Main Menu

UFC

Started by Hawka, November 13, 2010, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrowsFan

Quote from: j959 on November 15, 2013, 01:52:30 PM
CF, how's your 'lil' brother going??  :)
Well as mentioned he didn't make it on to TUF, but he is a reserve. The show is currently being filmed, which means he's not allowed to organise any fights because he may be called up to the show. So basically he is doing nothing but training at the moment. Told me he did a PB on the bench press the other day doing 2 reps of 120kg!

But yeah nothing really to report unfortunately

Grazz

Quote from: CrowsFan on November 15, 2013, 02:04:03 PM
Well as mentioned he didn't make it on to TUF, but he is a reserve. The show is currently being filmed, which means he's not allowed to organise any fights because he may be called up to the show. So basically he is doing nothing but training at the moment. Told me he did a PB on the bench press the other day doing 2 reps of 120kg!

Still good news mate, hopefully someone has to drop out.

CrowsFan

Quote from: Grazz on November 15, 2013, 07:23:52 PM

He would need 2 people to drop out unfortunately since he found out he is the second reserve, behind his coach. Plus they would both have to be Australian and be the middleweights, and when there is only 4 of them chances are he won't get on.

His coach almost got the call up the other day... They were concerned that one of the fighters wasn't going to make weight for his fight so had Priscus on standby ready to fly over, but Rob tells me he made weight.

I'm sure he'll get a fight early next year though so he can strut his stuff again :)

Grazz

Quote from: CrowsFan on November 15, 2013, 07:29:13 PM

He would need 2 people to drop out unfortunately since he found out he is the second reserve, behind his coach. Plus they would both have to be Australian and be the middleweights, and when there is only 4 of them chances are he won't get on.

His coach almost got the call up the other day... They were concerned that one of the fighters wasn't going to make weight for his fight so had Priscus on standby ready to fly over, but Rob tells me he made weight.

I'm sure he'll get a fight early next year though so he can strut his stuff again :)

Oh well fingers crossed. Don't like wishing injuries on people but i'll make an exception this time lol.

DazBurg

watching the UFC :D

Cookie311993

St-Pierre is about to lose the title

Cookie311993

Anyone else feel st-Pierre got lucky

DazBurg

Quote from: Cookie311993 on November 17, 2013, 04:44:53 PM
was just saying to HP on FB
i kinda have this empty feeling atm
i love GSP i wanted GSP to win didn't like the fact he was going to lose his title
BUT

having watched the fight as much as i hated it i knew he lost and when they read the result even though i love GSP i think Hendricks was robbed

ppl reckon Gustafsson was robbed but i watched that whle talking to HP was a close one and i still think Jone done enough to win

in this instance i think GSP should but the judges some new cars :P

Cookie311993

Quote from: DazBurg on November 17, 2013, 04:51:12 PM
i love GSP i wanted GSP to win didn't like the fact he was going to lose his title
BUT

having watched the fight as much as i hated it i knew he lost and when they read the result even though i love GSP i think Hendricks was robbed

ppl reckon Gustafsson was robbed but i watched that whle talking to HP was a close one and i still think Jone done enough to win

I wanted gsp to win as well. I thought he was pushing it to win 2 rounds let alone 3.

Gsp talking bout retirement

j959

Quote from: Cookie311993 on November 17, 2013, 05:11:47 PM
BUT

I wanted gsp to win as well. I thought he was pushing it to win 2 rounds let alone 3.

Gsp talking bout retirement
He said he was going to take a break, which could mean retirement but I think he means he's not going to get up to fight the next challenger so he'd have to relinquish the belt ...

I like GSP and am a fan like Daz but Hendricks won on my 'judging' of the fight.
I wouldn't say Hendricks was robbed, or that the result was rigged but GSP didn't win the fight imo.

I can see how judges would've scored it for GSP though - tough 1st round could've gone either way and then GSP landed more strikes. I just reckon Hendricks dominated more of the time and you can see the significant difference in actual damage between Hendricks - ie GSP will have to go to hospital for Nevada State Athletic Commission check/sign off and Hendricks won't imo ...

Pity we may not get to see a re-match cos then Hendricks will have been robbed of the opportunity to truly 'win' the belt.  ;)

j959

Quote from: CrowsFan on November 15, 2013, 07:29:13 PM

yeh, that would be good - he was really building up some good momentum ... does he have an idea why he missed out on TUF at auditions??

j959

UFC 167 - GSP vs Hendricks - quick recap ...

Got to the pub a bit later than had intended and just missed Ebersole vs Story ... caught the tail end of Herman vs Leites.

