Main Menu

UFC

Started by Hawka, November 13, 2010, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiOtChEsS

Justin Bieber

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on April 26, 2013, 12:14:35 PM
Me an HP would have to be excited to see our boy potentially get a title fight  8)

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/4/20/4247844/dana-white-benson-henderson-will-fight-gray-maynard-tj-grant-winner-next-ufc-on-fox-mma

Getting a massive step up in competition though in Maynard, so hopefully can hold up well against him!

Quote from: silloc on April 25, 2013, 06:49:02 AM
also realy enjoying the chicks, the lack of weight and their awesome flexability, makes for really exciting ground game. they should bring straw weight in for our girl bec hyatt.

also LHW divi is so stacked, top ten is stupid. but i feel its unfair with jones, cows way to tall. i would imagine if he gets a few more wins, he will be forced up.

and 160 should be fun with the aus-nz boys
I've heard a bit about Bec Hyatt, but think she fights at 115lbs (may be wrong), with UFC only having the 135lbs division at the moment :-X. I'm enjoying it as well, and they are putting like one match on each card on the prelims which is nice to introduce the women :D.

160 certainly is stacked and I want to watch it as most events I've passed up as don't go to a bar or anything.

On a side note, next TUF is set to be Canada Vs Australia. Not sure how they came up with that, but will be interesting who the Coaches are. Some people mentioning Lombard/Ebersole/Noke Vs MacDonald/Cote/Stout, but all speculation.

RiOtChEsS

keen to see how he goes bcos he is clearly above his prior competitors...

be keen to see a bit more of McDonald, interesting guy, hopefully CF's brother gets a gig 8)

Justin Bieber

Yeah, would love to see CF's bro try out if near his weight class! Most tend to fight above/below their class just to get a shot, so here's hoping Rob can get a chance.

Mat0369

Just saw Bones destroyed Sonnen. Gotta love Bones Jones

silloc

Quote from: Hellopplz on April 26, 2013, 02:04:40 PM
I've heard a bit about Bec Hyatt, but think she fights at 115lbs (may be wrong), with UFC only having the 135lbs division at the moment :-X. I'm enjoying it as well, and they are putting like one match on each card on the prelims which is nice to introduce the women :D.

Yeah 115lb is straw weight, I said they "should" bring it in. they are about to do it for the guys. Bec is 24 I think, and only fairly new, so by the time they bring in straw chicks, she should be ready. They will probs bring cyborgs weight class in next but

j959

Quote from: Mat0369 on April 28, 2013, 10:57:17 PM
Just saw Bones destroyed Sonnen. Gotta love Bones Jones
Did you see his toe at the end??  :P   ;)

Roy Nelson knocks out Cheick Kongo in the 1st round, jumps onto the cage fence and starts rubbing his belly like Budda!!!  :D

Justin Bieber

Quote from: silloc on April 29, 2013, 10:31:40 AM
Quote from: Hellopplz on April 26, 2013, 02:04:40 PM

Yeah 115lb is straw weight, I said they "should" bring it in. they are about to do it for the guys. Bec is 24 I think, and only fairly new, so by the time they bring in straw chicks, she should be ready. They will probs bring cyborgs weight class in next but
Ah... So she has some time! Not sure if they'll bring in another women's weightclass anytime soon, need to get more fans into just watching women fight. An upside so far is that they are so far on a 100% finishing record :P.

Dana has said Nelson's next match will likely either be Hunt or Cormier :o :o :o. If Hunt can beat JDS, you would imagine they will set him up with Velasquez. Although if Werdum wins against Big Nog, he has been in line for a little while :P. So could see Hunt Vs Nelson which would be :o. Big hitters, great chins, although Nelson's ground game :-X.

And that toe of Jones :o. Looked quite.... :-X.

silloc

Hunt is a champ, hope JDS has the balls to stand and trade. will be epic.
But at the end of the day.... there is no fight... I want more...... than big country vs hunt..... seriously needs to be a 5 round fight
I get a boner just thinking about it, and if anyone on this earth can knock out nelson...

I do like werdum, think he has talent, not enough to dominate/hold a belt but. Soa Paleli finally got another UFC shot, you can probs thank hunts success for that.

