Main Menu

UFC

Started by Hawka, November 13, 2010, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiOtChEsS

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Marcz on January 27, 2013, 01:51:46 PM
T.J. Grant continues to impress the shower out of me 8)
I am a fan of Grant and Wiman but was hoping Wiman to get over Grant. Wasn't absolutely destroyed when Grant got up though, both are flying under the radar but Grant looking to step up his competition calling out Jim Miller (although recently booked to face Pat Healy).

Quote from: Marcz on February 01, 2013, 02:58:25 AM
monster news 8)

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story/_/id/8880830/anderson-silva-fight-georges-st-pierre-jon-jones-retiring
Would be HUGE fights if all can remain unbeaten in that period to make the fights mean that much more but alot of things could change.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but can't wait for next Sweden Card. Gustaffson getting back in there against Mousasi who's being tossed straight near the top in his first UFC match! Rated highly and alot can see him competing up there but thought he could use a tune up match or two before challenging Gustaff who's near the top of the division. Tough test for him with Mousasi even though many may not know about him :-X.

RiOtChEsS

yeah Grant has been decisive in his last two fights, very crisp and taking whats already on offer not forcing it... Poetry In Motion

Definitely keen to see more of Gus, havent heard a lot about the other guy but sounds dangerous 8)

Justin Bieber

Haven't seen much of Mousasi as can't see alot of other events unless I go searching for streams online, but from what I read a very dangerous fight for Gus to take :-X. Think we're like most Marcz, haven't seen him before and don't hear alot about him, yet in his first fight goes against a top LHW so looking to make a name for himself fast!

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: Hellopplz on February 02, 2013, 02:11:14 AM
Haven't seen much of Mousasi as can't see alot of other events unless I go searching for streams online, but from what I read a very dangerous fight for Gus to take :-X. Think we're like most Marcz, haven't seen him before and don't hear alot about him, yet in his first fight goes against a top LHW so looking to make a name for himself fast!

gotta be a worry for Gus, he is basically the number 1 contender and this guy can usurp it with his first fight ??? looks similar to the road they put Lesnar on, his 3rd fight was a title fight, sink or swim in the shark tank 8)

j959

Quote from: Marcz on February 02, 2013, 02:25:36 AM
Quote from: Hellopplz on February 02, 2013, 02:11:14 AM

gotta be a worry for Gus, he is basically the number 1 contender and this guy can usurp it with his first fight ??? looks similar to the road they put Lesnar on, his 3rd fight was a title fight, sink or swim in the shark tank 8)
Mousasi gets the gig cos he's a former Strikeforce champion ...

Has this already been posted ... ??

Cain Velasquez, Antonio Silva set tilt

A UFC heavyweight title fight featuring champion Cain Velasquez and Antonio Silva has been booked for a Memorial Day weekend event in Las Vegas.

The bout will headline UFC 160, which takes place on May 25 at the MGM Garden Arena. Another heavyweight pairing between former champion Junior dos Santos and Alistair Overeem will serve as the co-main event.

excerpt from: http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/8942321/cain-velasquez-antonio-silva-headline-las-vegas-ufc-card

Justin Bieber

Velasquez smashed him first match and after 2 wins gets another shot :o. Given against Browne (up and comer HW) and Overeem so seems alright with no proper contenders at the moment. If Werdrum wasn't booked, he would have probably got the shot :P. Now if he can get over Nog, should be next in line for a shot after TUF Brazil.

JDS Vs Overeem is one many wanted to watch and finally get it!

Fuel card coming up on the weekend, with Barao Vs McDonald for the title in Bantamweight :D. Got a few more good matches of up and comers. Pretty sure the Prelims are shown on Facebook 8). Think early in morning though.

j959

sorry, been off FF for a bit so missing the UFC banter with the 'crew' ...  ;)

UFC 157: Rousey v Carmouche from Anaheim, California (Disneyland hood) - Sun, 24 Feb 2013 Australia time ...

Great card in the end imo, crowd at the pub a bit down (missing about a 1/3 from the usual) and i'm hopeful that that was just cos we had the annual Cottesloe to Rottnest channel swim yesterday so some people sore and/or hungover after that yesterday ... rather than (i hope not) cos female title fight was the headline (short-sighted if it is) ...

Anyway, historic occasion - first female UFC title fight ever ... 2yrs ago CEO Dana White saying he'd never have females fighting in the UFC and now this!!!

and no disappointment!!!

Saw McGee take the unanimous decision over Josh Neer but lucky with a takedown in Rd3 cos I thought he lost round 2 ...

Urijah Faber vs. Ivan Menjivar - fairly tight contest until Faber gets onto Menjivar's back while he's standing - pretty cool rear naked by Faber while Menjivar standing ...  :)  - Faber arching Menjivar's back to get some leverage and he taps at 4:34 into rd1!

