Main Menu

UFC

Started by Hawka, November 13, 2010, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellopplz

Apparently Assuncao is facing Faber in March while Dillashaw gets Barao in April. With you Cookie in how Dillashaw should try to avenge that loss rather than face Barao.

Cookie311993

Quote from: Hellopplz on January 22, 2015, 02:04:42 PM
Apparently Assuncao is facing Faber in March while Dillashaw gets Barao in April. With you Cookie in how Dillashaw should try to avenge that loss rather than face Barao.
Barao had his chance to avenge his loss. But he trained to hard leading up to the fight and was exhausted the morning of the fight

j959

Quote from: Hellopplz on January 22, 2015, 11:01:31 AM
They are into the money making aspect of things, and McGregor/Silva would sell tickets, so leap frog more deserving guys.

That and they protected McGregor, so avoided the top guys who could potentially get him down and beat him.
that's right, it's all about the dosh (PPVs) - McGregor is at the top of his interest (ie money-making) 'arousal curve' right now so the UFC are cashing in on the hype and interest he's generated.

I'm reserving judgment still because he talks a lot of smack but has so far backed it up - I thought Poirer would beat him easily but the reverse occurred  :o  ;)

I didn't see the Siver fight unfortunately (stoopid work) and I didn't realise he was that much on the downward slide from what I heard - initially didn't think it was such a 'gimme' match up for McGregor apart from the physical length disparity but now in hindsight see that it was just a 'warm-up' without risking the temporal loss of standing if he had lost to a Mendez/Edgar etc before getting to the champ

You would think that Aldo will pepper McGregor's legs with kicks like Siver but the champ hasn't thrown them much of late for some reason?? Otherwise, I think Aldo just takes him down and tries to submit him - never seen McGregor on the mat.

I just don't see the need to try to beat an opponent in the area (striking for McGregor) they are most comfortable when you're equally adept (BJJ for Aldo, though haven't seen that much from him - hasn't needed it much) at other disciplines of MMA ...  ;)

Quote from: Cookie311993 on January 22, 2015, 03:21:00 PM
Barao had his chance to avenge his loss. But he trained to hard leading up to the fight and was exhausted the morning of the fight
I don't get this at all ... wasn't it that he had to pull out because he exhausted himself so much because he couldn't make weight in time?? why give him another opportunity when it was something within his own control??
you're supposed to be a professional ...  ::)   ;)

Cookie311993

Quote from: j959 on January 22, 2015, 06:04:42 PM
They are into the money making aspect of things, and McGregor/Silva would sell tickets, so leap frog more deserving guys.

That and they protected McGregor, so avoided the top guys who could potentially get him down and beat him.
that's right, it's all about the dosh (PPVs) - McGregor is at the top of his interest (ie money-making) 'arousal curve' right now so the UFC are cashing in on the hype and interest he's generated.

I'm reserving judgment still because he talks a lot of smack but has so far backed it up - I thought Poirer would beat him easily but the reverse occurred  :o  ;)

I didn't see the Siver fight unfortunately (stoopid work) and I didn't realise he was that much on the downward slide from what I heard - initially didn't think it was such a 'gimme' match up for McGregor apart from the physical length disparity but now in hindsight see that it was just a 'warm-up' without risking the temporal loss of standing if he had lost to a Mendez/Edgar etc before getting to the champ

You would think that Aldo will pepper McGregor's legs with kicks like Siver but the champ hasn't thrown them much of late for some reason?? Otherwise, I think Aldo just takes him down and tries to submit him - never seen McGregor on the mat.

I just don't see the need to try to beat an opponent in the area (striking for McGregor) they are most comfortable when you're equally adept (BJJ for Aldo, though haven't seen that much from him - hasn't needed it much) at other disciplines of MMA ...  ;)

I don't get this at all ... wasn't it that he had to pull out because he exhausted himself so much because he couldn't make weight in time?? why give him another opportunity when it was something within his own control??
I think a lot more has become of Conor McGregor because he has managed to piss off Aldo. I reckon there would be a case of Aldo asking Dana White to give him McGregor next. I think this is a combination of personal and for the $$$$. Aldo wants McGregor, McGregor wants the belt, the fans want to see McGregor prove he is worth it/ Aldo flog him up.