I seriously think NRL players need to consider training in MMA during their career, start doing some amateur matches on the off season. wait till retire at 30ish, potential 7-10 year MMA career. Would be much more suited than boxing if you think of the tackling and ability to fend off opponents trying to take down. I just want more aussies in the sport  :P

Justin Bieber

Werdu, battered Nelson quite a bit with his Muay Thai! So would be very awesome if they have Hunt Vs Nelson just to see if either could get knocked out.

And alot already train a bit of Boxing while in the NRL :P. Everybody would love to see more Aussies in MMA. We also want them to do well, and by the time they are in their 30's, they may be a bit past it for a few fighters :(.

silloc

Quote from: Hellopplz on April 30, 2013, 05:28:38 PM
Werdu, battered Nelson quite a bit with his Muay Thai! So would be very awesome if they have Hunt Vs Nelson just to see if either could get knocked out.

And alot already train a bit of Boxing while in the NRL :P. Everybody would love to see more Aussies in MMA. We also want them to do well, and by the time they are in their 30's, they may be a bit past it for a few fighters :(.

not for the heavyweights

Justin Bieber

True... And not the deepest division :P.

RiOtChEsS

JDS will definitely bang with Hunt, its what he do ;)

CrowsFan

Quick update on my bro. I think he has got a light heavy fight lined up soon, but not sure on the details yet. Trying to gain weight at the moment so he doesn't have to go through the same thing as he did in the US where he was drinking water before the weigh in to try and weigh more haha!

Anyway he is a video demonstrating some of his athleticism. It's fairly impressive! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=452388858188096

j959

how's he goin CF?

UFC 160 review

and Aussie Rob Whittaker who won TUF: The Smashes last year, won his fight by TKO in the 3rd round - I only saw the replay.
Kiwi 'adopted Aussies' James Te-Huna and Mark Hunt unfortunately lost their bouts ...

TJ Grant vs Gray Maynard
He didn't look like he was doing that much but with impressive combos, Grant took Maynard down w/in the first round!  :o

Glover Teixeria vs James Te-Huna
Te-Huna looked good in the exchanges on the feet and his take-down defense was going ok - on the feet he seemed to have a speed and power advantage but at Teixeria's 3rd or 4th take-down attempt I think James got a bit complacent and he evetually lost balance and went down.

Teixeria was superior on the ground, James was no slouch but Teixeria just had a better ground game and from top position pulled guard when he saw the gullotine opportunity - Te-Huna tapped out about 2.5mins into the 1st round.

Junior Dos Santos vs Mark Hunt
i wasn't sure that Mark Hunt had anything more than 'a puncher's chance' in this because of his knock-out power but i have to say i was highly impressed with his tactics and patience against the former heavyweight champ.

Hunt watched from outside and tried to close the distance to use his power, the only issue was Dos Santos' counter right and right hooks! Hunt got one or two punches on Dos Santos and had him bleeding at the start of the 2nd round but before that Dos Santos clipped Hunt good in the first round just like he did to Cain Velasquez in their first encounter and Hunt went down but quickly got up and recovered to end the first round on the feet.

2nd round was more exchanges with Hunt trying to close the distance but not being quite fast enough with the speed differential definitely in Junior's favour and he kept getting Hunt on the counter. Hunt got only one or two more in I think and then I saw him starting to blow hard ... I thought he was gone but he had conserved energy fairly well and lasted into the 3rd round where I thought he would gas quickly.

But Hunt was ok until about 3mins into the 3rd round where I think the hits he had taken earlier as well as continuing counters from Dos Santos took their toll and Hunt was taken out by a spinning back kick that seemed to come out of no-where!  ;)

Another title shot for the former champ and for Hunt, I don't think he would drop down in rankings from this fight as he was impressive apart from deficiencies in conditioning and not having the speed to close the distance he needs. I think he should get some tips from Wanderlei Silva to fix that bit so he can be the 'controlled brawler' that i think would suit his strengths.

UFC heavyweight title fight - Velasquez vs Silva2
i have to admit I wasn't all that keen on seeing this as Cain fairly easily beat Silva in their first encounter but after seeing Silva put down Overeem earlier this year I thought it could be interesting but it wasn't to be ... a few exchanges and a couple of take-down attempts by the champ stopped but then Velasquez cracks Silva's chin with a crisp right and the big man goes down and Velasquez swarms over the top.

Think Silva didn't like the referree stoppage at first but I don't think he was defending enough to complain all that much.

Cannot wait to see Velasquez vs Dos Santos III!!!   :o   ;)