Main Menu

All-Australian 40 man squad named

Started by AaronKirk, September 08, 2015, 05:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

Pendles, Dusty, Laird, Cameron, Dalhaus and Walker were all in my side.

RaisyDaisy

OUT: Gibson, Rioli
IN: Laird, NicNat/JPK

Lids replaces Cyril on field, NicNat/JPK bench

fanTCfool

Heard they were choosing between Shaw and Laird for the 2nd back pocket, both of them deserved a spot, not Gibson.

My Chumps

Quote from: Jayman on September 23, 2015, 12:05:08 AM
Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on September 22, 2015, 11:09:06 PM
Quote from: Nige on September 22, 2015, 10:49:04 PM
Quote from: My Chumps on September 22, 2015, 10:43:27 PM
Jesus Christ, Cyril Rioli? Really?
It's actually the most baffling selection.
haha yeah bad. shouldn't have even been in the squad, let alone the team
Yeah agree with this. Gotta be the most overrated player going around at the moment..

Mr.Craig

You lot are out of your minds if you don't think Gibbo should have been AA. Is this bizarro land?

elephants

Quote from: Mr.Craig on September 23, 2015, 02:36:56 PM
You lot are out of your minds if you don't think Gibbo should have been AA. Is this bizarro land?

At the expense of Laird? Surely.

Laird was literally the only real back-pocket!

Mr.Craig

This is who I had

B: Laird, Rance, Gibson
HB: Murphy, Hurley, Shaw
M: Danger, JPK, Fyfe
HF: Stringer, Walker, Gray
F: Betts, JJK, Dahlhaus

R: Goldstein, Pendlebury, Mitchell

Int: Hanners, Dusty, Cameron, Wood

Walker/JRoo, Haus/Wingard were toss ups.

Rusty00

Quote from: elephants on September 23, 2015, 02:54:08 PM
I keep reading this, what is Heath Shaw if he is not a back-pocket?

Every year they name 3 tall defenders for team balance (Wood is not a "tall defender"), so Laird was fighting for a spot with Shaw, Wood and Murphy. He's extremely unlucky but it's stiff competition he's up against.

If they were true to their theme of team balance Laird should have been on the bench as apart from the back six there is no-one in the team who could play as a man-on-man defender.

My Chumps

Quote from: Rusty00 on September 23, 2015, 04:01:27 PM

Every year they name 3 tall defenders for team balance (Wood is not a "tall defender"), so Laird was fighting for a spot with Shaw, Wood and Murphy. He's extremely unlucky but it's stiff competition he's up against.

If they were true to their theme of team balance Laird should have been on the bench as apart from the back six there is no-one in the team who could play as a man-on-man defender.
Can't really think of many AFL teams that play with three key defenders nowadays, so it's a pretty silly selection process if true. Hawthorn are the only one I can think of, and even they're struggling with being too top heavy often throwing Frawley or Lake forward.

The premiership favourites play with a grand total of 0. Key defenders are a thing of the past. It's the McGovern, Wood types that peel off and create two-on-ones that are the most important in todays game. I would lump Gibson into that category, but I don't think his year has constituted selection over Laird. Maybe leave him there and chuck Rory on the pine, then I'd be fine with it.

enzedder

Looking at it on paper... It looks weak. Not commenting on who is in vs who missed out... But just looks a very ordinary AA team to me.

fanTCfool

Quote from: Mr.Craig on September 23, 2015, 03:12:10 PM
This is who I had

B: Laird, Rance, Gibson
HB: Murphy, Hurley, Shaw
M: Danger, JPK, Fyfe
HF: Stringer, Walker, Gray
F: Betts, JJK, Dahlhaus

R: Goldstein, Pendlebury, Mitchell

Int: Hanners, Dusty, Cameron, Wood

Walker/JRoo, Haus/Wingard were toss ups.

I didn't think Cameron Wood was very influential this year.  8)

nrich102

Quote from: My Chumps on September 23, 2015, 06:41:28 PM
Quote from: Rusty00 on September 23, 2015, 04:01:27 PM

Can't really think of many AFL teams that play with three key defenders nowadays, so it's a pretty silly selection process if true. Hawthorn are the only one I can think of, and even they're struggling with being too top heavy often throwing Frawley or Lake forward.

The premiership favourites play with a grand total of 0. Key defenders are a thing of the past. It's the McGovern, Wood types that peel off and create two-on-ones that are the most important in todays game. I would lump Gibson into that category, but I don't think his year has constituted selection over Laird. Maybe leave him there and chuck Rory on the pine, then I'd be fine with it.
If Leppa has his way then Brisbane will be playing 6 key defenders soon :P Sauce, Clarke, The Premier, McStay and Paparone if he counts are all best 22 quality ATM and Gardiner wouldn't be far off.