Main Menu

UFC

Started by Hawka, November 13, 2010, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j959

Quote from: Cookie311993 on December 15, 2014, 09:45:28 PM
Quote from: j959 on December 15, 2014, 07:48:13 PM
Quote from: Hellopplz on December 12, 2014, 07:04:03 PM
Agree, he'd have to alter it quite a bit and change his body position to pull it off, but more likely to do an arm triangle than a GTS :P.

Everybody is calling him out, but apparently they are going to get him an inexperienced fighter for his first match.
WWE and MMA are obviously not the same ... he won't seriously try to use 'moves' he did in WWE in his UFC fight/s ... I don't know much about him as I don't follow recent WWE (I know of Stone Cold and the Rock but I haven't followed since Hulk Hogan days ... yep, i'm old  ;))

How good was UFC 181?!?!?!  :o    ;)

My initial thoughts were still that Hendricks took it but again it was a close one - seems to be the 'wrestling-bias' only really applied to GSP??!!   :o   ;)
You don't get points for unsuccessful takedowns, which Hendricks had a lot of.
yeh, I get that and he took a lot of damage from Lawler when he didn't pull them off so i'm fine with the decision ... but what I meant was that Hendricks seemed to 'do enough' in terms of successful take-downs to get the win imo ...

this is how Hendricks 'lost' to GSP - St Pierre kept getting Hendricks to ground but did no damage once they were there
it's the reason I kept complaining about the 'wrestling-bias' in the judging - so I reckon that Hendricks has been 'screwed' twice by the judging ...

first when they gave the title defence to GSP (you look at the 2 fighters at the end and GSP was beat up and Hendricks hardly had a scratch) ... and then when the judges gave it to Lawler (look, I like Lawler and it's a great redemption story so i'm fine with the result) where I reckon if you substituted GSP in for Hendricks, the judges would have gone against Lawler i'm pretty sure ...  ;)

jvalles69

Quote from: j959 on December 16, 2014, 12:09:24 PM
Agree, he'd have to alter it quite a bit and change his body position to pull it off, but more likely to do an arm triangle than a GTS :P.

Everybody is calling him out, but apparently they are going to get him an inexperienced fighter for his first match.
WWE and MMA are obviously not the same ... he won't seriously try to use 'moves' he did in WWE in his UFC fight/s ... I don't know much about him as I don't follow recent WWE (I know of Stone Cold and the Rock but I haven't followed since Hulk Hogan days ... yep, i'm old  ;))

My initial thoughts were still that Hendricks took it but again it was a close one - seems to be the 'wrestling-bias' only really applied to GSP??!!   :o   ;)
yeh, I get that and he took a lot of damage from Lawler when he didn't pull them off so i'm fine with the decision ... but what I meant was that Hendricks seemed to 'do enough' in terms of successful take-downs to get the win imo ...

this is how Hendricks 'lost' to GSP - St Pierre kept getting Hendricks to ground but did no damage once they were there
it's the reason I kept complaining about the 'wrestling-bias' in the judging - so I reckon that Hendricks has been 'screwed' twice by the judging ...

first when they gave the title defence to GSP (you look at the 2 fighters at the end and GSP was beat up and Hendricks hardly had a scratch) ... and then when the judges gave it to Lawler (look, I like Lawler and it's a great redemption story so i'm fine with the result) where I reckon if you substituted GSP in for Hendricks, the judges would have gone against Lawler i'm pretty sure ...  ;)

GSP had the takedown advantage and check out the numbers of strikes landed by both fighters, in my mind GSP takes it, looking at the condition of the fighters is not how a fight's decided, cos GSP looked like he got bashed by multiple Hendricks'.

j959

Quote from: jvalles69 on December 16, 2014, 04:46:01 PM
Quote from: j959 on December 16, 2014, 12:09:24 PM

GSP had the takedown advantage and check out the numbers of strikes landed by both fighters, in my mind GSP takes it, looking at the condition of the fighters is not how a fight's decided, cos GSP looked like he got bashed by multiple Hendricks'.
I honestly don't remember GSP landing more significant strikes than Hendricks in that fight ...  ???

to me the key word is 'significant' and that's why I'm fairly sure the unified rules of MMA do instruct judges to by analogy look at 'damage' - it's MMA and not boxing or WWE!  ;)

but seriously, Hendricks from my memory landed more strikes and did more damage as you wrote above GSP looked like he got smashed and Hendricks looked like he'd hardly been tagged ... and i'd say that's the fight that I saw!  ;)

jvalles69

Official numbers from the fight:

Total Strikes: 142-125 Hendricks
Significant strikes: 101-85 GSP
Takedowns: 3-2 GSP
Submission attempts: 1-0 GSP

GSP winner winner chicken dinner.

j959

Quote from: jvalles69 on December 16, 2014, 11:29:06 PM

jv, look at the damage man!   ;)

jvalles69

Quote from: j959 on December 17, 2014, 03:01:19 PM

I'd like to know exactly how the judges do judge, but I'd assume they would be tallying the same way the above panned out.

j959

Quote from: jvalles69 on December 17, 2014, 03:28:19 PM
Quote from: j959 on December 17, 2014, 03:01:19 PM

I'd like to know exactly how the judges do judge, but I'd assume they would be tallying the same way the above panned out.
do you have Hendricks v Lawler stats close to hand?  ;)
That'd be an interesting comparison ... see if my 'theory' plays out??  ???   ;)

jvalles69

Total Strikes: 145-167 Lawler
Significant strikes: 111-116 Lawler
Takedowns: 5-0 Hendricks
Submission attempts: 1-0 Hendricks

Interesting, Lawler wins based on 5 more significant strikes, I guess they judged in on his aggresiveness too!

If you want to look at others just go to the UFC website and look at past fight cards.

j959

Quote from: jvalles69 on December 17, 2014, 04:31:24 PM
Total Strikes: 145-167 Lawler
Significant strikes: 111-116 Lawler
Takedowns: 5-0 Hendricks
Submission attempts: 1-0 Hendricks

Interesting, Lawler wins based on 5 more significant strikes, I guess they judged in on his aggressiveness too!

If you want to look at others just go to the UFC website and look at past fight cards.
ah, cool.

so GSP only just took the take-down count against Hendricks ...

but Lawler takes both striking tallies against Hendricks but Lawler got 'smashed' nil-to-5 on take-downs and only 5 more significant strikes than Hendricks ...

I think that gives a nod to my 'GSP gets a judging bias for his wrestling/take-downs' theory in my book!  ;)

Cookie311993

Lawler controlled the fight. Deserves the win
http://m.au.ufc.com/event/UFC181 check out the takedowns. Hendricks got 5 out of 17 takedowns. Can't win like that

DazBurg

new breaking that rampage jackson has signed back with UFC but bellator claiming he is 100% contracted to them  :o

Bill Manspeaker

Mat0369

That was a super quick fight. Machida probably broke one of Dollaway's ribs

RiOtChEsS

Eric Silva n Renan Barao's chokes were brilliant

Hellopplz

Quote from: Mat0369 on December 21, 2014, 04:55:07 PM
That was a super quick fight. Machida probably broke one of Dollaway's ribs
Yeah, looked brutal as!!

Barao looked a bit hesistant at times and got hit cleanly by Gagnon quite a bit but rebounded from the loss well! Have to say Gagnon put up a much better fight than I expected, especially since he couldn't get him down.