FanFooty blog
Don't Miss

Is NG worth the risk?

There’s every chance that Nathan G Brown will be back in action for Richmond pretty soon. Now, I had him in my squad pre-season, and I swapped him out the day before round 1 like many others. For his talent, he’s a bargain at $236k, but I don’t reckon he’s worth drafting in.

Even if he does play regularly, and scores very well (I reckon 75 average is the best you can hope for), I still don’t think it’s worth it. Here’s why.

At this point in the year, I don’t like to ‘downgrade’ to players who will start in my 22. I flog off the bench players for rookies, to free up cash, but there’s no way I’ll recruit someone like Brown to start in the team. I will upgrade players in Brown’s price range for a gun, but I won’t swap them for someone of Brown’s price.

For example, I’m ditching Nathan Bock this week. I’ve had it. He’s gawwwn. But I’m upgrading Bock to a gun; I wouldn’t swap him for someone cheap, because cheap is almost always unreliable. And unreliable uses up trades that could be necessary for injuries, or used constructively for upgrades.

Does that make sense? My objection to Brown is more ideological than practical – I don’t like recruiting players like him at this end of the year. Obviously, you take every case on its merits and at this point the injury concerns are over-riding all else. (Remember how he was all set to go in round 1?)

I hope he proves me wrong. I hope he comes out and starts tearing some shit up, and then everyone will recruit him into their teams and no-one will benefit because everyone has him.

21 Comments

1. Toby

June 6, 2007 at 6:43 am

Im glad im not the only one sick to death of Bock… ive kept him for so long with people telling me he’ll come good, especially with the return on roo… but his score on the weekend proved to me he’s rubbish in my team…
    however, i only have 6 trades left ( i had a number of injuries to key players earlier on). but im happy with every player in my team except him, and all my emergencies are playing each week, and im averaging about 1900…
    wat im trying to say is, would u recommend down trading a bench player and upgrading him to say, C Cornes or G Ablett – or is it not worth the two trades??

Btw, id be downgrading Darcy

2. Phillip Molly Malone

June 6, 2007 at 8:35 am

Hang on, Monty is dropping Bock, time to get onboard is it? ;-)
    Just kidding mate, talk to you tonight for the Coaches Box Podcast!
    Molly

3. Nick

June 6, 2007 at 11:18 am

I think that’s a no-brainer, Toby

4. Toby

June 6, 2007 at 12:26 pm

yeah i know… just felt i needed that extra push to justify it

5. Toon

June 6, 2007 at 10:36 pm

I have also come to the conclusion that i wont be picking up Brown – was considering the Franklin to Brown trade, thus freeing up some cash. Not worth it in my opinion. However, in the same breath, if Matt Campbell (bench warmer) can pull up a couple of decent scores in the next couple of weeks (or any other forward bloke on the pine), this may warrant a trade to Brwon. In essence, i think it may not be a bad idea if Brown was a bench warmer for the rest of the year, as he is more likley to obtain better scores in case of an injury in your staring forwards. My only worry is that he too has a high chance of injury, and may sit out quite of few of the final games…

6. Yofamb

June 6, 2007 at 10:42 pm

I’ve had brown in my side all year, so hopefully he plays alright and can post some consistant scores then i might think about putting him on field. If not i can downgrade him and boost up my other forwards

7. Simon

June 7, 2007 at 12:15 am

Is anyone looking at Kerr this week? At under $300K is he a steel or do some consider him an inconsistent DT scorer?

I’m also looking to pick up Heath Shaw in the next week or 2.

Dumping Jordan McMahon this week as his BE is rather high so his price will fall even further next week. Also off loading Deledio for inconsistency reasons.

Will off load Boyle next week as his price should rise further with a low BE this week.

Thoughts?

8. Tom

June 7, 2007 at 2:54 am

Kerr is a gun. Can’t believe he’s so cheap, and he’ll be freshened up after his two weeks off.