Its really hard to judge though. McGregor hasn't proven himself against anyone who can wrestle. McGregor's last loss ame via submission. If McGregor wins Aldo gets a rematch, if Aldo wins, I don't want him to get another shot right away. Chad Mendes wants him and so does Ricardo Lamas. Give them the chance to belt him or get belted. I wanna se Aldo vs Edgar 2. Edgar really took the challenge to Aldo and made him earn the title, much like Mendes did with their last title fight

j959

Quote from: Cookie311993 on January 22, 2015, 09:42:20 PM
Quote from: j959 on January 22, 2015, 06:04:42 PM

I think a lot more has become of Conor McGregor because he has managed to piss off Aldo. I reckon there would be a case of Aldo asking Dana White to give him McGregor next. I think this is a combination of personal and for the $$$$. Aldo wants McGregor, McGregor wants the belt, the fans want to see McGregor prove he is worth it/ Aldo flog him up.

Its really hard to judge though. McGregor hasn't proven himself against anyone who can wrestle. McGregor's last loss ame via submission. If McGregor wins Aldo gets a rematch, if Aldo wins, I don't want him to get another shot right away. Chad Mendes wants him and so does Ricardo Lamas. Give them the chance to belt him or get belted. I wanna se Aldo vs Edgar 2. Edgar really took the challenge to Aldo and made him earn the title, much like Mendes did with their last title fight
I have to say that I was mightly impressed with Mendes's last crack at Aldo - he improved out of sight from this first challenge loss.
I was surprised how well Mendes closed the distance that fight - I've always thought of the upper-cut as a dangerous swing to throw because it leaves the thrower pretty open to counter (and I have to go back and watch it again) but Mendes had it pretty compact and reduced this risk imo ...

Lamas wasn't up to it but I thought that about Mendes after his first crack and he proved me wrong in his 2nd attempt!  ;)

Aldo is happy to fight McGregor for the PPV share - pretty sure he's even quoted somewhere in media about it being a big fight due to McGregor's self-promotion and he was fine with that.

jvalles69

Not sure who is most overrated, McGregor or Gustafson...  ::)

Bill Manspeaker

Conor's the real deal

RiOtChEsS

Anthony Rumble Johnson is the real deal

jvalles69

Quote from: jvalles69 on January 23, 2015, 04:55:54 PM
Not sure who is most overrated, McGregor or Gustafson...  ::)

Called in on Gustafson, we'll see the same with McGregor when he's up against someone good.

Hellopplz

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on January 26, 2015, 01:40:12 AM
Big Power he has :o. Only got to watch the match today cause was out all of yesterday so had to record it, never thought it was going to last the distance.

Cookie311993

It's about time that Johnson has fought at the right weight class. Ever since he came back and fought at light heavies, he has looked well and truly at home

He had to drop 55 lbs to fight at welterweight.

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: Hellopplz on January 26, 2015, 11:26:24 PM
Big Power he has :o. Only got to watch the match today cause was out all of yesterday so had to record it, never thought it was going to last the distance.
i thought his footwork was elite when Gus was trying to run, cut him off with heavy hands when he circled left and those head kicks when he went right, he had no idea where to go and i think he was out way before the ref stopped it
Quote from: Cookie311993 on January 27, 2015, 12:19:27 AM
It's about time that Johnson has fought at the right weight class. Ever since he came back and fought at light heavies, he has looked well and truly at home

yeah i remember he missed weight by a huge amount at an event and i thought that was going to be it for him in the ufc

Cookie311993

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on January 27, 2015, 09:33:13 AM
Quote from: Hellopplz on January 26, 2015, 11:26:24 PM
i thought his footwork was elite when Gus was trying to run, cut him off with heavy hands when he circled left and those head kicks when he went right, he had no idea where to go and i think he was out way before the ref stopped it
Quote from: Cookie311993 on January 27, 2015, 12:19:27 AM

yeah i remember he missed weight by a huge amount at an event and i thought that was going to be it for him in the ufc
I'm fairly sure it was the end of his ufc career. He went to a smaller promotion fighting at light heavyweight and impressed Dana White. He got a 4 fight contract I think. It's resulted in a contract renewal and a title shot

RiOtChEsS

He looks far more dangerous and comfortable within himself now

Cookie311993

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on January 28, 2015, 11:08:47 PM
He looks far more dangerous and comfortable within himself now
Not having to lose 55 pounds before weigh ins has him feeling alot fresher come fight time and therefore, more confident in his ability