Main Menu

2011 AFL draft

Started by Centurions, November 20, 2011, 10:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurions

Voss has said he will pick the best players available rather than positional

Ringo

As a Brisbane supporter I would like Longer but do not see him being available at 8 unfortunately.  Any 2 on the list will be an asset if available at 8 & 12.

Cicjose

Ringo

I suspect the order based on availability of those mentioned wil be:

Longer
Buntine
Tomlinson
Greene
Smith

Doubt Longer or Buntine will be available at 8 or 12.
Our recruiting people seem to be rating Tomlinson above Greene.

FisherSaints

I think you should go for Buntine (pick 8) and Bolger to replace Clark or Elton

Centurions

Quote from: Ringo on November 20, 2011, 11:50:40 PM
As a Brisbane supporter I would like Longer but do not see him being available at 8 unfortunately.  Any 2 on the list will be an asset if available at 8 & 12.

The mail is that GWS will role the dice and take Tomlinson at 7 and then bank on Brisbane not going for him at no. 8 and getting him at 9

Ringo

Quote from: Centurions on November 21, 2011, 09:02:40 PM
Quote from: Ringo on November 20, 2011, 11:50:40 PM

The mail is that GWS will role the dice and take Tomlinson at 7 and then bank on Brisbane not going for him at no. 8 and getting him at 9
Hope you're right but depends on who Vossie and recruiters think is best available at 8 if Greene, Longer or Tomlinson are still available.  If we do not get a ruck in draft suspect we will relist McAuley at pre season draft.
BTW Nice to have another Brissie supporter on the boards.

Centurions

Mate im a die hard Lions man and i have a feeling we will come good soon with our list :). Im not sure why McAuley was delisted he wasnt too bad. I think the Lions will have Tomliinson as a priority with Toby Greene or Devon Smith

Ringo

FYI Cent I have been a Bears/Lions supporter since 1988 and unashamedly so. I have a feeling that if our list stays healthy this year we will surprise a few and will not surprise to see us sneak into the eight if we are no worse than 3/4 from our first seven games as the second half of the draw is quite favourable for us. (we only play 2 of last years top 8 Carlton and West Coast twice)

Cicjose

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=126355

It's a thorough examination, but Lions national talent manager Rob Kerr makes no apologies.

He's charged with sifting through the hundreds of AFL hopefuls in the talent pool for the 2011 NAB AFL Draft and coming up with a short list of players he believes will justify the considerable investment his club will make in them if he calls their name at Thursday night's draft meeting in Sydney.

"The main thing with our interviews is that we're just trying to get to know them a little better and get a feel for their personality, character and life experiences," Kerr says.

"They're obviously pretty important and, in our case, most of the boys will have to move interstate, so we try to probe around a few of those life experiences and get a bit of insight into when they've had to adapt to a changed situation.

"We look for a situation where they might have had to show a bit of personal resilience, because we have some concern when we draft a player that if he finds it hard to adapt or if he's a bit lonely then you like to be picking fellas who you think have got the coping strategies to be able to adapt to that.

"It's always a risk [drafting players from interstate], but really what you're trying to do is manage your risk in that situation."

Ringo

Agree Cic and due to this diligence have been reasonably successful in retaining stars. You can not always rely on your first choice eg Polec in 2010 to fire.   Would be nice to get another Rockliff in the draft, remember in 2008 he was not selected at all in the National Draft and we picked him up with our final pick in the pre season draft.  Just goes to show you that although initial picks are important if you have done your homework you can still get guns later in the draft. Black was pick 31;  Adcock pick 33 and Banfield pick 31; Patful (imo vastly underrated) pick 56. Daniel Bradshaw was also pick 56.

Cicjose

but no doubt the first pick in any clubs arsenal should be to pick the best player available
for the position that the club lacks depth in

Ringo

I am sure we will be taking the best available at 8 as Voss and Kerr are adamant we will be.  Would be great if Longer or Buntine slipped to 8 but I suspect our choice will be between Tomlinson, Green, Docherty or Sumner.

elephants

Anyone but Toby Greene. He is coming to West Coast ;)

Nah i voted for Greene and Tomlinson to go to the Lions.

Centurions

Longer is a surprise seeing as people were saying that we are going to get McAuley back