Cerrone vs Dunham
Was really looking forward to this one cos both fighters like to go bang! and this didn't disappoint ... Cerrone had the best of the stand-up action getting lots of Muay Thai knees into Dunham's body ... Cerrone easily took the round ...

Round 2 and a bit more of the same and Cerrone gets a take-down following a knee to Dunham's body yet again - but Cerrone gets a bit too high up and Dunham slips under and gets top position but while doing so Cerrone gets a leg triangle around Dunham's head and neck and taps out as Cerrone starts pulling him downwards to 'turn the screws' ...

Cerrone by submission triangle choke past half-way of rd2

Bagautinov vs Elliott
This was a tough one to score imo - the Russian was quick and crisp with power in the first round and a half and Elliot has this weird but effective style where he has no hands up in his boxing guard but he just keeps pushing the pace ... anyway, the Russian looks tired towards the end of the second but somehow finds a 2nd wind in the 3rd and gets the better of the stand-up to take the last round as well.

Bagautinov by unanimous decision

Koscheck vs Woodley
Never seen Woodley before but someone thought he was a Strikeforce fighter?? Anyway, he's a big welterweight and even though Koscheck's not small, definite size/power difference looking at them in the ring (looks like Woodley should be a middleweight!)

Bit of to and fro then Woodley gets Koscheck to one knee but he pops up and presses Woodley against the cage. Not much happening so Herb Dean stops them and puts them back in the middle, Koscheck goes down again and Woodley pounces but for some reason Herb Dean stands them up??

Woodley gets Koscheck against the cage and drops him again and follows up and ref calls it soon after.

Woodley wins via KO just before the end of Rd1

Lawler vs MacDonald
Saw some web articles saying that MacDonald was sort of being 'punished' for his last fight where he picked apart Jake Ellenberger from the outside with his jab - Dana White openly critcised the kid for not finishing Ellenberger that night which I thought was pretty unfair cos Ellenberger didn't do anything different but come in and eat MacDonald's jab all fight long.

Anyway, the mail was they gave MacDonald a similar fight-style opponent with a lower ranked (#10 welterweight contender) in Lawler to encourage MacDonald to 'engage' - ie if MacDonald wins, he doesn't really go up the pecking order unless he dominates and if he loses, he goes back down the list (also conspiracy theory about him vowing not to fight his team-mate in GSP for the title).

Anyhoo, MacDonald takes things way too slow in the 1st two rounds - good to be cautious but Lawler takes both rounds (imo) with more power and more significant strikes, though MacDonald's jab and his outside kicking was still scoring.

Lawler takes the split decision.

Sonnen vs Evans
I thought Sonnen might have this one after Evan's last 2 fights were a bit lack-lustre ... but to open Sonnen quickly goes in for the takedown which Evans stuffs and gets to the fence, both trying to dirty box from the fence but Evans eventually tags Sonnen and he goes down (i think) and Evans gets on top and starts with punches and elbows.

Sonnen is getting hit and turns over and Evans has mount on Sonnen's back and keeps hitting each side of Sonnen's head til Herb Dean has to call it.

Evans by TKO in the last minute of rd1.

GSP vs Hendricks
(see my post above)

I thought Hendricks took it 3 rds to 2, but the judges give it to GSP in a split decision.  :o  ;)

Justin Bieber

Great round up J! Watched the card and televised Prelims myself and chatted with Daz about them. Was a pretty good card! Agree that thought Hendricks won that fairly convincingly, but the first round was the decider.

Lawler/Woodley both Strikeforce imports and making a name for themselves. Both got some heavy hands and used it well in their matches. Both moving up in the division, especially Lawler who wouldn't be too far off a title shot (after another win or two) after beating Rory. He just beat Rory to the punch almost every time and was close to finishing it at one stage, but a great performance :o.

Evans returns to his old ways, finishing fights through fighting his style. Cerrone looked good in his match, usually loses to the top tier Lightweights but entertaining as to watch! Elliot has a weird way of fighting, his hands always down but has won a few matches (only lost to Dodson in the UFC before this match) so it says a bit about him!

silloc

BUT

I felt the exact same way

He has to rematch, he can't retire after that. He needs to either prove every one wrong and beat Hendricks or pass on the torch.

This time around he has nothing to lose, hopefully he can be more aggressive like when he was younger

Cookie311993

Dana White has said the St-Pierre wont retire after that. He thought Hendricks won Rounds 1,2,4,5. I thought St-Pierre won 3 and 5. He only won round 5 cause he knew he had lost and would only win if he knocked Hendricks out or made him tap