Dan Henderson vs. Lyoto Machida - tough one to score but pretty sure Machida had the split decision so agree with the judges - Machida is like the 'enigma' - thought his game was to let Hendo tire into rd3 - couple of overhand right bombs form Hendo just missing the mark could've ended it though ... tight but not that contraversial in my opinion ... Machida not likley to get a title fight from this though imo ...  ;)
(at least he looked in better shape than when he lost the title to Shogun in their re-match - pretty sure he was injured for that)

Ronda Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche - history in the making!!

Rousey pushed the pace early and had the strength advantage ... then Carmouche takes Rousey's back while standing, eerily similar to Faber over Menjivar earlier in the card ... but Ronda rides it out and gets it to the ground and goes to work getting to her 'signature' (7 out of 8 pro-finishes by armbar!) move and Carmouche quickly taps so her arm doesn't get snapped!

Carmouche could have had it as well so great fight!!!  ;)

Honourable under-card mention:
Brock Jardine vs. Kenny Robertson - for unusual leg-lock/kneebar by Robertson - unorthodox but lethal nonetheless!  :o

Maca24

Can't watch females fight, it's gross  :-X

MajorLazer

Neither. :P

Still can't get over Uriah Hall's KO in TUF 17.  :o

DazBurg

Quote from: MajorLazer on February 25, 2013, 12:03:50 AM
Neither. :P

Still can't get over Uriah Hall's KO in TUF 17.  :o
that was vicious indeed

CrowsFan

That was a great KO! I'm loving this season of TUF, think it's very interesting. Going for team Sonnen :)

Justin Bieber

Got some good prelim fights on that UFC 157 card which I enjoyed. Bermudez Vs Grice was Fight of the Night and then there was also a FB prelim with Strikeforce guys which also was great but I missed that one :'(.

Got the Fuel Card with Silva Vs Stann today, main card is pretty good with Sanchez Vs Gomi, Struve Vs Hunt, Okami Vs Lombard! Prelims can be watched on FB though https://www.facebook.com/events/416782715075256/#!/UFC/app_247211121995467 . Think it begins at 11am or 12pm Vic time as main card begins at 2pm.

DazBurg

Quote from: Hellopplz on March 03, 2013, 11:51:19 AM
Got some good prelim fights on that UFC 157 card which I enjoyed. Bermudez Vs Grice was Fight of the Night and then there was also a FB prelim with Strikeforce guys which also was great but I missed that one :'(.

Got the Fuel Card with Silva Vs Stann today, main card is pretty good with Sanchez Vs Gomi, Struve Vs Hunt, Okami Vs Lombard! Prelims can be watched on FB though https://www.facebook.com/events/416782715075256/#!/UFC/app_247211121995467 . Think it begins at 11am or 12pm Vic time as main card begins at 2pm.
HP and i watching and discussing on FB good times :)

j959

Quote from: DazBurg on March 03, 2013, 01:18:33 PM
Quote from: Hellopplz on March 03, 2013, 11:51:19 AM

HP and i watching and discussing on FB good times :)
Wasn't goin to go but went to see UFC on Fuel 8 (or UFC Japan) wk before last and boy was I glad I went!  ;D   8)

Wanderlei Silva v Brian Stann - main event at LHW
Fireworks between Wanderlei and Stann!!!  :o
Whoo! Wanderlei always brings it and Stann doesn't mind a war on the feet - both could've had it but Wanderlei comes out with some veteran moves reminding me of his Pride fighting days!
Fighting at LHW Stann doesn't drop down the middleweight standings which is good i reckon cos he could've had this one too.

Struve v Hunt - I don't know what is wrong with his coaching team but it is just bizarre to me why Struve seems to have no idea how to use his length and reach - basically just went into the trap of going toe-to-toe with a guy with heavy hands and got knocked out!  ::)   :D   8) 

Just made no sense why Stuve was doing well with the jab but went away from that and he even had the advantage on the ground but didn't want to take it there??  ???

At least Hunt is a Kiwi but training in Oz so we claim him!  ;)

Sanchez v Gomi - fairly uneventful but i reckon Gomi got screwed with the split decision against, Sanchez did almost nothing apart from getting Gomi to ground a couple of times but did nothing once there ... I reckon one last 'exhibition match' Gomi vs BJ Penn should be a goer imo!  ;)

Okami v Lombard - someone I was watching this fight with told me that Lombard got picked up by the UFC for a 6-figure contract but I couldn't really see the value of that contract - Lombard does look like he's got heavy hands but seemed to be a bit of a 'one-trick pony' with no plan B ...

and coming up ...

this Sunday! I'll be able to start my St Paddy's day drinking early over in the west (10am AWST)!!   8)  ;)

Should be a good one (and I haven't even checked out the rest of the card!).   ;)