Open thread for live R2 Coaches Box tonight – FanFooty
FanFooty

Open thread for live R2 Coaches Box tonight

One of the things I have been really happy with on FanFooty is how you fans out there have embraced commenting on this blog. It always pleases me when posts get 100+ comments. For a while I’ve been toying with the idea of “open threads” – where I just let you lot chat amongst yourselves. I have noticed how a lot of comments are just questions about player choices, and while I try to answer them when I can, there’s only so much of that I can do before my brains start dribbling out of my ears.

Okay, so with that in mind, last week Molly and I managed to get all the gremlins out of our systems on the Coaches Box podcast for the Round 1 episode, which was freakin’ awesome if I do say so myself, and Molly has posted all the info about tonight’s live show. As you may know, the format of the show is centred around a review of the previous week’s games with focus on a small group of players in each game, working from a list I compile based on who I think are the players that fantasy coaches are thinking about this week. So why not ask you directly?

What I would like you to do is ask all your burning fantasy questions in the comments on this thread, which will give me an idea of who we should be talking about on the show. I can’t promise to go through all the A vs B choices – especially not the A vs B vs C vs D ones! – but hopefully what we do say about individual players will give you some ideas. Also, if you think you want to call in directly on the show, let us know so we can test out the system before the show kicks off. Get commenting! :D

26 Comments

1. m0nty

April 2, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Also, to those who are waiting on Lethal League bug fixes, I’m on the job today so hopefully I can work them all out soon.

2. Travis32

April 2, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Hey monty – might as well get things started. Pretty happy with how my team is going, but have a couple of issues in my midfield. Andrew Embley is one – he had a good game against Adelaide and only mananged 91 SC points. Is this his max do you think? Also, Travis Boak. He hasn’t kicked on as I thought he might have. I realise he has played geelong and swans, so are you expecting improvement? Cheers

3. tunit

April 2, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Hi – I have a few trade dilemas this week to refine my team. My questionable performances are coming from kennely, hurn, judd, koschitze and foley. I’m thinking of trading out b.hall for hill and foley for corey do you think this is wise or should i get rid of the other underperformers? Also is it worthwile giving s. jhinson a while to sort out his form given that his price will drop dramatically this week?

4. Reecey

April 2, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Hi. love your show guys. Use these questions as you like

1) Do you rate Cameron Wood as DT Fantasy worthy? He gets plenty of gametime, but his scores are only mildly above what his price expects.

2) With rookies, when is the best time to sell them? (examples from past years?)

3) Also, do you see any rookies as keepers who might not need trading and can be started every week?

4) How do you guys rate Ricky Petterd? Who would be a solid target of around the same value (or lower?)

Again, love your show…

5. rod

April 2, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Brendan Fevola–what gives? Is he worth having in any team in any league?

6. sam

April 2, 2008 at 8:50 pm

i reckon fev is a little risky… but we all know how fev went against the bombers last year and he usally plays well against them. Maybe this game will kickstart his year?? any other thoughts on him?

7. Rohan

April 2, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Who should I trade if any?

1) Michael Johnson (Freo) not sure who I would trade him for
    2) Brent Stanton trade up for a high quality mid, open to suggestions from people
    3) Lachie Hansen, trade for a money making defender, probs OSborne
    4) Meesen, trade for either Gardiner or Wood

After suggestions on what I should do. Also looking to join a fanfooty draft style league, my email is rohanlyle@gmail.com

8. Simon

April 2, 2008 at 8:59 pm

I’ve got a few issues monty.

Firstly whats the deal with Stanton, is he likely ot get tagged (and hence get below par scores) every coupoe of weeks?

Also is it worth ditching a forward who hasnt been terrible (such as kane petiffer or Q lynch) in order to get on to cash cow bandwagons like josh hill

Finally what is more urgent, upgrading a C.Wood type player to get on Troy Simmonds or getting rid of those underperforming backline rookies (who are in your 22) for a decent mid-price.

Just my thoughts, love your work.

9. Paul

April 2, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Hi Monty,

Great work with your site and with the podcast last week. I generally log on once every couple of days and appreciate your efforts.

I have a DT question, and I am sure I am not the only one with this issue:

The seventh defender… what to do, hope Pfeiffer keeps playing and Scott DT recalled. Otherwise might have to bite the bullet and use some of my spare cash to upgrade to Bradshaw. (Wanted to use this cash to upgrade C Wood to another premium ruck, but going on recent scores Simmonds may do).

Anyway, would greatly appreciate any thoughts here.