If I want a centre, he’ll be my first priority.

9. Rammers

June 7, 2007 at 2:57 am

Any thoughts on Spider Everitt, I have had him in my team since the start of the season and it seems like he might be starting to run into some form. I had been planning on upgrading him to a White or Fraser but is my money better spent upgrading a centre like Van Berlo?

10. Jocko

June 7, 2007 at 4:14 am

Any thoughts on x.clarke’s role when he returns this week? I’m not sure why but I’ve hung onto him. Was planning on upgrading him to Cornes but I’ll do that with Bock instead (Molly, I’m still angry about your “Bock is a Must” comment earlier in the season). Saints lack pace from half-back/midfield – x.clarke an answer?

11. Phillip Molly Malone

June 7, 2007 at 5:13 am

Sorry Jocko. I don’t believe that I was alone on this one but handle carefully, m0nty is thinking about getting off so he might be coming good.

If you followed my choice of Aaron Davey and taking Pav as captain last week, you would have made up some points.

Just thinking now, we also mentioned last week that plays getting a rev in the media often perform well, so if you knew Wallsy was going to go the Dees you could of cleaned up!
    Molly

12. Tom

June 7, 2007 at 6:30 am

Spida Everitt is a keeper in my team for now, Rammers.

He was incredibly frustrating but does look to have come good. He’s the third-highest Ruck scorer for minutes played (behind Cox and White) so I reckon it’s only a question of gametime.

Cox is tempting, but other trades will take priority.

13. josh

June 7, 2007 at 9:26 am

i got rid of bock a few weeks ago, i was sick of his scores and upgraded to cornes.
    im thinking of gettin rid of darcy now and getting cox but im a bit short on money.
    shall a trade joel selwood for the extra money or brice gibbs???

14. Timba

June 7, 2007 at 11:11 am

Trading Darcy to free up cash…

which rookie or first year ruck (under $90,000) should i trade 4????

15. tom

June 7, 2007 at 11:36 am

Timba, I am settling on Aisake O’hAilpin. Could be a chance to play this week, and in that price range I’m never going to get a good scorer.
    If I need a good scorer, I’ll trade out the player who forces me to need it, and get someone who can fill the gap nicely.

16. josh

June 7, 2007 at 11:37 am

re: timba
    it is hard to get a first year ruckmen that is actually going to get a regular game.
    ivan maric has played a handfull of afl games and at $132,000, is a good bench ruck as griffen and hudson have both been under injury clowds the past few weeks.
    leuenbruger is probably the only first year ruckmen that has a chance to get a game. he has a few people in front of him, but as the year goes on and the lions drop off the pace, mathews may slide him into the side for some expericence.

17. Ed

June 7, 2007 at 11:52 am

Do you guys think Trent Knobel will get many games this year?

18. ken

June 7, 2007 at 12:34 pm

re rucks:
    -O’hAilpin is only available as a back in DT.
    -im from WA and ive been watching Robbie Warnock carve up for West Perth every week, freo should use him again pretty soon as well (the way they’re going and longmuirs injury)

19. Arthur

June 7, 2007 at 12:55 pm

i picked up b.harvey from kangaroos for d.rodan 2 weeks ago and has scored 80 and 35 now his BE is 144 this week i have 7 trades left now im thinking 1 of 3… 1- Leave him, 2- use 1 traded and get like a Lenny Hayes, 0r 3- Trade like one of my bench players and buy a d.cross, k.cornes, wat do u think???

20. Tom

June 8, 2007 at 1:10 am

Trent Knobel has to battle with Pattison, and that might not result in him playing too often.

For one thing, the Tigers have a youth policy. Secondly, Pattison can go forward and kick a goal, which goes in his favour.

Knobel is a risk, but a cheap risk.

21. ken

June 8, 2007 at 1:59 am

trent knobel?! – no (troy simmonds comeback is imminent)