horrendous, he didnt face Conor and his hands were down, props to McGregor for sure he got mauled and as soon as he got to his feet he flowered him up in less than 20 seconds, he has the warrior spirit, Mendes doesnt, i was disgusted, me and my BJJ coach debated it for a solid hour, some dudes have that never say die attitude and Mendes does not :-X

I agree man. You hear that passion and determination in Conor's voice every single time he talks. Perhaps the reason many including me really like and respect the guy.

jvalles69

Quote from: Levi434 on July 13, 2015, 11:49:49 PM

I agree man. You hear that passion and determination in Conor's voice every single time he talks. Perhaps the reason many including me really like and respect the guy.

Yeah, I've never followed Mendes enough to really comment, he did go down very easily though almost like Anderson Silva in the first fight against Wiedman.  Who'll McGregor fight next?  Aldo or Frankie?

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: jvalles69 on July 14, 2015, 12:57:12 AM

Yeah, I've never followed Mendes enough to really comment, he did go down very easily though almost like Anderson Silva in the first fight against Wiedman.  Who'll McGregor fight next?  Aldo or Frankie?
Has to be Aldo "best for business"

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on July 14, 2015, 11:48:31 AM

Has to be Aldo "best for business"
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/13249244/conor-mcgregor-opens-favorite-vs-jose-aldo-ufc-featherweight-title-fight

jvalles69

Just watched the Ultimate Figher finale, sick fight but Usman was way too good for Hassan.  Next series coaches are Conor McGregor and Uriah Faber!  They won't be fighting each other at the end but it will be Americans (coached by Faber) vs Europeans (coached by McGregor).  Starts in September, can't wait!

Levi434

Quote from: jvalles69 on July 14, 2015, 09:54:51 PM
Just watched the Ultimate Figher finale, sick fight but Usman was way too good for Hassan.  Next series coaches are Conor McGregor and Uriah Faber!  They won't be fighting each other at the end but it will be Americans (coached by Faber) vs Europeans (coached by McGregor).  Starts in September, can't wait!

Usman did look good.

Wow that's awesome news! That might even top this seasons.  8)

j959

I don't want to go all 'conspiracy theory' but Mendes went down way too easily for my liking ...
I haven't seen many McGregor fights so I can't be sure but against an elite NCAA wrestler McGregor got taken down easily but then Mendes can't keep him on the mat - as a former elite NCAA wrestler??!?! wtf??

and Mendes gets tagged with about 30secs to the bell for the rd and he doesn't even go for McGregor's leg?? he just goes down, goes turtle and puts his hands around his head??

i'm not saying McGregor doesn't have power and he hit Mendes good but surely his instinct is to grab for a leg for a takedown??
again, this is a former elite NCAA wrestler FFS!   ???    :-X

anyway, UFC/Dana be all like ... Aldo v  McGregor = money, money, money   :D   :P    ;)

jvalles69

Quote from: j959 on July 15, 2015, 05:06:02 PM

I don't want to go all 'conspiracy theory' but Mendes went down way too easily for my liking ...
I haven't seen many McGregor fights so I can't be sure but against an elite NCAA wrestler McGregor got taken down easily but then Mendes can't keep him on the mat - as a former elite NCAA wrestler??!?! wtf??

and Mendes gets tagged with about 30secs to the bell for the rd and he doesn't even go for McGregor's leg?? he just goes down, goes turtle and puts his hands around his head??

i'm not saying McGregor doesn't have power and he hit Mendes good but surely his instinct is to grab for a leg for a takedown??

anyway, UFC/Dana be all like ... Aldo v  McGregor = money, money, money   :D   :P    ;)

I'm not going to lie, first thing I thought was whoah, Mendes has taken a dive for some big $$$.  Still have an inkling about this as I definitely thought Mendes had the edge for the whole fight up until then.  McGregor was even doging about standing them up during the fight when Mendes was throwing bombs.

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: jvalles69 on July 15, 2015, 05:24:15 PM
Quote from: j959 on July 15, 2015, 05:06:02 PM

I'm not going to lie, first thing I thought was whoah, Mendes has taken a dive for some big $$$.  Still have an inkling about this as I definitely thought Mendes had the edge for the whole fight up until then.  McGregor was even doging about standing them up during the fight when Mendes was throwing bombs.
my coach thought he was just gassed, hurt with body shots earlier and McGregor went straight back at the body when they got up, said it isnt uncommon for guys to panic when they know theyre hurt and gassed to chuck it in, my point was he isnt a real fighter, he is an elite athlete that knows all the skills but he just isnt a "fighter"

Levi434

I don't buy it.

For example imagine if UFC actually "booked" it:

-UFC could have Conor get screwed over on points or have the ref stop the match whilst he is in a submission and he didn't tap.
-This means that Conor would have to go away to "train hard" and "put in the work."
-Then he can beat Frankie and maybe then beat Mendes before eventually fighting Aldo for the title.

I know the undefeated route is where it's ended up, but I'd prefer to see what would happen if McGregor lost. Seeing him overcome adversity and get back to the top would make the fight verses Aldo even more must see.

Similar situation with Rousey. I don't want her to lose to Corriea but I'd like to she how everyone reacts to her losing.

Hellopplz

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on July 15, 2015, 11:15:54 PM
my coach thought he was just gassed, hurt with body shots earlier and McGregor went straight back at the body when they got up, said it isnt uncommon for guys to panic when they know theyre hurt and gassed to chuck it in, my point was he isnt a real fighter, he is an elite athlete that knows all the skills but he just isnt a "fighter"
Exactly what I was thinking when I watched it. Looked like he gassed out from them so smart plan by Conor to keep going after that body, after surviving some of those brutal elbows on the ground. Mendes has so much muscle on him, which didn't help when his body got attacked so got to like the way Conor and his team attacked the body.

And surely Aldo Vs Conor is the next fight to make, no way they want to lose that pay day and now it's even bigger as Conor just beat a top 3 Featherweight in the world to make him more "legit".

Quote from: jvalles69 on July 14, 2015, 09:54:51 PM
I missed the Finale and luckily able to catch the Mir Vs Duffee card today! May try to catch Usman Vs Hayder soon, as Hayder was great in the house so hopefully he did enough to have another fight or two in the UFC. And I'd love to watch that series of TUF! The Nation Vs Nation ones usually have more heat in them and more entertaining for me. Could have been good to have Aldo to build up the rivalry but since he can't speak English, they went Faber and America. Love to see Faber try to trash talk Conor though and Aldo guest coach the Americans :P.