Paul

10. Hally

April 2, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Backline facing a lot of problems – e.g. Mackie out, Hartlett suspended, Scotty DT not getting a game (Jessie Smith could return soon too), and Nicoski potentially getting dropped.

Any troubleshooting tips??? eg sideway trade Mackie; upgrade Nicoski; or mini upgrade Hartlett/Scotty DT to someone like Grundy.

11. Jack

April 2, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Interested in thoughts on fev- trade or keep?

12. Simon

April 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm

If you read above paul you’d see im in the exact same situation haha. I’m going to trade a forward for cash and use the money to upgrade Wood for Simmonds this week and hopefully deal with the 7th defender problem next week. The thing is none of the decent rookies are playing down back and it looks like bradshaw is the only cheap option or if you have enough perhaps thornton or osbourne. Personally i think the rookies down abcka simply not scoring high enough to break into my 22 and i want to upgrade, but others mays see it differently.

13. Matt

April 2, 2008 at 11:11 pm

To trade for cash?? I am happy with my team and dont need to trade but am considering P Burgoiyne for Thorton to make some cash for later (could make 200K on the deal). Is this a stupid strategy?

14. Liam

April 2, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Hey Monty could you guys perhaps discuss whats been happening to a few players that have played well in the preseason and for some reason have gone missing (AWOL) and not even selected. I am mainly speaking of David Armitage and Lachlan Hansen (is he injured?) I am also wondering whether Kreuzer will play or not this weekend.

15. cdrobert

April 2, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Hey Fellas

A discussion on back rookies is of great interest to me. ie is jake edwards or scott thompson gonna get a run. any other back rookies looking to break into the senior team?

cheers fellas

16. Higgo

April 2, 2008 at 11:19 pm

What do you guys think of Jetta? Should trade him for him Hill? Do you think Jetta will improve?
    Travis Tuck is the other one, not sure he will keep up the big scores thinking of brining him in for armitage from the saints, any thoughts?

17. Cam

April 3, 2008 at 12:03 am

yep, consensus from most people here seem to think that the rookie options in the backline are very thin. Some detailed discussion of possible rookies looking to break into the side would be great. Eventually, a cash cow has to be downgraded to another rookie to make money so we will at some stage need another bottom-priced player to hit the 3 game mark before cashing in our cows.

18. Stabillo

April 3, 2008 at 12:26 am

Is downgrading Jetta to Hill to sideway? I already have rioli, gamble. However my only other good cash cow is Bird, with Batram the other rookie mid.

19. dymez

April 3, 2008 at 12:47 am

Man it looks like everyone’s in the same boat here!
    These bl00dy rookie backs just aren’t performing/playing @ all! It will be interesting to see if guys like s.selwood will get named 2mora night. Because they have a staurday game they have to have their finalised team in, in time for the footy show/ afl teams 2mora night.

20. Matt

April 3, 2008 at 12:52 am

Hi Fellas.

Congrats on a great site.

I would like to know your opinion of Cameron Stokes. Will he keep getting a game ? What’s your take on him ? I am seriously considering buying him this week but have my reservations.

Cheers
    Matt

21. dymez

April 3, 2008 at 12:58 am

Getting cam stokes really depends on if you have cyril rioli already..?
    If so then he would be alright atleast to make you some money, because he will play enough games to go up in value, but may not have a massive part in the team come rd.5 when both lewis and crawford return.
    In other words, if you want to make a quick buck and get on him now do it, but if you’re looking for someone to stick around and continuely make $$ then perhaps look elsewhere

Whats your situation anyway matt?

22. dymez

April 3, 2008 at 1:00 am

*lewis actually back this wk. but both will be back by rd.5

23. scott

April 3, 2008 at 1:08 am

monty,

steve johnson…massive confusion. i would never normally trade a gun but is it worth the two trades to pick up hill then make some cash and trade up for another gun at the right time??

thanks mate

24. dymez

April 3, 2008 at 1:20 am

It’s a massive quandry hey scott. Because you know the guy is capable of massive scores but you don’t wanna wait til his value drops massively to find out it’s and off year for him. I’m in exactly the same boat with Goodes, and thank god he got off tonight huh

25. KRG

April 3, 2008 at 1:24 am

To double Simon’s first question: Stanton. If there is any discussion of Ess, please cover Stanton’s DT reliance on a lack of taggers (so far). Is he good enough to score well once they return week in week out. He may kick more than Cross but at 400K we need consistency. Love the show.

26. m0nty

April 3, 2008 at 2:20 am

I’ll close the comments since the show has been recorded already.